Speculation: Growth player for up coming season

Who will be the Coyotes "growth" player(s) this coming season. (choose up to 2)

• Total voters

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Stepan will get more points because he will be paired with Kessel. We need Keller/DVO/Crouse/Fischer/Chych to take next steps. Chances are that 2 of them will, 2 of them will be average, and one of them will be a disappointment.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Tough question because there are many candidates for different reasons. Chych and Dvo need to have healthy seasons taking a step forward no doubt. Especially after signing the contracts. Same goes for Schmaltz.

Fischer needs a bounce back and so does Keller. They have different amounts to bounce but still they have had better showings in the league than last year.

Crouse took a step forward last year in many aspects but offensively he still has potential there (although that's debatable/ some my think not) so that part of his game could use growth.

Hayton, if he's on the team, is pure growth at this point (we would all assume and hope). But I feel like that's too easy of an answer because he SHOULD be growing as a prospect unless this team fails once again at developing higher end prospects (Not putting that option on the shelf either).

All that to say... I hope they all grow wildly like the Yotes found a radioactive miracle grow batch and used it.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
It's pretty common for players to take a large step in their third seasons in terms of production, so you'd expect Keller to step it up, however, his rookie season was already pretty productive at 65 points, so if that is actually the step up we're looking for it's close to a point per game and thus is a much harder jump than almost any one else on the roster simply finding a way to add 10 to 15 points. Also, if you look at this small sample, his expected goals last season should have been much higher. I think he just got unlucky, and it's kind of reassuring that he has as similar of a shooting profile as Jaden Schwartz there who was snake-bitten all season and then turned it on in the playoffs.

I think Schmaltz has a pretty good record based off his second season and the short bit he was here, but the injury derailed that. Similar to Keller, he should be expected to maintain that level of production, but it's obviously going to be harder for him to jump up even higher as he's already one of the higher point producers on the team. I think good growth could also be measured for both Keller and Schmaltz if they were to achieve their previous levels of point production, but really had cleaned up their defensive coverage and maintained the offense while limiting turnovers.

So on the note of third seasons, both Chychrun and Dvorak came back from injuries during the season and missed out on training camps. Additionally, it's been noted that Chychrun was still dealing with the fallout of his injury, soreness or whatever limiting him to some degree. Hence, it's a good bet that these two should be making the biggest jump as it's the right time developmentally and both should be as close to fully healthy as ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad