Euro: Group C: Poland vs. Northern Ireland, 6/12/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Poland

Goalkeepers: Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea), Wojciech Szczesny (AS Roma), Artur Boruc (Bournemouth)

Defenders: Thiago Cionek (Palermo), Kamil Glik (Torino), Artur Jedrzejczyk (Legia Warsaw), Michal Pazdan (Legia Warsaw), Lukasz Piszczek (Borussia Dortmund), Bartosz Salamon (Cagliari), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Lechia Gdansk)

Midfielders: Jakub Blaszczykowski (Fiorentina), Kamil Grosicki (Rennes), Tomasz Jodlowiec (Legia Warsaw), Bartosz Kapustka (Cracovia), Grzegorz Krychowiak (Sevilla), Karol Linetty (Lech Poznan), Krzysztof Maczynski (Wisla), Slawomir Peszko (Lechia Gdansk), Filip Starzynski (Zaglebie Lubin), Piotr Zielinski (Empoli)

Forwards: Arkadiusz Milik (Ajax), Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), Mariusz Stepinski (Ruch Chorzow)

Northern Ireland

Goalkeepers: Michael McGovern (Hamilton), Roy Carroll (Notts County), Alan Mannus (St Johnstone)

Defenders: Craig Cathcart (Watford), Gareth McAuley (West Brom), Jonny Evans (West Brom), Luke McCullough (Doncaster), Aaron Hughes (Melbourne), Conor McLaughlin (Fleetwood), Lee Hodson (MK Dons), Paddy McNair (Manchester United)

Midfielders: Shane Ferguson (Millwall), Stuart Dallas (Leeds), Steven Davis (Southampton), Oliver Norwood (Reading), Chris Baird (Derby), Corry Evans (Blackburn), Niall McGinn (Aberdeen), Josh Magennis (Kilmarnock)

Forwards: Kyle Lafferty (Norwich), Jamie Ward (Nottingham Forest), Conor Washington (Queens Park Rangers), Will Grigg (Wigan)

Poland obviously has better players, but Northern Ireland did win their qualifying group, meaning they'd have qualified under the old system as well. I hope Poland is not taking them lightly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Poland makes a statement of intent in this game. 3-0 or 4-1. Possibly the biggest margin of match day 1.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I think Poland makes a statement of intent in this game. 3-0 or 4-1. Possibly the biggest margin of match day 1.

I'm wary tbh, if Poland shows up like they did in their recent two friendlies, N. Ireland will have chance to snatch a point or even a win. CB2 and LB positions were bit alarming.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm wary tbh, if Poland shows up like they did in their recent two friendlies, N. Ireland will have chance to snatch a point or even a win. CB2 and LB positions were bit alarming.

It may be growing up a fan of the german nt, but I don't put too much stock in friendlies. Poland had a strong qualifying campaign that really helped grow their self-belief and they've got some serious talent again. I think they're poised to upset a bigger name and will open this tourney with a bang.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
This Polish team is better than they were 4 years ago. Milik and Lewandowski work together perfectly. Very much looking forward to watching them.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Think Poland will get three points but it won't be easy. 2-1 game. Lewa pots one, Glik on a set piece, and Krychowiak will be all over the place.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I can see a lineup of:

Szczesny, Piszczek, Glik, Cionek, Jedrzejczyk, Blaszczykowski, Krychowiak, Grosicki, Linetty, Milik, Lewandowski.

They struggled a bit to score in their last two friendlies so hopefully that will be straightened out.

Also, it will be interesting to see who starts for Poland because they have two world class goalies in Fabianski and Szczesny.

Gareth Wheeler from TSN has Poland going all the way to the final with Lewandowski winning the golden boot! Even though Poland is my country I am not as optimistic :laugh:

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Szczesny, Piszczek, Glik, Cionek, Jedrzejczyk, Blaszczykowski, Krychowiak, Grosicki, Linetty, Milik, Lewandowski.

I want Salamon to get the nod to partner Glik but I'd be fine with Cionek over Pazdan too. Linetty at starting xi would surely surprise me, I expect either Zielinski or Mączyński.

Also, it will be interesting to see who starts for Poland because they have two world class goalies in Fabianski and Szczesny.
Surely a position of strength. I'm fine with either goalie though Szczesny's performances against Germany makes me more confident in him if they advance to latter stages where they have to face tougher foes.

Gareth Wheeler from TSN has Poland going all the way to the final with Lewandowski winning the golden boot! Even though Poland is my country I am not as optimistic :laugh:
This team has a potential to leave their mark, but yeah, let's start with advancing from group stage.

Last edited:

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
Erh, world class??? :laugh:

I think so... I mean they are no legends haha but they play in top leagues and top teams. They are solid keepers, better than most in the tournament I think.

And yeah, I would also prefer Salamon to start over Cionek because he is 6'4 and can make good plays and has good vision. He didn't see a lot of time in the qualifiers against Latvia and Holland though so it is unlikely I think.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Szczesny in goal, Pazdan gets the nod (don't **** up please), and Kapustka over Grosicki. Get 'em three points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->