GDT: Group E • May 6 • Germany 4, Finland 5 (SO)

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Systemfel, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Systemfel

Systemfel <b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>

Hotel receptionist
    Qualifying Round • Group E
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

May 6, 2011 • 16:15 CET • 10:15 AM EDT

[​IMG]
    Ondrej Nepela Arena, Bratislava, Slovakia

Germany
    Confirmed lineup.

Finland
    Confirmed lineup.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Systemfel

Systemfel <b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>

Hotel receptionist
  3. ThinMcWhistle

ThinMcWhistle Registered User

Espionage
    This will be a tough test for Finland. The Germans are a determined and tough squad that will fight hard for the victory. Still, I believe that we will come together as a team and win this one.

I predict a close one, 3-2 for Finland.

4. Mestaruus

Mestaruus Registered User

Both teams are very good defensively and Germany's goalie Endras has been the best so far in the tournament. Finland has been bad with finishing goals and Germany has finished on a good %, but i think Finland's team defense will take care of it. Finland wins on over time or shootout 1-0.

5. MMANumminen

MMANumminen Registered User

Pihlström and Komarov will switch lines and Lassila starts at goal.
    They are looking for more energy to the Kapanen line.
    Dunno if it'll change anything but we'll see...

Finland will score this time, it's going to be hard night for the Germans. Finland 5-1

6. MaNNe

MaNNe Registered User

Endras will end up being the best player in their team. Finland can't finish and will end up giving a couple of goals shorthanded to Germany 2-1 win for Germany. I'm hoping for Germany to win this so we can finally see some changes being made to the Finnish Hockey Federation or at the very least get rid of Jalonen and his ******ed playbook.

7. JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba Registered User

Go team Finland!

Germany has been on fire and this will be a close game for sure.

8. Maverick41

Maverick41 Registered User Sponsor

Finland wins 2-0. The second will be an empty net goal.

9. Dominus

Dominus Registered User

What are those changes that should be made? What's wrong with Jalonen's playbook?

I'd agree with you if Team Finland played apathetic, didn't get changes etc. but we've battled hard, created a ton of scoring chances and, with the way played, we should've won Czechs easily. What it all comes down to is that Finland can't score goals but it's not Jalonen's fault. He doesn't have elite goal scorers at his disposal. The right answer is not Teemu Pulkkinen or Mikko Lehtonen. I hope at least Pulkkinen will be part of that answer in the future but right now I don't think he would've made much of a difference.

A couple of points for the game:

1. What worries me is a lack of discipline from some of our players and that's something Jalonen has to address. We can't afford to take any more stupid penalties, and there's been plenty. We have to play hard and a bit dirty but don't overdo it.

2. 1st line has not worked so far. For us to go far in this tournament they have to get it together and concentrate on scoring goals instead of post whistle scrums. Ruutu has been a big disappointment but also Koivu to some degree. You can't blame them for the lack of effort. Their energy just needs to be focused on right things.

3. If all else fails, there's always Mikael Granlund to watch. He has impressed in every game so far. Just watch his decisions with the puck. He's the future leader of Finnish hockey and quite possibly the most talented Finnish player ever, at least hockey sense wise.

I'm confident we can win this game but it's not going to be easy, and that's actually great! I'm enjoying World champs so much more when there's not so many blowout games. My prediction 4-2 for Finland.

10. Bubba88

Bubba88 Toews = Savior

A W for Germany and they advance to the next round?

11. TheMuumio

TheMuumio Registered User

I'd say Aaltonen needs to be moved, he's too much of a puck hog. Give Lahti or someone else a chance.

12. Maverick41

I think any win would mean that Germany makes it to the quarterfinals. And even when they lose in OT the chances are pretty good. If the Czechs beat Slovakia in regulation one point would secure a spot in the quarterfinals.

13. Lapa

Lapa The Real MVP

2nd line is Komarov - Kapanen - Lahti and Lassila plays tonight.

Edit: Oh, someone said it already. Finland wins 4-2.

14. Juzmo

Juzmo Earthling

I'm guessing this will be going to overtime

...hoping Finland would get the 3 pts though.

15. Maverick41

Kreutzer will be scratched. Kink plays instead.

16. Raimo Sillanpää

Raimo Sillanpää Registered User

Lassila was poor against Latvia, I reckon Germany will score from his rebounds better than Latvia did and hence expect Germany to win this one.

Jalonen was a great coach in SM-Liiga but as the national team coach he has imho been sub-par. All he's achieved was the bronze at Vancouver and there we had 3 big games and won only one of them (Czechs, lost to Sweden and demolished by the US).

17. MaNNe

MaNNe Registered User

Well first of all Pulkkinen should've been in the team instead of Pyörälä... Joensuu should be played instead of Pyörälä. I'm not saying Pulkkinen would've at this day and age solved any of our scoring problems, but add him to the blueline of 2nd or first powerplay and i'm sure it would help. My main problem with Jalonen is however how he decides to play one line and never changes it. We all knew 2nd line propably wouldn't work. Why on earth would you play Pihlström in 2nd line at this kind of competiton? Sure he scored 30 goals in FEL, but we all know he can't even score on 50% of his breakaways. He should've been on the 4th line to begin with where he actually fits and brings energy. First line isn't working either and Jalonen does nothing to change it. First powerplay unit isn't working and Lepistö & Salmela still play there.

Also you can't say that we "should've" won Czechs hockey is about who scores more goals, not who creates more chances. When we can't "Finnish" our chances we can't win. And you can't argue with Jalonens poor poor results in wc 09,10 prolly this year aswell. And before you say we won a bronze in Vancouver we sucked against Sweden and were even more horrible against USA. Czech game was really bad aswell and we only got bailed out by amazing play from Kiprusoff. In this tourney that can't happen either cause we have sub-par goaltending to our standards.

18. Brun0

Brun0 Registered User

Nice both Leino and Filppula might be comming if they are out. Rinne too? Lets hope for the best.

19. mattihp

mattihp Registered User

Out of those three I only see a need for Rinne.
    Filppula is good, but we have his kind (speed, hard work, passing, no finish) only a couple of steps behind and it would take time before he settles in.

Leino's style would just slow Finland down and emphasize on the weaknesses. Too much dipsy-doodleing and not enough driving to the net.

Finland takes this 2-1.

Aaltonen scores and is surprised himself after his usual routine of deking and skating through the entire opposing team.

Koivu adds the second one, on the PP.

Gogulla gets a late goal for Germany.

20. Temego

Temego Registered User

What has Leino done to you? You seem to be mocking him every time his name is mentioned.

If Leino and Flip are coming, Kapanen and Pyörälä should be dropped from the team.

Tuomo Ruutu Mikko Koivu Valtteri Filppula
    Janne Lahti Mikael Granlund Ville Leino
    Janne Pesonen Jarkko Immonen Juhamatti Aaltonen
    Antti Pihlström Petteri Nokelainen Leo Komarov

4 Competitive lines. Yes, there's no actual goal scoring machines in the first line (all three are capable of scoring tho), but that's how Jalonen rolls; doesnt really focus on players who can actually put the puck in the net.

Pesonen could also be replaced with Joensuu.

21. Fallenity

Fallenity Registered User

I don't think Rinne would come (and I hope Nashville doesn't drop), since be must be exhausted from holding the team on his shoulders for the past 2 months. Plus Vehanen hasn't done a single mistake yet, all the goals that got put past him were the D's fault.

Timonen on the other hand, now that's someone I'd like to get to the blueline. But on the other hand, he might take some time to get settled in (as with Lepistö and Salmela, despite what they say, the different kind of arena clearly influenced their game during the first games. Timonen is better then them, but taking him for example straight into the Russia game would be a risk.)

All in all, I think Finland win this one easily. Usually teams have the problem of getting scoring chances, which is much harder to fix then the problem of not scoring when getting a good chance. Plus the penalties should go away when Finland doesn't have to play as physically against Germany as Czech, since physicality has always been the way beat Czech's skill players, while Germany we can beat with our own skill. We'll probably see Germany be more physical then Finland, which if the reffing line continues the same way, will lead to PP's for us.

There's only two things I'm worried about. One is Lassila. He seemed to be very jitterish and uncertain in the first game. If it would have been against anyone tougher, I'm pretty sure he'd have vaccumed some goals. But then again, that could be due to him playing his first real WC game, so hopefully he's better this time. Plus there's no other choice, since Vehanen has to be rested for the Slovakia and Russia games.

Secondly, we will be facing a hot goalie tonight. Germany's goalie has been on fire already during this tournament and opponent goalies always perform well against Finnish low-grade shots. It helps them get easily into the game. Finland will put a couple of goals past him and if Lassila stays strong, we'll win 2-0 or 3-1. But if the German goalie is hot and Lassila is not, this could turn into a very tough game since Finnish D is not that reliable to make up for a bad goalie. If this happens, this could very well go into OT or even a German victory during regular play.

So yeah, a lot riding on Lassila today. Finland can't score enough goals nor defend enough to make up for a bad goalie game. But I'm hopeful and see a lot of good things in Finland's previous games, so I'm gonna say

Finland wins 3-1

22. Tissotti

Tissotti Registered User

Endras will be the best player from Germany.
    We need to get out of the penalty box. I mean that was the theme already against Czech but some still kept taking those stupid ass penalties.
    Score and stay of out penalty box. It's not rocket science. ;)

23. QnebO

QnebO Wheel, snipe, celly

We really could use Rinne in this tournament (who wouldn't). I feel kind of bad hoping that he is becoming available, as hes a great tender and i would hope a cup for him in the other hand. But its fair, if he drops out then he could play in Bratislava!

What comes to NHL forwards, i see these players could give room to them:
    Pyörälä and Pesonen

Is there a change for Kimmo Timonen? I think no one would dis agree taking him..

24. Bubba88

Bubba88 Toews = Savior

I see Endras as #1 star of the game - no matter who wins

25. BusQuets

BusQuets Registered User

Finland already have 8 defenceman cant they take more?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.