Euro: Group E: Belgium vs. Italy, 6/13/2016

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The smarter team won. I don't want rub that in, but I couldn't see a clear system on the Belgium side.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Such an embarrassing performance. Worse than the WC. They were supposed to be trending up and Wilmots should've been out in 2014.

I guess the silver lining for Belgium is that failure in this tournament could get them rid of Wilmots very soon.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
good game, at times end to end which I'm not sure Italy really wanted but whenever they were caught out they either did well to recover or committed a tactical foul which might cost them down the line but the Italians I don't think really care about seeding imo

Belgium starting to remind of Serbia a little, good individual talents but I question their heart and ability to play as a unit. Doesn't help when you have 4 CBs playing on the backline as well

And here's a little dig at the MLS fanboys, the team with the MLS player starting in the lineup lost and he was partially at fault for the goal, they were so desperate to see Italy bomb this tournament :shakehead

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Can't see Belgium falling short of the QF in any case, but this group is very interesting now in that I can see almost any result coming of the remaining games.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
And just as a good ol' middle finger to the people in this thread before the match, Giaccherini is Man of the Match :laugh:

Missed the game, but 18 shots and only 2 on target for Belgium is absolutely woeful.

If what I'm hearing about Italy being tactically perfect today is correct, then I am excited for the upcoming season with Conte at the helm.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Insigne is a very good player but doesn't really fit Conte's rigid system. I presume he will use when needing a goal and switch to 4-3-3.

I'm all for coaches making personnel choices that fit their tactical ideas, but it's a mistake not to try to accommodate your clear best offensive player when the rest of the offensive players are mediocre. I would have tried him instead of Eder.

And just as a good ol' middle finger to the people in this thread before the match, Giaccherini is Man of the Match :laugh:

Should have been Bonucci :(

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Can't say enough about how well Italy played. Fantastic game and well deserved win.

but I couldn't see a clear system on the Belgium side.

That's what we've been saying for years now. Our coach is utterly clueless.

I was watching the game on BBC and they were spot on in their entire analyses, both at HT and FT. They literally said "bad coaching". It's like everybody can see the problem except for the coach.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
That's what we've been saying for years now. Our coach is utterly clueless.

I was watching the game on BBC and they were spot on in their entire analyses, both at HT and FT. They literally said "bad coaching". It's like everybody can see the problem except for the coach.

It's obvious why people see no system. There is none. If they play possession football they don't pass it around fast enough, if they counter they don't execute that at all. They were playing right into Italy's hands (even Rio ****ing Ferdinand could see it) and they were just laughing at how Wilmots couldn't figure it out.

I agree the players put in a gutless performance. But when the base itself is non-existent then what can individuals do.

Incredibly frustrating and embarrassing. I don't know what else to say. They are wasting all this talent and being stubborn.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
They just interviewed Wilmots. Said we played a good game but Italy won it thanks to their experience. Oh and he thought Fellaini was fantastic :laugh:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Courtois said they did nothing of note, didn't create enough chances and were tactically inferior

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Italy is like a wily old dog, you should never write them off completely. Meanwhile Belgium are basically an all-star team and playing like one too. To say they lack cohesion and structure is an understatement.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
not surprised at all with this result. This Belgium team has got to be the most overhyped international side of all time. Meanwhile Italy is underestimated never a clear favorite until you see them in the semi or something and you're like wtf.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'd say the result had more to do with Italy being good than Belgium being that bad. Of course Belgium could have been better, but in the second half when Italy began to sit back and Belgium were controlling the game in the final third, I feel that a weaker team would have wilted, as with how Spain broke the Czech Republic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad