OT: Groupe CH wanted a minor pro Baseball team in Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only a matter of time before the Expos are back in Montreal IMO (not sure how much time though..haha). If you build a stadium downtown, the people will come. Simple as that and the city of Montreal loves baseball. A new stadium in the right spot is key

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Only a matter of time before the Expos are back in Montreal IMO (not sure how much time though..haha). If you build a stadium downtown, the people will come. Simple as that and the city of Montreal loves baseball. A new stadium in the right spot is key
Pretty much. Only thing is that finding an area downtown is going to be getting harder and harder. It needs to be within walking distance of the downtown core so that people can just go grab a drink and then head to the game after work. Anything that requires a long metro ride would be doomed to fail right off the bat.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty much. Only thing is that finding an area downtown is going to be getting harder and harder. It needs to be within walking distance of the downtown core so that people can just go grab a drink and then head to the game after work. Anything that requires a long metro ride would be doomed to fail right off the bat.

My perspective is from outside the city as I live in Halifax. I visit Montreal about 5-10 times a year and for what it's worth, the location of a stadium is key. The city needs to plan for this IMO. Sport is just as important to a city as convention centers or condos.

The Expos logo is iconic in the sports world and they are still selling merchandising. People need to put their heads together and bring them back.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
In 2012 Habs owners were interested in bringing minor pro baseball to Montreal. Unfortunately did not got support from the city to build a multifunction 10 000 seat stadium on Saint Helene Island.

Le Groupe CH a songé à une équipe de baseball mineur | Vincent Brousseau-Pouliot | Sports

Would have been a nice proof of concept to gage baseball interest for a potential major leagues return.

Agree, also the idea of a stadium on Ile Ste-Hélene for multi purpose is very nice, l'Ile Ste-Helene should be use more....like a marketing card for Montréal and be the heaven of entertainment

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Both teams in Florida will be getting relocated in the furture..........Rays and Marlins will soon have NO fan support....only a matter of time for the Expos to get a team back...

Downtown Ballpark is the key!!

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Both teams in Florida will be getting relocated in the furture..........Rays and Marlins will soon have NO fan support....only a matter of time for the Expos to get a team back...

Downtown Ballpark is the key!!

better hope it's the Rays and not the Marlins lol

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

What are the possible locations that would fit something this size?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Griffintown is the place they talk the most as a possible site for a new stadium

Plenty of places near downtown I would just level and build something new. Objectively speaking, 'Farines Five Roses' is ugly as ****.

But yeah, people get sentimental about that stuff, not realizing that the new building would be even better than the old piece of concrete and metal that will anyways keep on degrading over time.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I live in Griffintown, the Peel Bassin is yes a good spot. Close to downtown (15 minutes walk), lot of restaurants, bar, hotel around, a nice view on the skyline PLUS the iconic five roses sign which is beautiful, and the REM will stop there too, so it will be easy for people from west island and south shore to get to the game

But I'd prefer not have public funds build that stadium

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->