World Cup: Group D: Nigeria vs. Iceland, 6/22/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Iceland are the story of the tournament so far. Hope they continue to show the world that a nation with a fraction of the population of most cities can still compete with legends like Messi and global powerhouses on the world's biggest stage.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, tiny Iceland against not only millions of Nigerians hoping for them to lose, but against Argentinians as well. Such a small number of people can break so many hearts in this game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Iceland are the story of the tournament so far. Hope they continue to show the world that a nation with a fraction of the population of most cities can still compete with legends like Messi and global powerhouses on the world's biggest stage.

I’ve been saying that people are sleeping on Iceland. They’re one of the 2/3 best coached teams in the world, and while they don’t have the star power; and elite talent of the big teams, they play as a team and understand the system they’re playing better than almost every team in this WC. They won’t play pretty but they will play effective.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would love to see Nigeria progress so I could keep watching Iwobi. That being said I think Iceland is well run and are far more organized than Nigeria at the best of times.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would love to see Nigeria progress so I could keep watching Iwobi. That being said I think Iceland is well run and are far more organized than Nigeria at the best of times.

I think the problem now is that Iceland also has to win, which will lead to them making mistakes. A draw in the other game would have been better for them as it would have caused Croatia to play football that is better suited to them.

The way Nigeria lost also was in a way that necessitated they make changes and frankly some of the players they had on the bench are better than the starters.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I’m not even sure that Iceland are a story anymore.

They have been doing this since Euro ‘16 qualifiers.

I’m starting to just expect it from them.

Reactions: Elliman

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I expect Nigeria to win if they show up instead of sleep-walking like they did against Croatia. Which is easily said than done.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

That’s what I’ve been trying to say. They’re actually a decent team.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

You could even argue they were doing it in the Brazil 2014 qualifying cycle . Narrowly missing out on that tournament.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You could even argue they were doing it in the Brazil 2014 qualifying cycle . Narrowly missing out on that tournament.
They completely overhauled their coaching department at all levels around then. And ever since then they’ve been a good side.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

I agree. Winning the qualifying group for this tournament, when their opponents were definitely not underestimating them anymore shouldve been the last time anyone doubted their effectiveness.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
In theory, I should cheer for a draw so Croatia is secured the #1 seed.

But in practice, game will start and there's no way I'll be able to NOT cheer for Iceland. I love their country, I love their team, I love the whole Scandinavian viking thing, and I'll just end up rooting for them.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In theory, I should cheer for a draw so Croatia is secured the #1 seed.

But in practice, game will start and there's no way I'll be able to NOT cheer for Iceland. I love their country, I love their team, I love the whole Scandinavian viking thing, and I'll just end up rooting for them.

They’re so hard not to root for.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
This is a candidate for first 0:0 draw I think, though as I think about it more Iceland are usually pretty clinical and Nigeria looked shaky defending set pieces

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Iceland need the three points here if they want out of this group.
Avoiding defeat makes Iceland favourites to qualify from the group.

Win and a draw suits both them and Croatia in the final game.

Draw and it confirms Croatia as group winners. That will likely mean significant team changes for the Croatians going into the final game, and Iceland already proved capable of beating a full strength Croatian side in qualifying. Plus, if I'm a Croatian player then I want to see Argentina getting eliminated.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Let's go Nigeria

I want all bus parking teams to be eliminated. I don't care how nice your country and your people are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad