Euro: Group B: RUS vs. WAL & ENG vs. SVK, 6/20/2016

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It must suck from the perspective of a player to be 'forced' into playing for a system that actively encourages you not to go forward pretty much ever and just sit back and defend the whole time.

I understand playing for a result, but I guess I laud the mental fortitude of players that can do it consistently. I wouldn't be able to.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He was pretty visible missing that early chance.

Agreed, the worst euro I've seen. It should get better once all the smaller teams that shouldn't have made it, get out.

They've haven't even attempt to play since 1st minute.

Funny, I can't even tell who'd be the easier of the 2 at this point.

This is precisely why I was against expanding the tournament from 16 teams to 24. It makes for some ugly football when you see these smaller football nations just try and defend...and do nothing much offensively.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd play both Walker and Clyne on the right side, they're far more of a threat than the other guys. Get Lallana on the left and keep Kane, Henderson, and Deli Alli away from the pitch.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Jesus Christ, I'm far from an English supporter but that that was just so ****ing awful and frustrating to watch.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
We didn't even try to play football tonight which was disappointing but we got the point we wanted.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's really weird to see many of you guys blaming Slovakia. They're playing with their tools, which aren't many.
France has faced the same problem against Romania and Albania and I fully blame France.

When you have that much talent against a team with so few, you should be able to crack that D.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't really know that that style of play won't be seen late into the tournament anyway. Look at the Netherlands and Argentina in the World Cup (two prominent examples anyway).

A lot of top teams seem to be taking a page out of the Mourinho playbook because it's a lot easier to try and capitalize on another team's mistakes by drawing them in and forcing them to play more risky. When results are more important than entertainment it's not uncommon for teams to play defensively.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Please never 24 teams again, ever. Can't stand this **** anymore. What a terrible euro.
Or, more importantly, the lack of creativity, even among the best nations is disgusting.

NT coaches choose to ignore the Ben Arfas of the world because creativity has become a forgotten art in today's football. It's all about speed and physicality.

Some creative players would find a way against such teams.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hoping for them to go back to 16 teams is like hoping for the NHL to go down to 70 games. It's not gonna happen now $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
It's really weird to see many of you guys blaming Slovakia. They're playing with their tools, which aren't many.
France has faced the same problem against Romania and Albania and I fully blame France.

When you have that much talent against a team with so few, you should be able to crack that D.

You get your share of chances as well for the most part. Got to make the most of those which England obviously didn't.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
Simple solution for me. Next euro, top 2 teams from each group advance. Seed them from 1-12. Top 4 teams get a bye to the quarters.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Or, more importantly, the lack of creativity, even among the best nations is disgusting.

NT coaches choose to ignore the Ben Arfas of the world because creativity has become a forgotten art in today's football. It's all about speed and physicality.

Some creative players would find a way against such teams.

I don't care how creative a player/team is. When you have 10 men behind the ball, it's going to be very difficult to breakthrough. Full credit to Slovakia because they committed to the system and didn't allow England any entry...

Though the lack of entertainment is a symptom of expanding the tournament to 24 teams and allowing 3rd place finishes.

Simple solution for me. Next euro, top 2 teams from each group advance. Seed them from 1-12. Top 4 teams get a bye to the quarters.

I'd be up for that.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I think Russia is bad because all their players (except Neustatter) are from Russian league. They have european money there, but not competiton. And european cups are not enough I guess.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I guess I overrated Slovakia if this the best they can produce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad