Group B swept Group A

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
- and regarding 1987, sweden needed a court decision, to be in the top4 instead of finland, this is a fact - unreal circumstances there for SWE winning that one ;)

as a matter of fact, i believe swedes had some heavy influence @ IIHF headquarters to pull this one through - the Sikora incident

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
- and regarding 1987, sweden needed a court decision, to be in the top4 instead of finland, this is a fact - unreal circumstances there for SWE winning that one ;)

and that court decision was wrong how...?

in the playoffs, sweden played even with czechslovakia and soviet and crushed canada with 9-0.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
and that court decision was wrong how...?

in the playoffs, sweden played even with czechslovakia and soviet and crushed canada with 9-0.

Nya världsmästare blev överraskande Sverige, som efter domstolsbeslutet tog sig till finalomgången. Sverige lyckades vinna med bättre målskillnad gentemot Sovjet. En huvudroll i detta fick Kanada som lyckades spela en mållös match mot Sovjet men sedan förlorade med hela 9-0 i sin slutmatch mot Sverige. Det svenska laget blev "världsmästare i kavaj", då den sista matchen i turneringen spelades mellan Tjeckoslovakien mot Sovjetunionen. Vid vinst för Tjeckoslovakien skulle tjeckerna bli världsmästare och Sverige silvermedaljörer. Sovjetisk poängvinst, oavgjort eller vinst, skulle ge Sverige guldet.

Last edited:

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Canada losing 0-9 in a meaningless game for them - why do u think that happened / how much did they care ? ;)

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
what playoffs?

screenshot_3-png.443853

:laugh:

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Canadians had no chance to win anything and had a ton of drinks etc the night before, the format was as it was - and swedes slipped into the top 4 by a court order, being outside of top 4 otherwise ... just unreal

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Canadians had no chance to win anything and had a ton of drinks etc the night before, the format was as it was - and swedes slipped into the top 4 by a court order, being outside of top 4 otherwise ... just unreal

u dont know the mentality of canadians, they always play hard even if its "meaningless game".

yes a court order becuse another team was cheating.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Why should the canadians put in some effort in a meaningless game for the 1987, if it would mean that the soviets win another Worlds again. It was not a playoff-system, just realize that - Canada was really OK losing that one to avoid the soviets winning another title (1987 was still the Iron Curtain-times)

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Are you really thinking that SWE would of won vs CAN 1987 with the result 9-0 in a meaningful game for CAN ??

rus - CAN 0-0
CZE-SWE 3-3
CZE-CAN 4-2
SWE-rus 2-2
rus-CZE 2-1
CAN-SWE 0-9

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
I'm old enough to have seen that game on tv, just do not try to say that you think that sweden was a 9-0 powerhouse vs canada - the canadians absolutely did not care about the result, they were out of winning the tournament anyways, they were hungover and they loved to see the soviets finally not win this championship

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
In fact, everybody (excluding russians) wanted to see the USSR not to win another championship ;)

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
0-9 among those results seems OK to you;) ?

I mean CANADA 0-9 !!!

I think it goes without saying that such a score isn't indicative of Canada's skill level, just like how Canada beat Sweden 6-0 in the QF at the 2016 WC isn't indicative of Sweden's skill level. Both countries are better than these losses.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad