World Cup: Group D: Argentina vs. Croatia, 6/21/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm going to get this out of the way now so that I don't have to do it later, but let's not rehash old and bad arguments.

Instead I will post the same thing I posted in another thread. Know the game before commenting.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argh so much to say... Wish LITN didn't lock that thread up but in all honesty it's probably a good thing. So many idiotic takes on the match and soccer in general. From the usual suspects and new comers. Which is always fun. Didn't know we had many experts on here.

Sampa could go jump off a bridge for how he treated Romero who always has been solid for the NT... brining on washed up goalies.

Biglia/Rojo/ADM can go off the same bridge. ADM wasn't bad today but it looked like he was allergic to the ball at times. Just refused any responsibility. Reminded me of Banega/Biglia in the qualifiers.

The best part about that thread thinking about it was @TheMoreYouKnow branding Argentineans whiny. Highly ironic. But it is as per.

Also Messi not being clutch lunacy, you might as well stop watching soccer if that's ones take on it. It clearly is above your heads. Or just take @Live in the Now's advice and know before you post.

Next game Lo Celso please. I won't even call on Dybala it aint happening. LETS go albiceleste!

Reactions: cgf

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
You don't think that we'll have the technology to keep di Maria in the Argentinian NT forever, within 10 years? What do you think germany has been spending so much money on medical research for?
They rotate the names to keep the players "fresh". They really screwed up with Mattheus to Lewandowski tho.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm really looking forward to the day I can watch Argentina suit up without seeing Di Maria and Biglia on my goddamn TV.

It's his last WC both of them...

anyway Lo Celso in for Biglia, Mercado in for Slyivo and Pavon in for Di Maria... but I won't be falling for Sampa Satan's tricks. Not until kick off.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina wins it. Messi will have a lot of space to operate as Croatia probably won't park the bus like Iceland. Pavon starting over Di Maria would help.

The thing is I can't remember a team not bunkering at least to a degree when Messi is on the pitch. What would help MASSIVELY is a f***ing creator other than himself. Someone to take pressure off play 1/2 with him and unlock those defensive walls., with a great through ball from the midfield. Where Meza/Kun or maybe Pavon can latch on to them. Take yesterday's game for example the had the ball for 90 minutes, they could've done anything with it but lacked the ability to do so. A guy like Lo celso could provide that. Honestly, he might just be the most important player not named Messi for them in terms of attacking anyway.

Sucks Lanzini got hurt, he along with Lo Celso combined with Messi so frigging well in the qualifiers. Something that has been almost non-existent in the NT. On the eve of the WC Lanzini gets a long term injury and the other gets benched. Pretty much Messi' NT career in a nutshell. Unbelievably bad luck and shitty decisions.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
The thing is I can't remember a team not bunkering at least to a degree when Messi is on the pitch. What would help MASSIVELY is a ****ing creator other than himself. Someone to take pressure off play 1/2 with him and unlock those defensive walls., with a great through ball from the midfield. Where Meza/Kun or maybe Pavon can latch on to them. Take yesterday's game for example the had the ball for 90 minutes, they could've done anything with it but lacked the ability to do so. A guy like Lo celso could provide that. Honestly, he might just be the most important player not named Messi for them in terms of attacking anyway.

Sucks Lanzini got hurt, he along with Lo Celso combined with Messi so frigging well in the qualifiers. Something that has been almost non-existent in the NT. On the eve of the WC Lanzini gets a long term injury and the other gets benched. Pretty much Messi' NT career in a nutshell. Unbelievably bad luck and ****ty decisions.

I'd go all cgf and start a double pivot of Banega and Lo Celso behind Meza-Messi-Pavon and Kun.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
The thing is I can't remember a team not bunkering at least to a degree when Messi is on the pitch. What would help MASSIVELY is a ****ing creator other than himself. Someone to take pressure off play 1/2 with him and unlock those defensive walls., with a great through ball from the midfield. Where Meza/Kun or maybe Pavon can latch on to them. Take yesterday's game for example the had the ball for 90 minutes, they could've done anything with it but lacked the ability to do so. A guy like Lo celso could provide that. Honestly, he might just be the most important player not named Messi for them in terms of attacking anyway.

Sucks Lanzini got hurt, he along with Lo Celso combined with Messi so frigging well in the qualifiers. Something that has been almost non-existent in the NT. On the eve of the WC Lanzini gets a long term injury and the other gets benched. Pretty much Messi' NT career in a nutshell. Unbelievably bad luck and ****ty decisions.

I can dream, right?:

Aguero Dybala
Messi

DiMaria LoCelso Pavón

Tagliafico Otamendi Mascherano Salvio

Armani

Edit: format didn’t save but that was supposed to be a 4-3-1-2

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina's midfield is just so underwhelming.

it's not underwhelming its bad and has been bad for over a decade now. Some haven't' realized this... Argentina cannot produce quality players for some time now. Anything not winged forward or a striker anyway. Keepers don't make me laugh. Fullbacks hilariously bad. CB a mess. DM LOOL. CM what's that?

Gone are the days of Riquelme, Redondo, Rugerria, Zanetti, Passeralla, Burruchaga or Veron.

You're left with Biglia, Banega, Rojo, Burdisso,Pastore, Krane and Gago.

I'd go all cgf and start a double pivot of Banega and Lo Celso behind Meza-Messi-Pavon and Kun.

After Banega's gutless performance in the 2nd last qualifiers, he's been basically dead to me. So, cowardly hiding on the pitch for 90 minutes.... ADM reminded me of him yesterday but he was still somehow worse. Plus Banega is as slow as molasses.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I can dream, right?:

Aguero Dybala
Messi

DiMaria LoCelso Pavón

Tagliafico Otamendi Mascherano Salvio

Armani

Edit: format didn’t save but that was supposed to be a 4-3-1-2

Who's playing defence in that midfield? Lo celso is way too inexperienced and probably doesn't have the ability as an out an out holding midfielder. The rest leave are straight wingers and Pavon is on his off wing.

I like new ideas though.

my optimistic expectation is

Kun
Pavon Messi Meza

Lo Celso-Masch

Tag-Otamendi-Masch-Mercado

Willy

my dream is

Dybala
Pavon Messi- Meza (maybe even Acuna or Enzo) Coco/Correa don't sound too bad right now TBH.
Lo Celso-Masch

Tag-Otamendi-Fazio(better options left out) and Mercado

New guy but it should have been Romero.

I can see keeping Banega in and starting Pavón over DiMaria, as mentioned

That would be just as disappointing. Honestly, that's probably what will happen.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Who's playing defence in that midfield? Lo celso is way too inexperienced and probably doesn't have the ability as an out an out holding midfielder. The rest leave are straight wingers and Pavon is on his off wing.

I like new ideas though.

Kun
Pavon Messi Meza

Lo Celso-Masch

Willy

Masch so reliable he’s playing twice!

On a serious note, though, you’re right I know that lineup isn’t defensively responsive. Just throwing out my attacking dream with the roster they have lol.

Seriously last game was disappointing. Argentina is my second team (Italy is my first, so you can probably guess why I root for Argentina when Italy isn’t around lol...).

I like the lineup you mentioned (I’m assuming the CB Masch is Mercado?). I don’t mind Dybala coming off the bench because I happen to really like Kun.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Masch so reliable he’s playing twice!

On a serious note, though, you’re right I know that lineup isn’t defensively responsive. Just throwing out my attacking dream with the roster they have lol.

Seriously last game was disappointing. Argentina is my second team (Italy is my first, so you can probably guess why I root for Argentina when Italy isn’t around lol...).

I like the lineup you mentioned (I’m assuming the CB Masch is Mercado?). I don’t mind Dybala coming off the bench because I happen to really like Kun.

LMAO I meant Fazio not Masch as a CB. Think his days as a CB are done... well his days in general ending. Ahem cue Ascacibar's era. But you know i'm not bitter at all. It's fine i'm fine. @Deficient Mode.

Yesterday, was a nightmare. It never happened.

I like Kun, I'm just expecting an injury pretty quick. Leaving us with younger fatboy. Dybala should be on the pitch. In his natural position as a 9 or CAM... regardless they need to make it work. Messi/Dybala.

If you really want my opinion and Dybala can't be the 9 like he should be.

Then roll with Kun as the 9. Dybala behind him releasing through balls all day and Messi on the right linking with Dybala with 1/2's. in a free role as he basically plays CM,DM,RW,9 and false 9 for Argentina while the rest watch. ala Lebron.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

I like new ideas though.

Kun
Pavon Messi Meza

Lo Celso-Masch

Willy

my dream is

Dybala
Pavon Messi- Meza (maybe even Acuna or Enzo) Coco/Correa don't sound too bad right now TBH.
Lo Celso-Masch

Tag-Otamendi-Fazio(better options left out) and Mercado

New guy but it should have been Romero.

That would be just as disappointing. Honestly, that's probably what will happen.

Why do you like Meza? I see nothing special in him. What I would do, and I know Sampa would not, I’d shift Messi to the right, Dybala behind Aguero, Pavon on the left. In order to give more freedom to Messi, I put Mercado at RB who is much better defensively than Salvio.

EDIT: I just saw your last msg in which you were saying basically the same :laugh:

As for Mascherano’s partner in midfield, anyone but Biglia. I’d prefer Lo Celso. But it doesn’t look like Sampa will be using him.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why do you like Meza? I see nothing special in him. What I would do, and I know Sampa would not, I’d shift Messi to the right, Dybala behind Aguero, Pavon on the left. In order to give more freedom to Messi, I put Mercado at RB who is much better defensively than Salvio.

EDIT: I just saw your last msg in which you were saying basically the same :laugh:

As for Mascherano’s partner in midfield, anyone but Biglia. I’d prefer Lo Celso. But it doesn’t look like Sampa will be using him.
Meza is starting because of a lack of options.. no one to blame but the AFA for that one.

I think or hope Lo Celso can start. I'm certain biglia won't there (replaced by Banega but that's the cynic in me.) I don't want to believe the latest rumours but I can't help it lool.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Meza is starting because of a lack of options.. no one to blame but the AFA for that one.

I think or hope Lo Celso can start. I'm certain biglia won't there (replaced by Banega but that's the cynic in me.) I don't want to believe the latest rumours but I can't help it lool.

Yeah I hear you. I’ve been a fan of Argentina since I can remember and started following them closely since 1992, this year’s edition is by far the worst. Argentina’s year should have been 2010. All they needed was a DM and a RB. All Maradona’a fault who decided to keep Zanetti and Cambiasso home. The team in 2014 wasn’t much impressive, but at least they had something resembling a team.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad