Oslo
Oh, and I'll just leave this here:
sbsK7kUl.jpg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think we'll channel our inner Curonians and burn down the Swedish capital. Or at least their dressing room.
That's a little aggressive :laugh: I was just suggesting an upset in hockey on the international stage.

Reactions: Kalv

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Really not even 1%? Take a look at recent Sweden - Latvia games,dude.

2017 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:0
2016 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:1 OT
2015 WC Sweden - Latvia 8:1 (yup,this game was a disaster)
2014 Olympics Sweden - Latvia 5:3
2012 WC Sweden - Latvia 4:0
2010 WC Sweden - Latvia 4:2
2009 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:3 (SO)

I don't think he was completely serious with the 1% comment. Still, I'd say realistically Sweden should win at least 4 out of 5 games against Latvia, meaning 80% - 20%.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I don't think he was completely serious with the 1% comment. Still, I'd say realistically Sweden should win at least 4 out of 5 games against Latvia, meaning 80% - 20%.
It's closer to 90/10, if we're being honest.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
So many people upset with Denmark now, but Latvia kept two much more high powered offenses from reaching their full offensive potential with the same strategy. The way to beat Latvia isn't Cam Atkinson, it isn't Patrick Kane, it isn't Johnny Gaudreau, it isn't Ryan Nugent Hopkins, it isn't skate a little faster, try a little harder, waste a little more energy, dangle a bit more maybe that'll help, no it won't. Like it doesn't even make sense, the way teams come out in the first period trying to play Latvia, so arrogant. "Well McDavid wasn't fast enough to skate through 4 Latvians playing zone but who knows, maybe I can."

The way to score on Latvia is like Canada did in the first period. Shot on net, screen by Pageau, Beauvillier with the dirty goal. Thing is, that goal fell into their lap by accident because of a great screen and battle for position by Pageau. Beauvillier wasn't actually even looking for a dirty goal, he just got lucky Galvins was looking the wrong way and Pageau took out Cibulskis. Same dance on the US powerplay, and btw Latvia has been murdering powerplays because it's the same thing going on. Kreider front of the net, screen, clean up the rebound and another dirty goal. Kreider definitely wreaked the most havoc in the USA-Latvia game. But most teams don't have a Kreider, because forwards of that nature aren't fashionable anymore. Finland also did it. Goal 2, a tip in front by the screening forward. Goal 3, rebound goal. After the first period, no one was really trying, they won it that fast. Norway's second goal was also made possible because Ken Andre Olimb got in front of Merzlikins, blocking his field of vision, and got position on Cibulskis.

Denmark didn't learn from, well, every team before it. They came out skating in circles in the offensive zone. Latvia will let you do that all day, they keep three guys above the goal line at all times. You skate in circles a little faster, no, probably will not help. Ooh, you did a deke in the corner, how cute. Then Denmark stopped trying to be fancy, and generated more offense, but they kept getting pushed around in front of the net. They never got position against the Latvian defense. Every time, one-timers were blocked out in front, never reached Merzlikins for a rebound. When they reached Merzlikins, they got pushed around and pushed over in the scramble for the puck. Once or twice when the stars really aligned they tried to be fancy on Merzlikins' doorstep, instead of just jamming at the puck. Despite getting some rebounds in the 2nd and 3rd period, they never were close to a dirty goal or an effective screen.

Denmark didn't have the personnel to beat Latvia. It could not be more simple.

And now we know Latvia will be in our group next year. :help: We happen to have less power forwards than even Denmark. We'll be lucky to get 10 shots on goal.

cool analysis, @kabidjan18 - enjoyed reading that!

Reactions: kabidjan18

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Love the Latvian fans ...they are a credit to the game of hockey and are welcome in any host city.

This was true Bob Hartley - this was why he was fired because professional teams can't play 82 games this way and be successful... Lets just say I hope for some good hockey on the weekend and no hockey fan can call what we watched today good hockey.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Really not even 1%? Take a look at recent Sweden - Latvia games,dude.

2017 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:0
2016 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:1 OT
2015 WC Sweden - Latvia 8:1 (yup,this game was a disaster)
2014 Olympics Sweden - Latvia 5:3
2012 WC Sweden - Latvia 4:0
2010 WC Sweden - Latvia 4:2
2009 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:3 (SO)

Different years, different teams. But sure, my estimate came right from the butt, and was meant to give emphasis to that I believe Sweden is huge favourits coming into the QF. And not a calculated accurate actual probability.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I just want to say congrqts to latvia.. A disaster and im throwing up in disgust to hear shitty excuses. We are mentally weak. Latvia fully deserved

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Revenge of the Latvians! Denmark wins hosting, but Latvia beats them out for the QFs...

Feel kinda bad for the Danes though, always sucks not making the quarters at your own Championship, especially after all the progress the team has been making over the last few years, and facing off against Sweden would have certainly been a sweet match for them.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Different years, different teams. But sure, my estimate came right from the butt, and was meant to give emphasis to that I believe Sweden is huge favourits coming into the QF. And not a calculated accurate actual probability.
I think Sweden are the absolute favorites going into our upcoming game. But just out of curiosity, could you share some of that sweet calculation you have made? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad