• Brazil and Serbia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Costa Rica is eliminated.

I think the Swiss actually have the inside track to first place. Why? They could beat Costa Rica by more than Brazil beats Serbia as Costa Rica should field their reserves.

Brazil only needs a draw to qualify. A win greater than Switzerland's would get them first place.

Serbia could qualify with a win or draw. A win would lead to them qualifying, and its implications on Brazil depend on what happens in Swiss-Costa Rica. If the Swiss lose, Brazil and Serbia could advance with a draw, dependent upon goals scored.

So there's a lot that could happen here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany & Brazil missing each other in the round of 16 by both coming in second in their groups, might be even more amazing than having basically every favorite on the same side of the bracket :laugh:

Reactions: Eisen

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Germany & Brazil missing each other in the round of 16 by both coming in second in their groups, might be even more amazing than having basically every favorite on the same side of the bracket :laugh:

The German-Mexican games are also earlier in the day. So Mexico won't have the option to throw a game and ensure they avoid Brazil, even when they really need it. There is no chance in hell of Mexico ever beating Brazil and that could be their reward for winning the group.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Hope Tite starts Douglas Costa instead of Willian and Firmino instead of Jesus (clearly hasn't handled well the pressure of being our #9 at a WC). Although, Firmino finishing kinda sucks for a striker. Douglas is twice the player Willian is. With Neymar, Coutinho and Marcelo teams are going to overload their defense right side so we need someone capable of taking advantage of 1x1 situations, DC does just that. He changed the game today.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The German-Mexican games are also earlier in the day. So Mexico won't have the option to throw a game and ensure they avoid Brazil, even when they really need it. There is no chance in hell of Mexico ever beating Brazil and that could be their reward for winning the group.

That would be too funny for the Mexicans :laugh:

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
These games being after Group F's provides the opportunity for Brazil to avoid Germany if both teams advance. If Group E's games were played beforehand like they should be, it would have been more likely to see that match-up in the next round as Germany has to win regardless. Why are they being played later anyway?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
These games being after Group F's provides the opportunity for Brazil to avoid Germany if both teams advance. If Group E's games were played beforehand like they should be, it would have been more likely to see that match-up in the next round as Germany has to win regardless. Why are they being played later anyway?
I'm happy. I work the night shift, so I can watch the game. The evening game is played during one of my busiest phases. They probably did it because of me.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Gonna be rooting for Serbia today.

Our rivalry (and it is "just" a rivalry for sane people) aside, Brazil is so unlikable I'd enjoy watching them get knocked out in the group stage.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah definitely pulling for Serbs. I don't care for the political nonsense and don't like how they acted after the last game - looking at you Krstajić - but they have many likable players and they are fun to watch.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'd like Brazil and Serbia to both go through, but hard to imagine the Swiss screwing this up

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'd like Brazil and Serbia to both go through, but hard to imagine the Swiss screwing this up

No, no. In order for my shadenfreuede to kick in, Brazil has to go out. :D

I will never, ever forgive them for the Fred penalty. Ever.
Petty? Sure. But I will also never forget the 7-1 game and all those lovely tears.
And for that, I'll always have a soft spot for Germany.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No, no. In order for my shadenfreuede to kick in, Brazil has to go out. :D

I will never, ever forgive them for the Fred penalty. Ever.
Petty? Sure. But I will also never forget the 7-1 game and all those lovely tears.
And for that, I'll always have a soft spot for Germany.

I don't blame you, but my son's cheering for Brazil, so I'd like to keep him interested. This will probably be the first World Cup he'll really have lasting memories of, so maybe he'll get a chance to experience his own Fred moment and re-evaluate :)

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Wasn't that said about Mexico's chances against Germany?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Wasn't that said about Mexico's chances against Germany?

I honestly don't know how anyone can say there's "no chance in hell" of anything happening in a tournament like this. OK, no chance in hell of one of the minnows winning the whole thing? fine. That's getting into cumulative chances. But any particular match? Always a chance, and often not even that bad a one.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Imagine the scenes if Serbia and Switzerland win, resulting in Brazil joining Germany in getting knocked out at the group stage.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I actually was feeling an upset today and bet Serbia...we'll see if South Korea already used up all the upset magic. Brazil and Germany both failing to advance would be incredible.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad