World Cup: Group C: France vs. Peru, 6/21/2018

Result?

• Total voters

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Peru won’t be afforded the space they had today, but if the play with the same intent, France will have its work to do.

I expect France to have a far more concerted effort than their opener showed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For those who watched more of Peru's qualifying cycle, how did they play against the biggest teams? Did they sit back more & look to counter than we saw today?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes should be a tough game. Peru won't park the bus, which is a positive for France's attack.
However, they'll be much more dangerous going forward.

One thing not talked about is the impact of afternoon games. Playing under the heat in the afternoon is bad for all creative teams that rely on speed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes should be a tough game. Peru won't park the bus, which is a positive for France's attack.
However, they'll be much more dangerous going forward.

One thing not talked about is the impact of afternoon games. Playing under the heat in the afternoon is bad for all creative teams that rely on speed.

ehhhh...

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Just saw on l'Équipe that it will probably be Tolisso and Dembélé off and Giroud and Matuidi in.

Can't really fault Deschamps here, both were atrocious, Tolisso especially whose only contributions in the match were nearly banging one in his own net and picking up a booking.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But again, you have to consider the opponent. France had little space and thus Dembele couldn't make his magic work. Giroud would have made more sense against Australia.
As for Tolisso, yes he had a bad game. Matuidi brought some life late.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
For those who watched more of Peru's qualifying cycle, how did they play against the biggest teams? Did they sit back more & look to counter than we saw today?

they were completely dominated and miraculously scraped a 0-0 draw against Argentina in Buenos Aires. Argentina hit the post at least one time that I can remember. Was comparable to Iran vs Spain but way more chances from Argentina in that game.

That was the only "big team" if you will , in the qualifiers they faced since their last loss which was against Brazil back in November 2016. Since then they hadn't lost a game until Denmark. Including wins vs Uruguay and Ecuador in Quito which is very very hard.

Therefore, I don't think France has the capability to put Peru in the position they were in that match against Argentina in Buenos Aires. France barely beat Australia. Peru is going to come out and fire on all cylinders they are capable. Maybe not get a win but can get a draw here easily.

In other words they're not going to sit back.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Giroud, OK, but Matuidi at LW?

Sigh. At least we know Matuidi will give 100% effort like he always does.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I guess one could rationalize that the only way Peru will score is on the counter or with a set piece and France could use a player or two who are more aware defensively. Giroud can be useful defensively on set pieces. But it’s a bit bonkers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->