GDT: Group D • April 30 • Finland 5, Denmark 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Two of my favorite teams that are not Germany playing against each other. Too bad I cannot watch it on TV, I think they'll be showing USA vs. Austria instead.

May the best team win. And for the rest of the tournament I'll be rooting for Finland and Denmark, unless they play Germany. :yo:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Well, I might as well use my double post to ask something of those who can watch this game later on.

Any information on how Mads Christensen is playing would be appreciated.
He played for my favourite DEL-team this year and I would like to keep up with how he is doing.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
4-1 Finland. Denmark has a far worse team now, they are reliant on a couple of players who are not here...

1-0 Ruutu (Koivu, Lepistö)
2-0 Aaltonen (Ruutu, Koivu) PP
2-1 Staal (Unassisted)
3-1 Granlund (Immonen, Välivaara)
4-1 Granlund (Lepistö, Aaltonen) PP

tatzka90

The Universe
Apr 14, 2009
Finland
Something to watch from Finland:

four full lines of defensemen. Rarely see that in WC. Jalonen said that when playing versus top teams we have to have enough energy in our own end, so that losing less 1vs1 battles to D better. I must say wery smart, even though I'm not into defensive play.

cenas*

I hope Finland gets the early goal, but knowing the skill level of our forwards.. slim chance.

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
4-1 Finland. Denmark has a far worse team now, they are reliant on a couple of players who are not here...

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Nielsen and Regin carried the team on their shoulders last year - they will be sorely missed (so will Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, and Philip Larsen). Furthermore, this is a very inexperienced defence (on this level at least), and I'm not quite sure how they will hold up against this kind of competetition. Finally, after last years debacle, Denmark probably cannot even benefit from Finland taking them lightly.

All in all, Finland should be big favorites, although I do hope that Denmark will at least make a match out of it.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

1-0 Ruutu (Koivu, Lepistö)
2-0 Aaltonen (Ruutu, Koivu) PP
2-1 Staal (Unassisted)
3-1 Granlund (Immonen, Välivaara)
4-1 Granlund (Lepistö, Aaltonen) PP

I wouldn't call them far worse, only worse. Their goaltending is the best they ever had.
Their forward group is almost as good as last year. They miss Eller, Regin and Nielsen, but they have Bødker and 3 players don't make a team. The 9 other forwards that were there last year was also a huge part of it. And most of the forward group are young, and they have improved in the last 12 months, and Kim Staal, one of the veterans, is also playing some of the best hockey he has played in a couple of years right now.
The defence men are worse than last year, especially Damgaard will be missed. Biggest worry with the defence men is not their abilities, but their inexperience, many of them haven't played in the WC before.
Another thing about the team is that this is the group that has played every national team match this year, with the exception of Bødker. They have developed great chemistry, something which is very important in a WC.

n1k1

Jan 24, 2011
Finland should win this but it's not going to be easy. But missing Regin in the offense gonna hurt Denmark in this tournament.
guessing 4-1/2 for finland

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
They miss Eller, Regin and Nielsen
..Their three most important players...
but they have Bødker and 3 players don't make a team.
Bødker is a quality player, but he is young and can't log the minutes that Nielsen did. Last time around they could have a GOOD world champs quality player on the ice at all times. They can't do that and their defence is much worse and lacks a natural leader.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
The Finns have always played very rude, but I guess it's their type of game. If the Danes win, my team is out. Ah, they are playing the famous Finnish polka :laugh:

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Nokelainen has crashed the net (literally, crashed) 3 times so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad