GDT: Group E • May 6 • Czech Republic 3, Slovakia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
What have Klepiš said??? Tell me more, please, I have missed this.

He said that back in Washington already during the first practice Hanlon yelled at him for passing instead of shooting and told him that in the NHL such play can´t fall into consideration. He says that since that moment he doesn´t have good memories of Hanlon and neither do other young Czech players. Hesays that hanlon didn´t talk to him in the locker room and that he barely greeted him. Now after years when they met Hanlon wanted to talk to him about how things were with him and his family etc. (he even goes as far as saying that it was a typical masquerade by Hanlon) and he has heard from other players who have played in the NT under Hanlon that there are problems with communication. However he also won´t dare to judge whether Hanlon´s agood coach or not.

Original link in Slovak here.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Deserved win. Czech team was better today, dominant at times. But they just couldn't transform it to some kind of safe lead. Let's hope this will get better in more important games like QF.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Yeah, it often seems that some of the players rather go and listen to Hossa Snr than Hanlon.....or don´t listen at all....

I was going to say...I have been disappointed by how Hanlon appears to have handled the position. Slovak players are generally known for skill and this team does have a lot of it but they are underperforming. I think a big reason is Hanlon has them playing dump and chase style hockey on the international rink.

The Czechs did a lot of carrying the puck into the zone in the game today, and they had more possession. The only time they dumped was when they were badly outnumbered or making a line change. However I cannot figure out why Hanlon has the Slovak puck carriers getting hear the blue line and the offense all spread out with no puck support, then the player dumps the puck in and all 3 forwards (who are now 15 feet further away from the puck than the defensemen) go to chase it. Makes it really hard to score if the defensemen do not make turnovers.

The one time in the tournament I've seen Slovakia get away from this awful strategy is during the great 3rd period against the Germans where they almost came back.

However Hanlon has a lot of good players playing like 4th line grinders on NHL rosters and that is not smart coaching.

I also did not like what he did in the German and Russian games of leaving the top players out on the ice for the last almost 2 minutes trying to get the comeback. No matter how good a player is they are not going to stay effective when given a shift that is that long. Slovakia has enough depth to be at least able to make ONE line change in that situation...

As to your comments above that Hanlon has lost some of the players, there is some truth to that. That is exactly why he was fired from his last NHL coaching job (Washington Capitals).

TexasTriumph

Apr 30, 2011
Great, now we can lose against Russia and Germany :laugh:

Hehe. We wont even dare lose to Russia. Czechs will go harder in that game than any game yet! That game will be very fun to watch. As Czech vs Russia is always hardcore and fun;). Doesn't matter what situation or players... Time to CLASH!!! :handclap: Except Czechs are the TITANS ;)

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Jagr in interview after match ...

"We were playing like FC Barcelona, we were just missing Messi in first 2 periods ... "

rofl he's awesome :handclap:

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
A couple of years back, he was the head coach for Jokerit and he got fired. The fans even made somekind of list where they demanded to fire Hanlon and they even left some games (almost never happens). He had such a defensive system which killed the whole team put the team into huge scoring trouble and it wasnt entertaining at all.

Wasnt he fired from dynamo minsk and belarus too?

Slovakian managment has only them self to blaime for giving him a 4 year deal. Don't they do any scouting?

I dont think Hanlon will be incharge tommorow. There is still a slim chance, they must win Finland in regulation and then Denmark.

Last edited:

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
The Slovak team is very old, but there are simply no players to replace those veterans. The problems i see with slovak team:

1. Hanlon, since he joined the team, he hasnt done a single positive thing.

2. Key players underperforming (Hossa, Gaborik, Demitra). Just compare their pressence to Jagr's. They are "stars" of NHL, they are expected to do better than what they show today.

3. Pressure. You guys cant see this, but the media and everyone putting a huge pressure on the team. They apparently expected them to make it to the finals or something.

And as i mentoined, the overall age factor. It was still fun match to watch.

Czech team played better overall, the victory is well deserved.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Hanlon is the main problem with the Slovak team. He knows how to stifle any creativity a team has and it just ends up being boring and ineffective hockey. The Slovak team has talent and it should be harnessed. How in the world did the team think Hanlon would be a good fit for this team. He is awful and it's a miracle the guy still gets hired after the mess he has left his teams in.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
i think the Czech Rep, Germany and Russia are qualified for the QF, if Slovakia doesn't beat Finland in regulation in there next game they're out

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
But Hanlon or not there is a struckture problem in slovak hockey, they need young players real bad right now.

And about star players you could see how tired they were. They were overplayed in the end vs germany, maybe still jetlagged and a long season.

Last edited:

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
On the other hand, I recall Jágr saying kind words about Hanlon when they met in Washington. He even said that with Hanlon as his coach, he didn't want to leave Washington for the Rangers any more.

crabcz

Sep 17, 2007
Prague
But Hanlon or not there is a struckture problem in slovak hockey, they need yuong players real bad right now.

It's actually pretty amazing what players they have and how well they play considering that they have like 5000 registered players.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It's actually pretty amazing what players they have and how well they play considering that they have like 5000 registered players.

It´s more like 8-9 thousands. 1000 senior hockey players, btu for example even Russia has only 2000 senior players acc. to IIHF numbers.....

Erathian

May 18, 2010
Czech republic
I would like to see Slovaks in QF, but I also like Finland. Well, it is good that they will face each other in direct fight for QF. Visnovsky is great, Hossa isn't playing bad. Gaborik disappointed me, but it just reflects his season in the NHL. With this squad, Slovaks should play very offensive hockey. They have so much skilled forwards. You just can't force players like Gaborik, Hossa, Demitra, Satan to play defensive hockey. BTW, I really like Nagy, he played very well.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I would like to see Slovaks in QF, but I also like Finland. Well, it is good that they will face each other in direct fight for QF. Visnovsky is great, Hossa isn't playing bad. Gaborik disappointed me, but it just reflects his season in the NHL. With this squad, Slovaks should play very offensive hockey. They have so much skilled forwards. You just can't force players like Gaborik, Hossa, Demitra, Satan to play defensive hockey. BTW, I really like Nagy, he played very well.

Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't notice Hossa is playing today if I didn't know it, the same about Demitra.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

I still think Gaborik has been playing hurt most of the year. He hasn't had the explosive first step and the top speed he usually does. So much of his game relies on that. I don't think you lose that explosive step overnight without an injury of some kind.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Hossa´s been pretty bad period in all three games, especially his ability to play a two way game seems to have absolutely disappeared.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad