World Cup: Group D: Nigeria vs. Iceland, 6/22/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Golovin Fernandes Musa great tournament for CSKA Moscow players. I hope Nigeria goes through now.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So it doesn't matter given the game score, but stoppage time was a complete joke there.

Should have been at least 2-3 more minutes added in the first place and then the stoppage time injury took just under a minute and a half but the ref only played for 30 seconds extra.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Iceland are a bit like Burnley really. In both cases, they have a gameplan and mentality that can lead them to achieve surprising results surprisingly frequently, but on occasions where that gameplan just doesn't work out they make people wonder 'how on earth did they get here' because the individual quality just isn't there.

Reactions: cgf

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
They beat them in qualifications with mostly first teamers on the pitch.

One of the most boring games you'll see, Iceland basically scored on their only shot from a corner where the goalkeeper stayed on his line. Of course Iceland can still win but in the four recent matches against them you can count on one hand how many shots they had :D

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
A missed penalty is almost always on the nerves of the striker. Even at school level play there is pressure.

Gyan in 2010 broke my heart. They had the win. Frankly in a situation like that one - where a goal (beyond a shadow of doubt) would have been scored without the hand - I think the goal should be allowed and no PK. The chances aren't as high as people tend to think when it comes to scoring them.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Gyan in 2010 broke my heart. They had the win. Frankly in a situation like that one - where a goal (beyond a shadow of doubt) would have been scored without the hand - I think the goal should be allowed and no PK. The chances aren't as high as people tend to think when it comes to scoring them.
There are situations were this could be a solution. In any case, I want the player using the hand to stop a goal to be punished a lot more harshly.

Reactions: cgf and Amerika

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
With Nigeria win this mother ****er better start for next game: Armani, Mercado, Otamendi, Fazio, Tagli, Mascherano, Lo Celso, Messi, Dybala, Di Maria/Pavon, Aguero.

While this is probably the ideal line-up because they need to win, but the midfield is still a huge problem, there just isn't enough speed any more with Mascherano to cover for counter attacks. He was great in 2014 against those with some crucial tackles. This is something I just don't understand regarding players selected for the squad. Nigerians running against those CB's could get ugly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
While this is probably the ideal line-up because they need to win, but the midfield is still a huge problem, there just isn't enough speed any more with Mascherano to cover for counter attacks. He was great in 2014 against those with some crucial tackles. This is something I just don't understand regarding players selected for the squad. Nigerians running against those CB's could get ugly.

That depends on how they played though. If AdM played that pseudo-8 role he used to play before Real gave up all pretenses of CR7 being a winger anymore, alongside Lo Celso in front of Mascherano, they'd have the legs...especially if Dybala & Aguero could assert themselves up front when Messi dropped deep to assist the midfield, so that him doing so didn't neuter them completely in the final third.

But that would mean the attackers being willing to create something themselves & no longer just looking to Leo to save them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They won't change anything except putting Armani, Pavon, and Dybala in. Tactics will be the same. Leo will have to get the ball from the CB's and carry it the whole way up the pitch. Is it possible for them to win a game doing that? Maybe.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That would be hilarious. :laugh:

For that to happen, though, Iran needs to actually score a goal all by themselves, something they've yet to do in Russia.

Ideally, if Iran was to pull it off, the goal would come via Pepe going full an hero...like Bouhaddouz did in their opener :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Pepper

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They won't change anything except putting Armani, Pavon, and Dybala in. Tactics will be the same. Leo will have to get the ball from the CB's and carry it the whole way up the pitch. Is it possible for them to win a game doing that? Maybe.

Even if the tactics didn't change, bringing on Lo Celso, Aguero, Dybala & Pavon could make them tricksy...as long as those attackers were willing to take some responsibility when Messi dropped into the midfield to help them build. Basically turning Messi into an 8 for the day...if the front three was willing to do more than just wait for Leo to decide things in the final third...

Cause that mentality is what needs to change way more than any specific tactical or personnel shifts; given the squad that they picked.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Even if the tactics didn't change, bringing on Lo Celso, Aguero, Dybala & Pavon could make them tricksy...as long as those attackers were willing to take some responsibility when Messi dropped into the midfield to help them build. Basically turning Messi into an 8 for the day...if the front three was willing to do more than just wait for Leo to decide things in the final third...

Cause that mentality is what needs to change way more than any specific tactical or personnel shifts; given the squad that they picked.

4-2-3-1 with:

Aguero
Pavon Dybala Messi
Mascherano Lo Celso

makes the most sense to me if you're in a must win situation, but what do I know?...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
4-2-3-1 with:

Aguero
Pavon Dybala Messi
Mascherano Lo Celso

makes the most sense to me if you're in a must win situation, but what do I know?...

If that was Icardi in Aguero's spot, and if that was their lineup in every game, they could have 6 points already. Too bad it doesn't work like that.

But yes, that's their best lineup. I still expect Meza to be in there somehow lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
4-2-3-1 with:

Aguero
Pavon Dybala Messi
Mascherano Lo Celso

For that to really work, in possession they would need to shift into something that (on average) looked more along the lines of:

temp.png

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Click to edit might not make bloopers, so he's a good new name.

Do they have someone better than Otamendi on the bench?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Otamendi hasn't been as good for them as he was for Pep this year, but he would still worry me less than Rojo if I was an Argentinian fan. He's the one I'd bring Fazio on for if I was to make a change :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad