World Cup: Group C: France vs. Peru, 6/21/2018

Result?

• Total voters

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Peru is solid, just need that bit of quality in the final third. France have barely touched the ball the whole second half.

For a team that's about to go out of the World Cup, they've created less chances and danger than Egypt and Morocco in the same situation. Of course, France is tougher than Russia and Portugal, but Peru were pretty harmless all in all given they carried the initiative in the 2nd half.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I actually wouldn't be down on France's performance here. In the context of this tournament, where it seems that no-one aims to please optically, they were solid enough and never looked in real danger.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Still not convincing.
But Peru is better than Australia and didn't have many chances to score in the end. Problem is that we didn't get many either, especially in the second half.
France should be better against better teams. But Peru didn't park the bus either and the lack of offensive creativity is worrisome.

Still we're through so we can't complain.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Peru similar to Morocco and Iran in that they have no finish. France played a pretty good game. Defensively very good, offensively lacked a bit of creativity, but still solid.

France is one of the top performers for me so far.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Peru are playing great. I thought they'd be a massive push over.

Er, how many instances can you name when a South American team at a WC was a "push over" against any European team? Outside of Brazil's breakdown in the SF and third-place game in 2014, I'm drawing empty.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Was really hoping for a draw, loved the way Peru played, their fans were awesome too.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
This tournament has seen remarkable turnout by fans of nations one wouldn't have necessarily expected it from while the European turnout is fairly unremarkable. While one can speculate that the anti-Russian political atmosphere in much of Europe has kept people home, it's difficult to say what's driven up the turnout in those other nations.
It looks like the anti Russian propaganda did some effect in Western European nations, but not anywhere else

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Nah, Peru hit the post and did not park the bus like Iran did, but keep thinking Iran deserve anything other than being thrashed by Portugal and finally going home like they should have already.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, they did deserve, as everyone and their mother told you.
I don't care about Iran BTW, but seeing those amateurs playing their heart out and having as many dangerous situations as Spain is something extremely likeable in football.
Too bad you missed it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It looks like the anti Russian propaganda did some effect in Western European nations, but not anywhere else

Anti-Russian propaganda? Do you mean travel advisories for safety reasons lol?

I still think you'd be nuts as a Westerner to go there. It does explain why the English fans that went were seen doing those chants, it's mostly the hardcore or crazy ones that went anyways against advice.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yes, they did deserve, as everyone and their mother told you.
I don't care about Iran BTW, but seeing those amateurs playing their heart out and having as many dangerous situations as Spain is something extremely likeable in football.
Too bad you missed it.

everyone and their mother is also saying Peru played very very well and deserve more than losing. I don't care about Peru but seeing them playing great football and not parking the bus and getting as many dangerous chances as France IS actually likable in football. Too bad you're biased and the most contradictory person on these boards lol.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I still think you'd be nuts as a Westerner to go there. It does explain why the English fans that went were seen doing those chants, it's mostly the hardcore or crazy ones that went anyways against advice.

I'm not aware of any travel advisory telling people not to go to Russia for the World Cup. None of the playing locations are in Chechnya or Dagestan.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Huh? :huh:
I was in St Petersburg in April. Felt totally safe and had no problem whatsoever.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
everyone and their mother is also saying Peru played very very well and deserve more than losing. I don't care about Peru but seeing them playing great football and not parking the bus and getting as many dangerous chances as France IS actually likable in football. Too bad you're biased and the most contradictory person on these boards lol.
Peru played well. But had one single scoring chance and a wonder kick that went wide touching the wood. That's all.
Saying their had as many dangerous chances is simply a lie.
Not surprising though.
No bias and no contradiction in all of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad