World Cup: Group F: South Korea vs. Germany, Mexico vs. Sweden; 6/27/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I honestly doubt that Khedira plays. It would create the same problem that we had against Mexico. We wanted to have more cohesion between the midfield and the defenders. I have no idea how he plays it though. Jogi is good for a surprise.

I hope you are right but never over-estimate Jogi, as kicker’s speculating about a Sami return...for what little that’s worth...
Probably won't be a back three, so I expect Kroos-Gunogan-Khedira/Goretska. My suspicion is that recent praise of Goretska's performance in camp by an asst coach is a hint that he'll start. Regardless of who it is, they simply have to commit to playing deep behind Kroos and supporting the CBs. I'd rather guess at Goretska's ability than take what I know about Khedira. Different from the first two matches is that S Korea have to attack, so they'll be vulnerable from start to finish, unlike Mexico and Sweden. Should be entertaining no matter what the score line.

Yeah reading that comment gave me a lot of hope that we might finally see a Toni, Ilkay & Leon midfield trio...even if Mesut continues to be wasted on the bench.

Our best shapes, with this roster, are a back four with that trio or a back three with Kroos partnering Ilkay or Rudy. Front three in either a trident with Mesut in a free role behind Werner & Reus/Brandt; or a more traditional front three with Werner leading the line.

But the Jogi factor is ever present...

Last edited:

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
frustrating to beat Germany. get 6 points and still not be safe.
Lets do this Mexico.

and i do wanna see Germany vs Brazil. so lets go Germany too.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
frustrating to beat Germany. get 6 points and still not be safe.
Lets do this Mexico.

and i do wanna see Germany vs Brazil. so lets go Germany too.

If Germany does advance, and I'm hoping so, they just went from the frying pan to the fire in the next stage. Could be the best match of the whole tourney but it's too early for it IMO.

Reactions: Disclose

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Just to correct the OP, there is no scenario where Germany and South Korea could both advance. Glad to see it has zero votes :laugh:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Mexico and South Korea will advance.

Would be quite something for South Korea to advance at this point. They need to win by 2 goals and hope Sweden lose. But here's hoping, I'd like to see it just for shock value.

Edit: Thinking about it now, a one-goal Korean win could see them advance on fair play tiebreaker if Sweden lose by 2+.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Would be quite something for South Korea to advance at this point. They need to win by 2 goals and hope Sweden lose. But here's hoping, I'd like to see it just for shock value.

Edit: Thinking about it now, a one-goal Korean win could see them advance on fair play tiebreaker if Sweden lose by 2+.

I believe in miracles. BBC has officially claimed South Korea's chance of making the Round of 16 as 1%.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I hope you are right but never over-estimate Jogi, as kicker’s speculating about a Sami return...for what little that’s worth...

Yeah reading that comment gave me a lot of hope that we might finally see a Toni, Ilkay & Leon midfield trio...even if Mesut continues to be wasted on the bench.

Our best shapes, with this roster, are a back four with that trio or a back three with Kroos partnering Ilkay or Rudy. Front three in either a trident with Mesut in a free role behind Werner & Reus/Brandt; or a more traditional front three with Werner leading the line.

But the Jogi factor is ever present...
I read that kicker article too. If Khedira plays, I hope he gets that he needs to stay back as well. It's obvious, everyone can see it, so he just has to as well, right? Right?...
It all depends on what Jogi wants to play him as. Still feel strange crapping on Khedira. He's not Draxler bad and was very serviceable in his role.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I read that kicker article too. If Khedira plays, I hope he gets that he needs to stay back as well. It's obvious, everyone can see it, so he just has to as well, right? Right?...
It all depends on what Jogi wants to play him as. Still feel strange crapping on Khedira. He's not Draxler bad and was very serviceable in his role.

He's good offensively, but he leaves a gap wide open on the right end, so Korea can take advantage of that.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
He's good offensively, but he leaves a gap wide open on the right end, so Korea can take advantage of that.
I know. It's Jogi's tactic. He plays with all midfielders pressing so a lot of room is there. You put him on the central defensive midfield and I'm sure he could fill the role, he's experienced enough. You don't need to be that fast, often good positioning suffices. And he's not that strong offensively either, at least comparable to other players on the squad. Jogi just shouldn't risk so much and rather play with quality offense, not quantity.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I know. It's Jogi's tactic. He plays with all midfielders pressing so a lot of room is there. You put him on the central defensive midfield and I'm sure he could fill the role, he's experienced enough. You don't need to be that fast, often good positioning suffices. And he's not that strong offensively either, at least comparable to other players on the squad. Jogi just shouldn't risk so much and rather play with quality offense, not quantity.

Korea has a solid 3-3-4 method, which can outplay Germany's 2-2-6 method. I have faith.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Korea has a solid 3-3-4 method, which can outplay Germany's 2-2-6 method. I have faith.
The Koreans are fast and can counter. If Germany plays like the last two games, the Koreans could surprise, but I have faith too. They haven't forgotten how to play all of a sudden.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It doesn’t matter, if Khedira starts we’re already a goal down. He’s just as useless as Draxler

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Sorry, but nobody except Swedes wants to see Sweden in top 16, they are a snooze fest team

When they beat out the Italians to get here I was torn - Italy not making it was sweet, but a minimum of three games just became unwatchable.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
When they beat out the Italians to get here I was torn - Italy not making it was sweet, but a minimum of three games just became unwatchable.

When Italy and Holland didn't qualify, I felt no schadenfreude. I did with Chile though, the Jara-Cavani incidient made me forever hate them (though most South American national teams go into that category for me, it's just their football culture... doesn't mean they are better or worse than what they are, just that the whining, diving, faking injuries, cheating, entitlement, cheating again, etc... is on another level compared to almost everyone else. Colombia is the most likable for me).

But Holland and Italy out, like you said, just brings down the quality. Teams like Poland and Switzerland abused the crap out of the ranking system, get high seeds and ruin one side of the KO bracket.
At the same time, although Holland and Italy are on a down (they will both pick it up, no question, just a matter of time), the name along brings more intrigue and enjoyment to the games. And who knows, maybe they just go on a hot streak and perform well .
So yeah, I miss them.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It doesn’t matter, if Khedira starts we’re already a goal down. He’s just as useless as Draxler

Khedira is underrated by most fans. Having watched a LOT of Juve games over the last 2-3 years, dude is fine when put into position to succeed.
People can harp on Khedira and Kroos playing double pivot, blaming them, but that just isn't going to work with both fullbacks 30m away from the opposing goal line.

When Conte plays 3-4-3, he's got 5 people ready to defend the entire time (and he revitalized the system in the first place).
When Pep plays it, he's got on DM and a the fullback on the off-side ready to cover.
When Zidane plays his 4-3-3 at Madrid (or played) he had Casemiro and the world fastest CB pairing covering (and even then it looked shaky a lot of the times).
Etc etc.

Germany 2014 had Lahm. He wasn't only the captain, he was tactically disciplined and always in the right place.
Kimmich, while aready a great young player, has looked absolutely lost defensively this tournament.
Offensively their system boils down to "what Kroos can do with the ball" and defensively they are getting ruined by counter attacks - and it took them one and a half game to recognize it and adjust.

TLDR; I think you (I don't about other German fans) are hating on Khedira way too much. While he may not be the solution for Germany's struggles, he certainly isn't the problem.

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Khedira is underrated by most fans. Having watched a LOT of Juve games over the last 2-3 years, dude is fine when put into position to succeed.
People can harp on Khedira and Kroos playing double pivot, blaming them, but that just isn't going to work with both fullbacks 30m away from the opposing goal line.

When Conte plays 3-4-3, he's got 5 people ready to defend the entire time (and he revitalized the system in the first place).
When Pep plays it, he's got on DM and a the fullback on the off-side ready to cover.
When Zidane plays his 4-3-3 at Madrid (or played) he had Casemiro and the world fastest CB pairing covering (and even then it looked shaky a lot of the times).
Etc etc.

Germany 2014 had Lahm. He wasn't only the captain, he was tactically disciplined and always in the right place.
Kimmich, while aready a great young player, had looked absolutely lost defensively this tournament.
Offensively their system boils down to "what Kroos can do with the ball" and defensively they are getting ruined by counter attacks - and it took them one and a half game to recognize it and adjust.

TLDR; I think you (I don't about other German fans) are hating on Khedira way too much. While he may not be the solution for Germany's struggles, he certainly isn't the problem.

He creates an open gap for opponents to counterattack, due to his offensive stance. He's certainly a formidable defender, but he doesn't make German defense all that perfect.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I could not sleep as must win for Germany basically. Please no Khedira! Rather have Goretzka in!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->