GDT: Group B - May 8 - Finland vs Norway

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yup, Lions should take more penalties against these lower tier countries.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
7 goal difference in all the three games so far? That is the constant, not Aho lines output which has been quite volatile function. Pitäisikö huolestua?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Countries like Norway and Latvia have now chance to paly like Finland did in old days. I think hockey is now going back to where it was in late 80s. Of course with major differencies in... everything due to players being so good and professional, but the offensive minded, even artist game is definitely back. There teams like Norway could play like Finland back then, with crazy work ethics and determination and hustle and head to toe defense and never give up hockey. But maybe that Sisu hockey only works for Finland :P

Reactions: Loffer

Solnik

Apr 3, 2018
Olkusz
I expected Norway to be slighty tougher opponent for Finland than Korea & Latvia but apparently I was wrong. Great to see Granny line's starting to look as dominant as it has been projected to be. On the other hand the third line was kinda non-existent again. I think Maenalanen should be moved up, another good game by him. All in all, Finland still waits for its first serious test in this tournament.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Wow, Finland is just killing it at this tournament (or is it because of the opponents so far?). Congratulations, well done to keep up the concentration in all 3 games!

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
These Honka bros are quite velikultia. They want to dangle in a phone boot except in even more inappropriate places and situations just for the the thrill and fun for it. Orange Julius and Jukka Poika, I salute you and your playfulness and some balls of steel. :D
Sure, although I wouldn't mind if their coaches told them at least sometimes that you are allowed to pass also in the beautiful team game of hockey.

Reactions: Loffer

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Sure, although I wouldn't mind if their coaches told them at least sometimes that you are allowed to pass also in the beautiful team game of hockey.

Sure sure. That is the default and I am not saying that is the wisest or right way to play. It is just something I must give some credit of personality and artistic swag.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Wow, Finland is just killing it at this tournament (or is it because of the opponents so far?). Congratulations, well done to keep up the concentration in all 3 games!
Opponents have been weak. Denmark will be the first challenge, I hope. Good goaltending and some really good forwards.

Reactions: Valdemar

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Opponents have been weak. Denmark will be the first challenge, I hope. Good goaltending and some really good forwards.

I doubt that Denmark is a real challenge. The first real challenge for Finland will be USA I think. Neither Denmark nor Germany could convince so far. But may be the Finns catch a bad day against Denmark, then they may have a chance.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007

I hope the same, but I'm a little worried that it can end really bad if we play like we did against Canada.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think it’s really more about Finland having a really damn good team this year. If they play like they have played so far, I doubt that Denmark or Germany will be able to get much better results against Finland. The combination of skating and skill that this team has is something that we have in fact seen very rarely in Finnish national teams.

Norway and Denmark already won Germany barely after shootouts, so it really seems like Denmark, Norway, Germany and Latvia are pretty much at the same level with each others. Last year’s Finland would have had in fact most probably serious problems against all of these teams.

Kudos to Marjamäki for letting the skilled guys really play active and courageous offensive hockey. Hopefully the old Marjamäki is dead and buried and will not come haunting the team when the toughest and most meaningful games start.

I have a good feeling about this team’s chances against any team in this tournament, if they are let to play in the similar way against all teams.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
I doubt that Denmark is a real challenge. The first real challenge for Finland will be USA I think. Neither Denmark nor Germany could convince so far. But may be the Finns catch a bad day against Denmark, then they may have a chance.
Really! Not Canada?

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Do You still have Wikegård commentating also? he wasn't the best, but when I still had swedish channels while living with my parents and could watch the swedish tv games, he was always entertaining..him and Renberg!

Unfortunately, yes. But he is on Canal Digital and WC is broadcasted on Viasat.

I can’t stand him. The world centers around him and he is the expert of the experts, in his own opinion. Still he has accomplished jack shit in his life. I’ve met him at parties two or three times and he is an arrogant bastard in real life as well.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Canada is before USA. You probably mixed them.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Aho is such an amazing player. He reminds me of Peter Forsberg, except the physical play. He can skate around the entire ice a couple of laps without anyone being even close to taking the puck, has great hockey IQ and make passes that are out of this world.

I love Laine, but Aho is on another level. He is a complete player and a game changer.

How about trading nationality of Swedish Aho and Finnish Aho? We could sure use a player of FIN-Ahos calibre. :laugh:

Reactions: MMANumminen

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

You mean Canada, we face Canada after Denmark, hard to think a victory over the clear world champion favorite.
And what comes to USA, i was hopeful before the games that we could of won them, but now...not so much

Its getting quite clear that USA is 1st (due to win over Canada) Canada is 2nd and we Finns finish 3rd in the group.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The Finns have guys that can score these days, that is evident.

Also evident that hockey in Norway hasn't managed to evolve in the right direction. Kind of like male cross country skiing in Sweden.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
The Finns have guys that can score these days, that is evident.

Also evident that hockey in Norway hasn't managed to evolve in the right direction. Kind of like male cross country skiing in Sweden.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
I don`t think we will evolve either. No rinks are being built. The status of the sport is low. In my city they are going to spend 100 million Euro on cross country and ski jumping. The skijumping slope alone will cost around 50. 50 million spent on 15 skijumpers in the area.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You really think people think 95 in favor of '11 when it comes to Mertaranta? So many people have already forgotten what kind of deal it was and I certainly couldn't remember if I wanted since I was born 3 years after 95.

The point hasn't changed one bit. He's inadequate in his field nowadays.
Sorry, but you are clearly a bit clueless with this. Of course if you were only 3 years old when Finland won in 1995, then Mertaranta’s commentating doesn’t give you the same vibes and nostalgic feelings as it gives to so many of us whom were already big hockey and national team fans long before the 1st championship win that Finland finally achieved. It is seriously a ”never forget”-thing, that even the magnificent 2011 championship can’t be really compared with. Winning it for the 1st time after all the numerous bitter championships disappointments and losses at the final meters, was just simply a once in a life time experience for enthusiastic Finnish national team’s fans like me and thousands of other.

You obviously can’t understand it, because you are from a different generation whom had already known about how succesful Finland had already been in the past. But you shouldn’t still put down the meaning of 1995 in general, even if you can’t understand it too well yourself.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->