World Cup: Group G: England vs. Belgium, Panama vs. Tunisia; 6/28/2018

Who finishes first?

• Total voters

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I expect an absolute show in the Belgium v England game.
The winner gets an opponent that's in the same tier as any other team in group H (underdog vs either Belgium or England) and the loser gets a (for now) much better part of the bracket.
3-3 tie with 6 own goals. Noone wants to win this.

Though who knows at this point, if France play with the same thing in mind, they might want a spot in the "easy" half of the bracket as well - and than it's not that easy anymore.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Martinez has said he will rest most of the starting lineup so England should probably be favourites to win this.

Not really though, England will likely do the same and Belgium still have a lot more depth in their line-up.

Pressure is on Belgium. They're a tournament favorite for a reason.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Pressure is on Belgium. They're a tournament favorite for a reason.

In this game? Pressure is to play a decent game and lose.

As mentioned, 2nd place presumably will give you the bottom half of the draw which should feature Spain and Croatia... And one of BEL/ENG.
Top half (barring surprises) should feature France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, the other of BEL/ENG.

That's what happens when Russia and Poland are top seeds in 2/8 groups.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
In this game? Pressure is to play a decent game and lose.

As mentioned, 2nd place presumably will give you the bottom half of the draw which should feature Spain and Croatia... And one of BEL/ENG.
Top half (barring surprises) should feature France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, the other of BEL/ENG.

That's what happens when Russia and Poland are top seeds in 2/8 groups.

I fully understand the logic of why both team's fanbases want play a good game and lose.

But no manager or player ever plays to lose. If both managers play a completely changed team its not because they want to lose.

And yes, in this game, personally i think there is pressure on both sides, because as zee Germans like to point out, both teams have only beaten scrubs so far and this game is actually quite a good test of where both teams are at, and as Belgium are the higher ranked team by quite a stretch, have a much deeper team by quite a stretch and have much "bigger" star players that does put them as favorites and therefore a loss in this game, no matter how irrelevant, should be seen as a failure.

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
Goldman Sachs has picked England to go the Finals of the WC!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Remember when I got beat down here when I said that Harry Kane had a better season than Messi? Seems like I need some apologies...

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
So will the kings of "fair play" :rolleyes: England purposely lose tomorrow? You know the nation that hates diving and cheats...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think Southgate can afford to take it easy, this team needs to develop some more chemistry. All I ask for is no more Ashley Young and no more Sterling in the middle. I realize that he'll probably never start all three of Alli/Loftus-Cheek/Lingard but I'm content with that...I'm just sick of seeing Sterling constantly lose the ball to big CBs or finish poorly.

Remember when I got beat down here when I said that Harry Kane had a better season than Messi? Seems like I need some apologies...

Stick to WHL scouting.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
With the way England is playing Rooneys probably wishing he played one last wc

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Tunisia btw having to start their third keeper, first two are injured, FIFA wouldn't permit adding a new one, so the back-up is a midfielder.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Martinez will be fielding more of a b-side tonight. Not the worst idea considering that they will get in a much better part of the bracket if they finished second in the group.

Mar 1, 2002
This isn't your mothers England squad. Or your older brother. Or...you 4 years ago.

I don't think they fear any team and will play to win and they will do just that.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
TBH, if any one of these sides fields anything resembling a decent team, I'll be cheering for them to win next in the round.

And whoever comes 2nd, I hope it backfires on them and they lose to Colombia/Japan/Senegal... Somehow.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The two sqads I associate the most with. Oh well.
Allez les Diables Rouges!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->