GDT: Group B - May 15 - Latvia vs Denmark

yeshuah

May 14, 2018
good game by Latvia - congrats

embarrassing that the Danes didn't seem to be able to try any different ways of attacking

Reactions: Kalv

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Congrats to Latvia! Danes should be happy to not be crushed 6-0 by Sweden in the QF.

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
It was well deserved win for Latvia, as Denmark play, simply put, was underwhelming this evening.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Congrats Latvia. Well deserved win. Denmark on the other hand does never deserve to be called a hockey nation. The team showed nothing in the most important game.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Fire Janne Karlsson now !!

Yes. We need something new.

Our mentality is "useless". I keep hearing people saying "Denmark can't play hockey as favorites" - Give me a break. We need to get over our inferiority complexes.

Honestly, I could't care less about getting 11 points. If we don't reach the quarterfinal with this team..... Something wrong with the coaches.... We made like 2-3 goals in 5 vs 5.... Come on..

Congratz Latvia! Strong performance, strong coaching!

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Disappointing not to see the hosts with a few NHLers make the elimination round but if you can't beat Latvia in a do or die game then you don't deserve it.

Denmark continue to disappoint me in a sense that you'd think one of these years they have a big tournament where they overachieve but it never seems to be happen. Even though they didn't make the elimination round i think they tied the most points they've ever had (11). So it was a decent tournament but i hoped for a bit more with the home crowd behind them.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Denmark just couldn't score. Andersen had .944 save percentage in 6 games and still didn't make it. Offense is the problem.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Sorry to se Denmark lose, would have been a fun QF. Well congrats to Latvia, who has about 0.355 % chance of winning against Sweden.

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Sorry to se Denmark lose, would have been a fun QF. Well congrats to Latvia, who has about 0.355 % chance of winning against Sweden.
Really not even 1%? Take a look at recent Sweden - Latvia games,dude.

2017 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:0
2016 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:1 OT
2015 WC Sweden - Latvia 8:1 (yup,this game was a disaster)
2014 Olympics Sweden - Latvia 5:3
2012 WC Sweden - Latvia 4:0
2010 WC Sweden - Latvia 4:2
2009 WC Sweden - Latvia 2:3 (SO)

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
So you are saying there is a chance?

Since 1992. when playoff format was introduced "small" teams never beat big seven (Swiss victory over Cze in 2013. is something of borderline case as Swiss made numerous upsets at Olympics and WC's). Maybe this is the year, however I will cheer hard for Latvia on Thursday !

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Last time we beat Sweden in WCH was in 2009, last time we made the playoffs was also 2009.

We made the playoffs this year and we have to play Sweden. Coincidence? I think not.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Last time we beat Sweden in WCH was in 2009, last time we made the playoffs was also 2009.

We made the playoffs this year and we have to play Sweden. Coincidence? I think not.

we have much better team know than in 2009, we will crush latvia like a bug.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Denmark got outworked and outcoached. Congrats Latvia.

I'm baffled trying to read Karlssons mind. But to be honest - you lose at the dot, you lose at the boards, you skate around the net - I'm not sure how you coach your way out of that.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
So many people upset with Denmark now, but Latvia kept two much more high powered offenses from reaching their full offensive potential with the same strategy. The way to beat Latvia isn't Cam Atkinson, it isn't Patrick Kane, it isn't Johnny Gaudreau, it isn't Ryan Nugent Hopkins, it isn't skate a little faster, try a little harder, waste a little more energy, dangle a bit more maybe that'll help, no it won't. Like it doesn't even make sense, the way teams come out in the first period trying to play Latvia, so arrogant. "Well McDavid wasn't fast enough to skate through 4 Latvians playing zone but who knows, maybe I can."

The way to score on Latvia is like Canada did in the first period. Shot on net, screen by Pageau, Beauvillier with the dirty goal. Thing is, that goal fell into their lap by accident because of a great screen and battle for position by Pageau. Beauvillier wasn't actually even looking for a dirty goal, he just got lucky Galvins was looking the wrong way and Pageau took out Cibulskis. Same dance on the US powerplay, and btw Latvia has been murdering powerplays because it's the same thing going on. Kreider front of the net, screen, clean up the rebound and another dirty goal. Kreider definitely wreaked the most havoc in the USA-Latvia game. But most teams don't have a Kreider, because forwards of that nature aren't fashionable anymore. Finland also did it. Goal 2, a tip in front by the screening forward. Goal 3, rebound goal. After the first period, no one was really trying, they won it that fast. Norway's second goal was also made possible because Ken Andre Olimb got in front of Merzlikins, blocking his field of vision, and got position on Cibulskis.

Denmark didn't learn from, well, every team before it. They came out skating in circles in the offensive zone. Latvia will let you do that all day, they keep three guys above the goal line at all times. You skate in circles a little faster, no, probably will not help. Ooh, you did a deke in the corner, how cute. Then Denmark stopped trying to be fancy, and generated more offense, but they kept getting pushed around in front of the net. They never got position against the Latvian defense. Every time, one-timers were blocked out in front, never reached Merzlikins for a rebound. When they reached Merzlikins, they got pushed around and pushed over in the scramble for the puck. Once or twice when the stars really aligned they tried to be fancy on Merzlikins' doorstep, instead of just jamming at the puck. Despite getting some rebounds in the 2nd and 3rd period, they never were close to a dirty goal or an effective screen.

Denmark didn't have the personnel to beat Latvia. It could not be more simple.

And now we know Latvia will be in our group next year. :help: We happen to have less power forwards than even Denmark. We'll be lucky to get 10 shots on goal.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
So many people upset with Denmark now, but Latvia kept two much more high powered offenses from reaching their full offensive potential with the same strategy. The way to beat Latvia isn't Cam Atkinson, it isn't Patrick Kane, it isn't Johnny Gaudreau, it isn't Ryan Nugent Hopkins, it isn't skate a little faster, try a little harder, waste a little more energy, dangle a bit more maybe that'll help, no it won't. Like it doesn't even make sense, the way teams come out in the first period trying to play Latvia, so arrogant. "Well McDavid wasn't fast enough to skate through 4 Latvians playing zone but who knows, maybe I can."

The way to score on Latvia is like Canada did in the first period. Shot on net, screen by Pageau, Beauvillier with the dirty goal. Thing is, that goal fell into their lap by accident because of a great screen and battle for position by Pageau. Beauvillier wasn't actually even looking for a dirty goal, he just got lucky Galvins was looking the wrong way and Pageau took out Cibulskis. Same dance on the US powerplay, and btw Latvia has been murdering powerplays because it's the same thing going on. Kreider front of the net, screen, clean up the rebound and another dirty goal. Kreider definitely wreaked the most havoc in the USA-Latvia game. But most teams don't have a Kreider, because forwards of that nature aren't fashionable anymore. Finland also did it. Goal 2, a tip in front by the screening forward. Goal 3, rebound goal. After the first period, no one was really trying, they won it that fast. Norway's second goal was also made possible because Ken Andre Olimb got in front of Merzlikins, blocking his field of vision, and got position on Cibulskis.

Denmark didn't learn from, well, every team before it. They came out skating in circles in the offensive zone. Latvia will let you do that all day, they keep three guys above the goal line at all times. You skate in circles a little faster, no, probably will not help. Ooh, you did a deke in the corner, how cute. Then Denmark stopped trying to be fancy, and generated more offense, but they kept getting pushed around in front of the net. They never got position against the Latvian defense. Every time, one-timers were blocked out in front, never reached Merzlikins for a rebound. When they reached Merzlikins, they got pushed around and pushed over in the scramble for the puck. Once or twice when the stars really aligned they tried to be fancy on Merzlikins' doorstep, instead of just jamming at the puck. Despite getting some rebounds in the 2nd and 3rd period, they never were close to a dirty goal or an effective screen.

Denmark didn't have the personnel to beat Latvia. It could not be more simple.

And now we know Latvia will be in our group next year. :help: We happen to have less power forwards than even Denmark. We'll be lucky to get 10 shots on goal.
That's some great analysis right there.

As I said before, one can only hope the Swedish players are as overconfident as all the posters on these boards who already penciled in Denmark as their next opponents, because they have a few NHLers on their roster. It sure looks nice and shiny on paper.

We haven't been in the QFs since 2009, but for the first time in history I can feel that the Latvian players don't feel any sense of achievement. They taste blood in their mouths and they want some more.

I couldn't be more proud of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad