Euro: Group D: Czech Republic vs. Croatia, 6/17/2016

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What I'm guessing in my part is that *probably* UEFA didn't accept to sell tickets to people who were blacklisted.
I know that's a long shot.

It's so much more obvious to think like Ivan. Blacklisted fans were in the stadiums, and there were no pat downs.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Shhhh. Stop.

EDIT : Which game did you see BTW? Did you enjoy it/them?

Ireland - Sweden.

The match was awful and the Stade de France has the worst toilets I've ever seen in my life, but safety was never a concern at the stadium or anywhere else in Paris.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Almost every major english newspaper had their front page blaming "russian thugs".

So now russians were dangerous, english weren't... :shakehead

Your point is what exactly?
That you have the ID of every fan in the stadium? :laugh:
You have no idea who was/wasn't in the stadium. Stop pretending like you have. You're just guessing.
You're using your guesses as facts.

Yes you ID every fan, yes you implement the facial recognition software, in case you know someone bought a ticket for a person on the terrorist watch. The guys who made this happen are well known. But I guess it's easier it bury your head in the sand.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Almost every major english newspaper had their front page blaming "russian thugs".

So now russians were dangerous, english weren't... :shakehead

Your point is what exactly?
That you have the ID of every fan in the stadium? :laugh:
You have no idea who was/wasn't in the stadium. Stop pretending like you have. You're just guessing.
You're using your guesses as facts.

No they didn't. They did after the stadium charge but they also had headlines blaming the England fans.

I think I would know seeing as I read it every day and live there.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It seems to me that the difference between English hooligans and Russian (perhaps Eastern European?) hooligans is that English hooligans get way too drunk cause a nuisance of themselves by throwing stuff and being loud and raucous and occasionally that leads to drunk fights. Meanwhile the Russian hooligans seem to train for this stuff and come prepared with tactics, weapons, and will fight anyone. That doesn't seem to be the same in terms of level of danger, nuisance or whatever else.

Nah, it's not just Russian hooligans who train combat sports and are very organized. These things are common all over Europe. The MMA scene in Europe is heavily laced with hooligan elements and many hooligans work as doormen (often with tie-ins to the organized drug trade). The Russians are stylized into uber-thugs by a media that knows very little about the subject.

The main difference is that in most countries the police has a good idea of who these guys are and what they're up to, they also tend to have a way of preventing them from traveling to a major tournament like a Euro (in Germany they need to check in with their local police precinct every day during a tournament).

It's become pretty obvous to me that the Russian authorities made zero effort to stop them from attending the Euro and some evidence that some elements in the Russian FA in fact encouraged them to do so.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No they didn't. They did after the stadium charge but they also had headlines blaming the England fans.

This point is ironic given that Evilo claims that there's no way anyone can know anything about this tournament/France without being there.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nah, it's not just Russian hooligans who train combat sports and are very organized. These things are common all over Europe. The MMA scene in Europe is heavily laced with hooligan elements and many hooligans work as doormen (often with tie-ins to the organized drug trade). The Russians are stylized into uber-thugs by a media that knows very little about the subject.

The main difference is that in most countries the police has a good idea of who these guys are and what they're up to, they also tend to have a way of preventing them from traveling to a major tournament like a Euro (in Germany they need to check in with their local police precinct every day during a tournament).

It's become pretty obvous to me that the Russian authorities made zero effort to stop them from attending the Euro and some evidence that some elements in the Russian FA in fact encouraged them to do so.

Right on. Obviously I'm not involved in hooligan culture and it's hard to get a good read on it from overseas. It did seem to me though that the Russian hools broke the unwritten code by going after English in general and not just the English hools.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hooligan culture is ripe in Europe, I know because some of my ex-mates went off the deep end a while ago and my fiances cousins is one of the main guys with the BBB, which are Dinamo Zagreb's fans. I'm not talking out of my ass and I know what's going on on the Ultras scene in Europe, it's a deeply connected network of well orginized people, if you want to call this scum people.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...nglaise-indulgente-avec-ses-supporters/693761

This point is ironic given that Evilo claims that there's no way anyone can know anything about this tournament/France without being there.

No, I said, making internet guess is for stupid people.
We've been treated to :
- blacklisted fans were in the stadiums even though they have tickets ID
- no ticket ID
- no pat downs in French stadiums
- no checking at the borders

We know that 2, 3 and 4 are false, even from fans who were there (Franck) and who are unbiased.
Why would I believe 1 is true? Because Ivan said so?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Right on. Obviously I'm not involved in hooligan culture and it's hard to get a good read on it from overseas. It did seem to me though that the Russian hools broke the unwritten code by going after English in general and not just the English hools.

Eastern European hooligans have always had a much wider definition of what is "fair game" than their western counterparts.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...nglaise-indulgente-avec-ses-supporters/693761

No, I said, making internet guess is for stupid people.
We've been treated to :
- blacklisted fans were in the stadiums even though they have tickets ID
- no ticket ID
- no pat downs in French stadiums
- no checking at the borders

We know that 2, 3 and 4 are false, even from fans who were there (Franck) and who are unbiased.
Why would I believe 1 is true? Because Ivan said so?

Your link has one tweet from someone. Is that the best you could do?

There is no proof of what you're saying there. I click on the links to the websites and it goes to those websites, not an article.

The Guardian article also criticised both fans.

None of this backs you up.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I think they generally viewed all English as fair game because their view of English fans is essentially a fantasy. England to them is the Mt. Everest of football violence and basically any English scalp is something they can brag with.

They're not the only ones, I am friends with Russians who were congratulated by people of other nationalities for giving the English what they supposedly deserve. To some extent regular English fans are paying the price for the transgressions of their parents' generation.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Your link has one tweet from someone. Is that the best you could do?

There is no proof of what you're saying there. I click on the links to the websites and it goes to those websites, not an article.

The Guardian article also criticised both fans.

None of this backs you up.

Read the article.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
But then wouldn't the name of the St. Etienne fan be on the ticket?

Even personalised tickets have to be checked against an ID in every single case. And I am not sure that is done properly (not just here but anywhere when personalised tickets are used).

I'm afraid that we would have to go all 1984 to really get rid of the problem. So after this tournament there will be another freedom vs. security debate with regards to football in Europe.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Lost in all this is another "brilliant" piece of coaching by Cacic, midfield overrun in the last twenty minutes once Modric went and late substitutions again and he didn't do anything to fix it. The players will have a natural excuse now with the hooligans but once again a ex-YU team decides to play handball in the box in crunch time (Tomas vs. Australia, Vidic vs. Ghana etc..)

Croatia will probably finish third now, Czechs should beat Turkey, who look shot and another disappointing tournament only saved by the fact 16 teams progress. From what I read, Croatia won't be kicked out of Euro, they will be given a Russia type warning but I assume the punishment will come down the line, probably a points deduction from the start of qualification

Though this was very much pre-planned too, apparently its been known for days something was "cooking" and they even knew at what minute this was going to happen, which is why the riot police started to appear. The one thing which shocks me is apparently the flares were in the stadium before the match even started under the seats :shakehead But these are all rumors for now

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Seems Frank covered a lot.

But as someone currently in France, they are doing full pat downs everywhere involved with the games. Twice on the way into Paris fan zone with once by an actual police officer.

That's said I was at Italy v Belguim and we were not patted down, but part of that was prior to the game was an absolute down pour and people were running all over the place.

Also, while there are names on tickets, they are not checked. Also, would be somewhat useless as only the purchaser of the tickets names is on the ticket. So my ticket has my friends name on them.

Finally, I had been in Lille the past few days (was at Russia/Slovakia where there was a flare in the stands despite a pat down ) and my got the English were all over singing.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I stopped watching in the 55th minute to take a nap. Why was Modric taken out? He was playing lights out.

Injury and he will miss next match

Also another thing, have no idea why Mamic and Vrbanovic are in the VIP lounge, just more provocation, and two guys currently being charged for tax evasion yet they are allowed to leave the country. This doesn't look good on UEFA either, who have a member of their executive committee who paid the bail for Mamic

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->