GDT: Group B - May 5 - Finland vs Korea

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I would have had Jokiharju even ahead of Juolevi, but Juolevi after him for sure. They both are clearly better than Pokka
Jokiharju was great offensively, but defensively he's so obviously still a work in progress. He lost a metric ton of 1-on-1s in the defensive zone over the camp.

Now, he could still have made it since he was arguably an asset in some situations, but on this level, he would have been a niche player requiring plenty of sheltering.

As for Juolevi... unlike Jokiharju, the brief look we got at him didn't reveal any huge faults in his defensive game, in fact I'd say he passed that part with flying colors. But he was still showing nothing that would have given him an edge over Pokka, who was similarly defensively sound.

What I sadly can't say is if Juolevi had been an asset offensively, he kinda got shafted here by both the management and his personal schedule. The brief two-game window he got obviously wasn't enough to convince Marjamäki of anything, maybe he should have joined the camp earlier instead of dressing for the Liiga bronze game.

In the end though, I'm not going to say Juolevi wouldn't have had room in our final d-corps. You're just barking up the wrong tree if you're trying to create a controversy about picking Pokka over him. The name you should be targeting is Koivisto.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Great idea. C64 Zaxxon, Boulder Dash, Saboteur II, Pole Position, Nemesis of Warlock, Johnny Reb II, and all thousands of old good games. Ooooh! C64 Pirates! or ...Commando!

Those loading times tho, lol.

oh-dear, yes.

Pirates...oh my god! and commando, heck yeah!.

we never had C64, we had Nintendo. thou our friends had C64's
so i did got some experience with C64 .

I got familiar with some of those games thru Amiga (that was huge in Europe)
...talking about Amiga, best version of the secret of Monkey Island
comes by Amiga.

----

Reactions: Se829ne

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Nintendo was ahead of its time with Blades Of Steel thou :)

Yep, but these examples of C64 hockey games from 80's are not best examples of C64 games. For example C64 Mercenary was years ahead of time upon it's publication, and Defender of the Crown got widespread acclaim for it's unprecedented graphics, playability, and depth, etc.

No one should forget Rob Hubbard's pioneering role in Game-music/computer/electronic music either.

Anyway, now this split-topic is going to really off-topic, how interesting it otherwise would be to talk about these things. :)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yep, but these examples of C64 hockey games from 80's are not best examples of C64 games. For example C64 Mercenary was years ahead of time upon it's publication, and Defender of the Crown got widespread acclaim for it's unprecedented graphics, playability, and depth, etc.

Anyway, now this split-topic is going to really off-topic, how interesting it otherwise would be to talk about these things. :)

I know...i just wanted to point that out :)

Way-Way off-topic. I think this should be the last post for this matter (well after your reply that is :))
(for real)

PS. Extremely interesting to talk about old games.

Reactions: Se829ne

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
What the f*** happened here? Not that I was expecting a Korea win, but this is the same team that was within a goal of the Finn's 3 months ago.

Did Dalton just forget how to play goalie in those 3 months?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What the **** happened here? Not that I was expecting a Korea win, but this is the same team that was within a goal of the Finn's 3 months ago.

As opposed to three months ago, Finland's now got about 300 NHL points in their lineup. That's what happened.

Let's not forget that so far in the season, Korea has only faced squads made up of euroleaguers. Now they ran into a team which has its top-six loaded with NHLers.

And they will run into two more before the tournament winds down...

EDIT: Though this is not to say there's a massive talent gap between the NHLers and top-shelf players from Europe. However, there is a discernible talent gap between the Korean team and even said euroleaguers. And when one threw NHLers into that mix, the gap grew even wider - so wide that they simply had not even a theoretical chance to cross it.

Last edited:

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

No one should forget Rob Hubbard's pioneering role in Game-music/computer/electronic music either.

Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway and Chris Hülsbeck aka Korea's 3rd line.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Ah okay, my bad, I thought that the two Carolina guys were the only notables up front, didn't realize a lot of the eliminees had flown over.

It's still bizarre how bad Korea looked today though. This is a Korea team that for the better part of two years has been doing nothing but climbing the ranks and hanging with the big boys without looking out of place, even in losses. Two dude's shouldn't be able to feast on a team the way they were allowed today, no matter who they are.

I get that NHLers make a difference, but that was embarrassing regardless, when France got promoted a few years back (When they finally revived permanent promotion) they didn't look nearly as weak and the AIHL is better than the Ligue Magnus.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ah okay, my bad, I thought that the two Carolina guys were the only notables up front, didn't realize a lot of the eliminees had flown over.
You could have checked the lineup posted in post #1 of this thread. But I suppose that happens to the best of us.

Even if Korea has been climbing the ranks, the point still stands - they hadn't really run into bona fide NHL talent before today. I think the closest they could have faced was the Russian team in the Olympics, loaded with top shelf KHLers, but that matchup never came to be.

France and Korea aren't really analogous. Could be that AIHL is better than the French League... but unlike Korea, which is 100% AIHL, France is only - and has been for a while - about 50% Ligue Magnus. Even when they don't have their few odd NHLers in their squad, France's core is still made up of players who have made their way to the top tier leagues in Europe - Sweden, Finland, Switzerland. These guys are obviously not going to win them any titles, but they're still a reliable enough backbone that have enabled France's permanent stay in the Elite division.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
What the **** happened here? Not that I was expecting a Korea win, but this is the same team that was within a goal of the Finn's 3 months ago.

They had a perfect game with their whole nation cheering for them like crazy. Momentum is everything and they played the game like it was their teams historys most important game yet, and Finland played it like it was we have to play it but we don't really wanna and tried to save their top guys energy for the next game which was on the next day and against Canada or something. And then the South Korea started to bite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->