World Cup: Group D: Argentina vs. Croatia, 6/21/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There was instances of at least two red cards that I counted. The foot-stamping was atrocious and some of you will point out that Argentina did the same but those were in response to the referee letting them slip. I am not discounting that Otamendi also committed a straight red, but overall Croatia is a dirty team no question about that. They are also a slimey bunch. Rakitic napping while Argentina were on the attack is an example of that.

Ludicrous.

Croatia went up 1-0 thanks to that egregious error and then Argentina had no response whatsoever.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The sooner you accept there's a bunch of cynical cloggers in your team, the better. Laughing off the suggestion just makes you look like you're wilfully ignoring reality.
I know there's dbags on the team, but unlike you and that other clown I don't look down on everybody from my high horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks to Sampaoli I’m over this tournament and ready to watch a team that will commit to Lo Celso, Lanzini, Ascacibar, Dybala, Icardi, Martínez and others as regular starters.

Yeah if Sampaoli (or your next coach) can turn to the youth, you could be really fun again right quick. Paredes, Lo Celso & Ascicabar should be a really effective troika in the midfield that let the attackers just worry about attacking, n not also building up. And with Dybala, Lautaro, Correa, Lanzini, Pavon, etc. the attack could be really fun even if Messi retired...though if he didn't you could just roll through the next copa with something like:

Dybala* - Lautaro
Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes
Ascacibar
Tagliafico - Foyth - Mammana - Bustos
----------------------------
Lautaro
Dybala* - Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes
Ascacibar

*if Dybala & Messi can't ever click then just play Correa, Lanzini, Pavon, etc.​

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He plays well, but people who have no idea about what makes a goid player think he just passes the ball to the guy first to himself, but that has an upside, ignoramuses are easily detectable.

I cannot agree more.
To appreciate Modric, you have to have some basic knowledge of football, at for the majority of the games.
And most "fans" don't have that necessary knowledge. So when you average Croatian fan tells you Modric "mostly sucks" when playing for the NT, just don't even listen and feel safe in your estimation that that fan knows very little about football.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
A good thing Kane doesn’t play for Argentina. People would expect him to drag that team to the final to show his worth (of course Argentina would now end up playing the final).

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Disagree. In both matches I watched, Croatia were dirty. I'm not saying that to discount their performance. It's a good strategy but you have to accept that the style they're playing is very very physical. A good ref would book them with yellows for each of those foot stamps.

You're saying that the overall game was chippy. Chippy is not football. The ref has to stand his ground and give yellows when they are deserved.

You think Croatian strategy is to "play dirty"?
And foot stamps happen about 6-7 times every game, it just happens when you go in for a challenge. You're late, you catch someone, you get booked, you move on.

I don't know what game you were watching, this Croatian team has certain limitations, but they were the better team tonight and should've went ahead in the first half.
Somehow throwing dirt on a 3-0 win vs Messi's Argentina because "their strategy" is to play dirty is hilarious.
They got Mandzu, who is a famous in-your-face player, yes, and you can call him dirty if you want. I'd just describe him using the "c" word, tbh.
And Rebic is just a guy who goes all out every challenge, but there's no menace to him.
And that's basically it. Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Perisic, Kramasic... Who is "dirty", exactly?

Give me a break.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
He plays well, but people who have no idea about what makes a goid player think he just passes the ball to the guy first to himself, but that has an upside, ignoramuses are easily detectable.

Under Cacic, he didn’t have as much freedom or ability to create imo. Dalic has loosened the reigns and let him go more and we are seeing it here.

For a player of his quality, I didn’t think he was particularly strong at the last EURO, aside from the goal versus Turkey that was brilliant. Again, Cacic and his system just seemed to restrict creativity which was certainly evident against Portugal in the round of 16. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Dirty? Haven’t seen it. They are bloody smart though. Players from Croatia are in general exceptionally good at playing the game in the game.

Pepe, Costa, Ramos etc. the list of players far worse than any player from Croatia quickly becomes fairly long. And the first player on such a list from today’s game would probably be Otamendi.

Reactions: Pouchkine

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Croatians have to be pleased as well when looking down the road. I think Spain will win the group and play Russia, which could lead to Croatia playing Spain. Croatia has a good track record against them as well. Then on the other side of that same bracket they could avoid Germany or any other favorite.

I’d prefer not to look that far ahead. Old cliche for sure, but one game at a time.

Onto the next one.

Hoping that Rebic is ok. If he’s out for an extended period combined with Kalinic being sent packing, it could leave them thin up front.

Mandzukic is also on a yellow.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Yeah if Sampaoli (or your next coach) can turn to the youth, you could be really fun again right quick. Paredes, Lo Celso & Ascicabar should be a really effective troika in the midfield that let the attackers just worry about attacking, n not also building up. And with Dybala, Lautaro, Correa, Lanzini, Pavon, etc. the attack could be really fun even if Messi retired...though if he didn't you could just roll through the next copa with something like:

Dybala* - Lautaro
Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes
Ascacibar
----------------------------
Lautaro
Dybala* - Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes
Ascacibar

*if Dybala & Messi can't ever click then just play Correa, Lanzini, Pavon, etc.​

Argentina is actually my secondary team if Italy is not present at a tournament or knocked out early. Besides the US, of course, who I have to root for but, you know...

Reactions: cgf

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
They shouldn't go full youth.

Meh, maybe they should. I'd have no problem if they go out early for once due to youth. Anything is better than what you're seeing now.
Get a group of about 15 young(er) players who can grow together for the next decade and really commit to it. Add a couple of necessary vets and leave some room in case someone comes of out nowhere and deserves a call up. Give them a coach with a clear vision, not one who after a year in charge still has no clue what system and/or formation he wants to play.

This is all just a dream of course, nothing will actually change except an almost certain Sampa firing.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
If Nigeria wins or it’s a draw, I think it’s very likely.

The problem is the horrible goal difference for Argentina. They have to trash Nigeria to get it back

Doesn’t matter.

All they need is for Iceland not to win any of their games.

If that happens, they still go through with a win vs Nigeria.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They shouldn't go full youth. Icardi should be in the team. Him not being there is such a huge joke.

While I tend to agree as I’m sympathetic to Icardi’s situation & he’s a beast...I can see why his history could be an issue for team cohesion with some Argentinian players. So not knowing his relationship with each player I can at least imagine circumstances where the players you’d have to leave behind to bring him without causing animosity outweigh the upgrade that he provides over Higuain...or Lautaro moving forward.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just wanna know how my buddy @Duchene2MacKinnon has been dealing with Hall over MacKinnon and this. Stay strong!

Really? God damn it NHL, they really are just the worst. Just because half the hockey press is in bed when MacK’s games start, is no reason to not give the Hart to the only guy who genuinely challenged McDavid for the title of best player in the sport this season. Hall & Kopitar has great years that proved they were franchise players but neither of them was 8 games missed to injury from challenging for the Art Ross. That’s some bullshit.

Jogi better get his shit together now :mad:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad