Euro: Group D: Spain vs. Turkey, 6/17/2016

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Live in the Now, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    [​IMG]

2. TheLeastOfTheBunch

TheLeastOfTheBunch Franchise Centre

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Offside?

Iniesta's putting on a show, like usual.

3. Ace Rothstein

Ace Rothstein Aces High

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This is a good old fashioned beatdown.

4. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Jordi Alba was offside

5. Bakayoko Ono

Bakayoko Ono Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Don't know about that...

6. Nalens Oga

Nalens Oga Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Whose idea was it to make the Turkish away kit white with black shorts and red socks lol

7. bluesfan94

bluesfan94 #PetroforNorris

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Flares and fireworks in the stands after the game. I'm not too upset about this though. It's the post game, they're keeping them in the stands, doesn't seem to be hools

8. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Awards:
    For my money, after these two games I think Spain are the clear favorites and should win this tournament. Great team selection today and great tactics. Morata gives defenders a striker they have to worry about and in combination with their other attacking players makes them extremely difficult to contain for 90 minutes. It appears he's the best man for the job up top and that the other attackers like Nolito, Iniesta, and Silva fit perfectly with him. This isn't the best team they've ever had but there's a cohesiveness that their Euro 2012 team lacked at times. Some people could see the wheels starting to come off leading into the 2014 WC but that feeling is gone now with the addition of some of these players to their setup and subtraction of others.

With Italy they're the only teams to win both opening games and maintain a clean sheet in them. Of course they only beat the Czechs and Turks, but those games went without de Gea being tested much/yet so it isn't like he's had to pull anything out of a hat as he's capable of doing. They're likely to play Poland or Switzerland in the QF as well, so it's not a difficult road to the SF.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  9. Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I basically agree. This was by far the best offensive performance of any team in the tournament to me in terms of how Spain went about unlocking Turkey, and the defense looks very stable. France has far bigger problems. Germany's problems look soluble - and they did face a far tougher opponent yesterday - but the roster has a ton of question marks and Müller needs to start playing better.

Croatia also moved up my personal rankings of favorites after yesterday. Arguably top 5 with England/Italy. I'm really looking forward to that final match with Modric and Iniesta in peak form.

10. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Despite the opponent and despite the third goal being offside, a very good performance from Spain here. Perhaps incredibly to some degree I still think they could be even better than this though. People are focusing on Spain's offensive display and the output of three goals, which were somewhat fortuitous as regards the second two goals, but where they were equally impressive was in their defensive performance. Some excellent displays from the likes of Pique and Busquets, easily join Men of the Match for me, coupled with a work rate across the board and in all areas of the pitch. What's also in evidence simply by watching the players after the match is that there's a real unity across the team as well. Club rivalries, which are very real and have affected players' relationships in the past, have again been put aside.

As I said, despite the opponent, this was an impressive performance. There was this great moment in the third minute or so where Turkey were pressing like mad in Spain's half and in a very contained area, yet the Spanish players played out of it with ease. And we're not just talking midfield players here either. What was also noteworthy was that they scored from a header off a cross along with a prototypical "Spanish goal" which had a number of touches from everyone but Pique and de Gea. And they have a ton of creativity out there as well.

I'm still amazed at the praise del Bosque gets though. He should get some to be sure, but listening to ESPN's commentary to an extent you'd think that it's all as a result of him. Bar players' fitness, I thought his substitutions were quite poor. First he takes off Silva and replaces him with Bruno when he's got Pedro on the bench. Taking Silva off isn't the issue as he was somwhat poor, but you don't replace him with Bruno. Then he replaces Cesc with Koke, which is fine apart from you still don't have anyone on the right flank. In fact there was a shot during the match where there was a huge void on that side. So instead of taking the opportunity to play Pedro again on the right and seeing how he performs in contrast to Silva, who has been quite average thus far, you just keep the flank open. On top of that Pedro gives you a different look as he'll provide more width and is a better option at getting behind packed defenses which Spain will largely still see going forward. That's not to mention the work rate he'll provide pressing that late in the match. And note that after that second substitution Turkey started to play in Spain's half more.

Anyway, very pleased with the Barça players' performances. Like I said, Pique and Busquets were Spain's best players. There was this great play from Busquets where one Turkish player is literally trying to pull him back by his arm while another comes in and they still can't get the ball. Iniesta and Alba were both good as well. Overall very solid performances from the team. Silva the worst for me. Cesc was better this match, but I can still see Koke getting the nod over him.

IMO Spain had to be a favorite going in. There's just too much talent, too much experience and too many proven winners in that team. And we're talking proven winners not only at both club and international level, but proven winners together. What's great for them too is that they all fit rather seamlessly together but that they also have different weapons at del Bosque's disposal. That said they've definitely not been tested much at all. I wouldn't worry much about that as the play is still obviously there, but the right team might give them problems defensively.

Much better from Morata this match, but still room for improvement there. He's got good movement off the ball which is key, but he also holds up the ball well. He puts in the work on the defensive end as well. Still his first match wasn't great and I'm curious what Aduriz would have done with Morata's minutes. Still if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Silva's a tough one. Not a good match here. I wouldn't call him bad, but he was clearly their worst player. He's a real creative presence out there and another dribbling option which against a packed defense can help create space and draw other players, but he's simply not effective. Can't say I'd drop him overall, but I'd like to see Pedro in that spot. I think they can afford to lose that extra creativity considering how much they already have out there for some width and a player who can make runs behind the defense. The majority of Spain's play has come from the left this tournament thus far as well and even in this match Silva, who has the freedom to roam, popped up out there which really isn't necessary. The catch is that I'm expecting del Bosque to ring some changes against Croatia and so you don't get Pedro alongside that first XI to see how it works.

11. Savi

Savi Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Looks like Modrić will be out for that one

12. Panteras

Panteras perennial loser

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000