World Cup: Group F: South Korea vs. Germany, Mexico vs. Sweden; 6/27/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
Man, now I get what Brian Burke meant when he said "we cannot allow our league to become like european soccer". These guys flop all over the place. Do they have no shame acting like this?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Close enough to a natural position.

That's the problem with handballs in soccer. If you're going to have VAR, handballs need to be a black and white rule instead of up to interpretation.

Just because the arm is in a nominally natural position doesn't mean it's automatically not a handball. He moved his entire body (and arm along with it) in order to make a play on the ball. Natural position is used when it's a ball to hand type situation to see if the player was trying to intentionally make himself bigger (the red card pen a week or so ago), not to fully mitigate any handball offense.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I'm not familiar with soccer. Do these guys play for different leagues like hockey players?
Yes its just Like the Olympics in hockey.. Just with billions and billions of viewers!! Biggest sports event in the world and its not Even close!

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Put in Brandt and Gomez. Gomez because this is the one game were he actually would be useful with his heading ability and Brandt because HOW THE f*** IS HE NOT ALREADY ON THE FIELD TO BEGIN WITH.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
so if both games ended 0-0.. who goes through, Sweden or Germany? Germany, right? Because Germany beat them 2-1?

Sweden would have to get a win or a 2-2 draw to go through, if Germany stays 0-0?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Definitely close enough to a natural position if the ball had struck him by accident. The problem is he deliberately played the ball with his arm.
But the rule gives way too much leeway that you can say he left his arm at a natural position and tried to play with with his chest.

With VAR, that rule needs to be black and white now. And it's not, that's a huge problem.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Man, now I get what Brian Burke meant when he said "we cannot allow our league to become like european soccer". These guys flop all over the place. Do they have no shame acting like this?
It is a shame, I agree. But they are doing this to gain an advantage for their teams (to get a penalty, a yellow card for an opponent, to waste time, etc.). Unfortunately, neither league has done much to discourage this type of behavior.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
That is not how Mexico plays though. Doesn't matter. The counter attack is what has made them successful. Let that sweeper push to midfield and we've seen what happens.
I know how Mexico plays. Germany didnt look this good against them Sweden normally parks the bus. Other than Velas chance Mexico didnt look threatening till the end. Mexico is lucky it is level.

Reactions: Legionnaire

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Germany team photo in the dictionary under "sclerotic". This is tiki taka deprived of any energy or creativity. If they by some miracle go through..well they're not gonna go very far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad