World Cup: Group F: Germany vs. Sweden, 6/23/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I have no idea how the ref missed that penalty, and then on top of that you have a clown sitting in front of a TV screen and he doesn't see it as well? A bloody joke, Boateng was the last guy there, should've been a red and a penalty for Sweden, they got jobbed hard.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I have no idea how the ref missed that penalty, and then on top of that you have a clown sitting in front of a TV screen and he doesn't see it as well? A bloody joke, Boateng was the last guy there, should've been a red and a penalty for Sweden, they got jobbed hard.

Eh from TV at first sight, you wouldn't see it's a pen. I know I didn't. You have to see it in slow-mo to see that Boateng makes real contact. To be honest, while I don't know why VAR wasn't used, in the days before VAR i.e. before this year, this type of close call happened all the time and would not really be more than a footnote.

It was early in the game and Sweden scored not too soon thereafter anyway, and if this pen had happened, Rudy likely would not have been injured and who knows what else happened. Germany had enough chances to score 4-5.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I never heard about Schön's breakdown. I did hear that Beckenbauer and the team was not satisfied with his tactics and strongly influenced his decisions.

My source is Tor! by Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger, which leaves us with the poignant image of Schon shutting himself up in his hotel room with barely the will to eat after the game, then needing to be pretty much steered through an ensuing press conference by Beckenbauer.

Reactions: cgf

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
My source is Tor! by Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger, which leaves us with the poignant image of Schon shutting himself up in his hotel room with barely the will to eat after the game, then needing to be pretty much steered through an ensuing press conference by Beckenbauer.
That book's been on my list for ages but I never read it. I have to pick it up at one point. I heard good things about it.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
That book's been on my list for ages but I never read it. I have to pick it up at one point. I heard good things about it.

German not being my first language, I don't have much to compare it against in terms of exploring the history of the German game. But I'd recommend it as an engaging, informative and, at times, moving read.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Jogi definitely looks out of his depth, not a good sign when the manager of the German national team has that deer in the headlights look that you often see from the Enlgand manager.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Meh, goals change games and Sweden got the first goal anyway...plus they got Boa booted as well. The Swedes have no one to blame but themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad