Euro: Group F: ISL vs. AUS & HUN vs. POR, 6/22/2016

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
yes. albania out.

Only Hungary, France and Wales still don't know their opponents.

Wales should face Northern Ireland, no?

They're taking on whichever had the best record of the 3rd place teams in A/C/D.

Albania: 3pts, -2
N.Ireland: 3pts, 0
Turkey: 3pts, -2

Does that not mean Northern Ireland advances? Or is this bracket system even more complicated and random than I thought? :laugh:

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Wales should face Northern Ireland, no?

They're taking on whichever had the best record of the 3rd place teams in A/C/D.

Albania: 3pts, -2
N.Ireland: 3pts, 0
Turkey: 3pts, -2

Does that not mean Northern Ireland advances? Or is this bracket system even more complicated and random than I thought? :laugh:

yes, Northern Ireland advances. But Wales plays N. Ireland or Turkey.

If Turkey advances, Northern Ireland plays France.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
As of June 3:

Group F Winners Betting Odds:

Portugal: 1.83, 5/6, -120
Austria: 3.25, 9/4, +225
Iceland: 6.0, 5/1, +500
Hungary: 13.0, 12/1, +1200

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
13423800_10154066848530709_2640357074673871030_n.jpg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Absolutely desperate for the Irish to get dumped out. This happening with a sense of grievance on their part would be just delightful. Carry on, Italy.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Today might have just been the second most embarrassing moment in our soccer history (Euro 2004 final is worse)...even worse than 2002.

Being in the easiest group in European Cup history, in combination with our best squad in almost a decade, and coming out with three draws and being the worst third place team...celebrating a goal by Iceland, ICELAND!!!! so we avoid the Titanic side of the bracket is just shameful.

The quality of our soccer has been in large point poor to average, today besides 10 minutes before half and 20 minutes after we were a shambles. No defensive solidarity, no fluid transition in midfield, no dynamic attack. ******** ourselves every time the current football power of Hungary attacked (in large part due to Eliseu being utter **** and Carvalho showing his age with 3 games in 12 days) was painful to watch. We were SO LUCKY they hit the post after Ronaldo and Quaresma worked to tie it 3-3. I foresaw another Hungary chance immediately after we scored and it almost occurred. We were so fragile in midfield, William couldn't cover an already soft backline at all and gave Hungarian B team players (Hungary rested 4/5 starters) so much time and space.

Eliseu was a pylon at leftback, he showed Dzudzeuek onto his favoured left foot time and time again and couldn't provide any depth in attack or combinations.

Ricardo Carvalho was superb the first two matches but I mentioned before this match Fonte should start as 3 games in 12 days is far too much for a 38 year old, and it showed. He was slow off he mark on multiple occasions today.

Vieirinha is just average.

Moutinho has played 90 minutes in his previous 3 months for Monaco, of course he's in **** form due to injury, the difference when we had an actual midfielder there was paramount.

Andre Gomes was not 100% and it showed, so ********ing slow. He should never have started with the quality options we have on the bench.

Once Renato Sanches came on and Joao Mario was shifted into his natural box to box position there was a huge difference...those first 20 minutes despite those two extremely lucky deflections we were finally fluid in midfield with Joao Mario skipping past players and interchanging quick passes with Sanches/William to penetrate down the middle and out wide.

Renato did well initially, but those last 20 minutes he lost the ball more often than not and he's a complete anarchist both positionally and tactically...Adrien Silva is our best option to partner the D-mid, but I'll get to that later.

Ronaldo stepped up today and integrated himself more towards the team, and it showed. Nani has a touch of a concrete wall now otherwise he would have had 2 more goals, but atleast he and Ronaldo have a understanding in their movement.

Fernando Santos needs to be fired, regardless of what we do (unless we go on to win the tournament)...putting on Danilo with 15 minutes left to tie a match against HUNGARY, letting them pass the ball around...being content with a TIE against HUNGARY, despite knowing it would have put us onto the death row side of the bracket was shocking. Has it come to that point with us? Has our pride and ambition fallen so low? Are we scared of taking the game to a below average opposition (No disrespect Hungary but on paper they are just that) whose legs were gone after 75 minutes of attempting to chase everything? Do we have no winning mentality and desire to finish top of our group knowing it would lead to a better bracket, and ultimately is where we should be due to the players we possess?!?!?!?!

It's come down to trembling and struggling against Hungary, Iceland, and Austria. And that is a complete embarrassment. 3 games, 3 draws:

Game 1 where we were average
Game 2 where we were dominant but failed to finish
Game 3 where we were **** for the most part and played for the draw the last 15 minutes against HUNGARY, celebrating a goal from ICELAND to be our salvation.

How far things have come....

There are few positives to come from todays match but I'll list them:

The mentality we showed to come back and tie it twice after those two ridiculous deflections showed some character and fight. After those two goals, combined with how we dismantled Austria but failed to convert, made it seemed like fate/the world/karma/whatever else you want to call it...was stacked against us.

Ronaldo integrated himself and was far more involved, hopefully he's alright after that fall..the last thing we need is Ronaldo on one leg like in the previous world cup wasting space out there against a top team like Croatia...who are far more tactically and positionaly sound than any of the three teams we played...with by far more talent.

Joao Moutinho, Eliseu, and Andre Gomes when not 100% CANNOT START. Especially with only two days of rest between games...we need fresh blood. ADRIEN was the best centre midfielder in Portugal this season alongside Joao Mario and Renato Sanches, and he needs to start now. He, William, and Joao Mario played together all season, use that to our advantage to solidify midfield with Adrien bringing stability to cover the back 4 and also powerfully push forward like he can. Which liberates Joao Mario to play his natural position and have Renato Sanches or Rafa as the fourth element.

Quaresma showed again that he's a perfect sparkplug off the bench against tired legs, and that should be his role. It suits him perfectly, he can come on at half or with 30/35 minutes to go to break through some tired defenders and be more creative.

In the end the group stage has been shocking, and going up against Croatia with Modric/Rakitic/Kovavic/Brozokovic in midfield will make us underdogs..playing the way we did today...it wont be pretty.

Croatia's defense can be got at but Ronaldo needs to be fit and we need to find the perfect balance in midfield, along with Raphael Gurreiro bombing down the left side.

Fonte needs to start otherwise Carvalho will be run into the ground.

Danilo or William Carvalho to start? Danilo is far more mobile being super quick and strong defensively, but William Carvalho has superb feet and passing range while being sluggish at times....I'm honestly at a loss here because when playing hungry William can do a job but playing like he did today where the back 4 was super exposed....Modric and Rakitic will eat him alive.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
tell us how you really feel :laugh:

The best part about that 2nd Iceland goal, is I can cheer for the Croats now. Nothing against Portugal mind you, I just always found them an entertaining as heck team to watch. A shame Eduardo is not on the team this year though :(

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
40. though in that pic it does kind of look like he has an adult diaper on underneath those

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad