Euro: Group D: CZE vs. TUR & ESP vs. CRO, 6/21/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Why are people saying the format sucks? The only reason these teams are going to be matched together is that nobody showed up to play in every game so far. There's not a single team sitting on 9 points yet.

Spain didn't show up today, Belgium didn't show up, England didn't show up. Italy has showed up but I don't see them as being a particularly strong team. At this point all but the third place teams and the Group F teams could win this IMO.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Why are people saying the format sucks? The only reason these teams are going to be matched together is that nobody showed up to play in every game so far. There's not a single team sitting on 9 points yet.

Spain didn't show up today, Belgium didn't show up, England didn't show up. Italy has showed up but I don't see them as being a particularly strong team. At this point all but the third place teams and the Group F teams could win this IMO.

I think those complaining are doing so because they now see all the major teams are in 1 bracket, a "bracket of death" if you will. But indeed, it's just a product of how things have played out not about the format.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Yeah, I'm not convinced by a single team so far this tournament. Germany is the closest but they have no number 9. The player they need is unfortunately Poland's number 9. That would be quite a team.

If it weren't for their own fans, Croatia could've gotten 9 points and seem to be one of the contenders just with the draw at this point.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I am somewhat convinced by Poland. Given up no goals while having some good attackers, one of whom is world class and hasn't really had a stormer yet. Should have beaten Germany too.

Not a whole lot of quality in this tournament though which throws the winner entirely up in the air. Even though Spain wound up winning in 2010 I had similar feelings about that tournament.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Weird game.
Felt we played good enough to win but... in the end didn't score on our chances and they did.

I rather not speak about Sergio Ramos.

It's going to be tough to advance now against the "best" teams

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto

This is why.The left bracket will be interesting to see who emerges though. The right side of the bracket well...every matchup could be a final in it's own right. Whoever passes through will basically have played 3 finals.

g26oezv.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, that's not the format's fault. That's teams like England and Spain playing like ****.

There's only two good teams on the right hand side of that bracket anyway and two on the left side.

Hint: they all played today.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'll have to watch the match later, but looking at the scoreline and such there seems to be a narrative about the Spain match.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
This is why.The left bracket will be interesting to see who emerges though. The right side of the bracket well...every matchup could be a final in it's own right. Whoever passes through will basically have played 3 finals.

g26oezv.jpg

if Sweden beats Belgium, Italy doesn't lose to Ireland, Portugal beats Hungary and Iceland beats Austria, this could be the bracket:

xsEqVLL.jpg

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Well yeah, that part sucks. But the way teams are slotted once they advance is no problem at all.

Your point about allocations to the brackets is valid, there is hardly anything that could or even should be done about it.

But the fact that 16 teams from 6 groups advance to the knockout stage does affect the format: some group winners (e.g. Italy) have to play teams who finished 2nd (e.g. Spain) while other group winners (e.g. Germany) get to play against 3rd place teams (e.g. Slovakia). The whole set-up is unbalanced by default.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
If that picture surfacing on the CRO sites is real, what the hell is Mamic and Suker doing celebrating with a Hajduk scarf, more provocations and more attention to themselves after a historic win :shakehead

Btw, Subasic, Perisic, Kalinic, all Hajduk guys ;)

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Not necessarily, I forgot about goal difference. Portugal winning 2-0 and Iceland 1-0 would mean Portugal win the group right? I can't remember the tie breaker.

yes Portugal would need a higher win than Iceland to win the group. iceland and portugal have the same goal difference, but Iceland scored more goals till now.(the next tie breaker after goal difference)

I changed my 'would be the bracket' to 'could be the bracket'.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'll have to watch the match later, but looking at the scoreline and such there seems to be a narrative about the Spain match.

Barca players don't play well in white jerseys? ;)

My narrative from Spain's point of view:

Busquets too deep in buildup. Spain's first goal and some of their best passages of play vs. Turkey came when he popped up further up the field to make combinations. Tonight he was basically parked between Pique and Ramos the whole time.

Pique wasn't involved enough. Spain relied more heavily on the left side than in their past matches. When Pique got the ball with space in front of him to dribble there was no real way for him to take advantage of his passing ability to advance buildup. Pique-Silva combination wasn't nearly as strong as it was in the previous two matches. Spain were too heavily weighted to the left side, which made their attack more predictable. They still had good passages of play in buildup, but not as frequently.

Bad and individualistic pressing on the wings.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
if Sweden beats Belgium, Italy doesn't lose to Ireland, Portugal beats Hungary and Iceland beats Austria, this could be the bracket:

xsEqVLL.jpg

Reminiscent of Euro 2004 matchups of Greece vs. Portugal both in the group stages and the final, it'll be Iceland vs. Portugal twice this time around :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad