Euro: Group E: ITA vs. IRE & SWE vs. BEL, 6/22/2016

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
What? Why? It was a bunch of backups with literally nothing to play for.

They kind of ruined the spirit of competition. People moan about managers playing reserve sides even in league matches and those aren't as vital as this match was.

Italians complain so much about the 2-2 of Sweden/Denmark or the crap in Korea but in reality they're probably the cheapest bunch of cheats and cynics in football across the world.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Disagree, if I'm an Italy player my mind is going to be 100% on the Spain game rather then this one.

Ireland played their assess off all game to barely scrap by the Italy reserves...

Conte angered me by not playing Insigne earlier though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Hopefully they get curb stomped anyway. Conte's personnel choices frustrate me more than Löw's. It's like he didn't watch Napoli at all this year. No Insigne, no Jorginho, no party.

Yeah, I hope so too in large part because I hate their tactics. These team selections and formations also should temper down Chelsea fans expectations.

Funniest thing of all is that people were saying Italy got screwed over but with this result and their proposed formats they'd still play a second place team. :D

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Disagree, if I'm an Italy player my mind is going to be 100% on the Spain game rather then this one.

Ireland played their assess off all game to barely scrap by the Italy reserves...

Those reserves and that manager should beat Ireland every single time. 100 times out of 100. Yet they couldn't even score here and barely scored against Sweden. They were also outpossessed in both games.

The Belgium result feels like Italy got the benefit of playing against a team led by a no-mark. There's not a single other side with quality in this tournament that I'd expect them to beat.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Those reserves and that manager should beat Ireland every single time. 100 times out of 100. Yet they couldn't even score here and barely scored against Sweden. They were also outpossessed in both games.

The Belgium result feels like Italy got the benefit of playing against a team led by a no-mark. There's not a single other side with quality in this tournament that I'd expect them to beat.

Mission accomplished by Italy then. Much like the Belgium game, they always play best when people expect them to get their ass kicked.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Lol, there was some hope after the Ireland game, but we went back into sucky mode today it seems, what a terrible game :laugh:

Not only is Wilmots a horrible coach, he's getting routinely helped by 'weak' draws. We had easy groups in both WC and EC qualifying and at the WC group stage. And now, because we were so bad against Italy, we're getting rewarded with the easiest road to the final in the history of the world. Well done

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Meh, one goal against in three games, they still finished first in the group and all starters get some rest before the real games start vs. Spain.

Happy for Ireland (and N.Ireland as well) to advance into the knockout stage.

Might see a few Cinderellas this year.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Also, these Swedish fans were pretty good

nnLlZ1h.jpg

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I hope so too in large part because I hate their tactics. These team selections and formations also should temper down Chelsea fans expectations.

Funniest thing of all is that people were saying Italy got screwed over but with this result and their proposed formats they'd still play a second place team. :D

Conte is a very good coach, but I hope Italy develops more coaches like Sarri and Giampaolo, and that that eventually bleeds over into the national team style.

You can always remind Chelsea fans how United did after van Gaal led the Netherlands to a 3rd place finish.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Few things quite compare with the feeling of emptiness that comes from witnessing a major tournament defeat in person.

The long walk of shame from the stadium to where the busses were did not help, but the anger from how outrageously poorly organised the shuttle buses were did have some therapeutic effect.

Really sad that Kim, Isak and Ibra ended their international careers in this fashion. They will be sorely missed.

Anyway, I now have another five days in southern France that I will spend without giving another thought about football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->