Euro: Group E: ITA vs. IRE & SWE vs. BEL, 6/22/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Should be smooth passage for Belgium leaving Sweden on the outside. You never really know until it happens though. Ireland also could get a result given that Italy may rotate their team with their matchup against Spain being locked in.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Someone has to explain which teams are facing third place teams and why.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Should be smooth passage for Belgium leaving Sweden on the outside. You never really know until it happens though. Ireland also could get a result given that Italy may rotate their team with their matchup against Spain being locked in.

I expect Italy to lose, even if they bring in a whole lot of new players for this game. Italians don't usually perform that well when nothing is at stake.

The stand-in players know that they won't make the starting line-up against Spain no matter what they do in this game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Yeah I can't really make sense of it either. :help:

Seems like Italy drew the short straw, big time. Not impossible by any means, but a tough challenge ahead for sure.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Yeah I can't really make sense of it either. :help:

Seems like Italy drew the short straw, big time. Not impossible by any means, but a tough challenge ahead for sure.

Ridiculous.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Winners of groups A, B, C, and D get to play third place teams.

Why? Luck of the draw. Anyone who wound up in those four groups had a chance of winning them to play third place teams and those who didn't, didn't.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008

Why? Luck of the draw. Anyone who wound up in those four groups had a chance of winning them to play third place teams and those who didn't, didn't.

Thanks. Still ridiculous.

I think it should be goal differential.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Conte is set to field a pretty much entirely different starting 11 for this game.

Will be good to see what some of the younger strikers can do, I'm hoping they will come out fired up ready to earn a spot vs Spain.

The entire Juve 3 Backline and Buffon looks to be rested. Which makes sense... Italy knows Spain is coming up, any of the starters would be hard-pressed to put in a real effort knowing that game is coming.

Probable Lineup for Italy:

Sirigu
Barzagli - Ogbonna - Darmian
De Sciglio - Florenzi - T. Motta - Sturaro - Bernardeschi
Zaza - Immobile

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

So the more favourable matchups are based not on merit or skill, but chance?

That's unfortunate. :laugh:

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
So the more favourable matchups are based not on merit or skill, but chance?

That's unfortunate. :laugh:

Sounds like they wanted to make sure Group A got one and had to keep going and ran out at D.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Not sure what to expect from that Italian lineup against a highly-motivated team Ireland.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Why don't the top four group winners draw the third place teams? Would that make too much sense?

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
my predictions:

Italy - Ireland 0:3
Sweden - Belgium 1:0

->
#1 Italy
#2 Ireland
#3 Sweden
#4 Belgium

:sarcasm:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So here's the options:

Italy advances.

Belgium will advance if they draw/win or if Ireland loses/draw and Belgium doesn't lose by 4+ goals.

Sweden will advance with a win, are eliminated by a loss/draw.

Ireland will advance with a win, are eliminated by a loss/draw.

If Ireland or Sweden win then the group will advance 3 teams. In that case the 3rd place team would play France.

If both fail to win then Turkey would advance as the 4th 2rd place team.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Forza!!!!!!!!!! My Irish colleagues and I are going at it. Mercy is for the drunk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->