GDT: Group B - May 15 - Latvia vs Denmark

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Andersen isn't good because he's in the NHL, he's good because he's a top goalie in the NHL, Andersen is the best goalie at this years worlds by a mile.
Andersen hovers right around the league average SVS%. He's a good goalie. He's not a top goalie.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Not many seem to play a lot of games? I have no idea what this means. Sotnieks and Balinskis were injured in 17/18 and missed some games. What are you implying? I have a certain feeling you're not aware of how many games there are in European leagues every season.

As for point production, it seems like almost everyone is more productive than their Danish counterparts. And, yes, someone recording 27 points in Czech Extraliga is probably capable of contributing more offensively than a guy with 4 assists in 59 games in the KHL or SHL.

As for goalies, I'll let Elvis speak for himself.

Pure D-men are great, but when it's all you have, your transition game suffers and there's no one to get the puck to your forwards. They have to do all the work.

Weren't you the guy that said a few years back, I believe it was around 2013-14 during a wjc or before the draft, and a Latvian poster (almost certain it was you) claimed that Balcers or the younger Bukarts (Can't remember witch one) was on par with or better than Ehlers?

I saw more than a few players with sub 25 games - Might have been a few forwards, but to my knowledge most leagues have 50ish games at least.

No matter what happens tonight

Let's just agree to disagree.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Andersen hovers right around the league average SVS%. He's a good goalie. He's not a top goalie.
This just shows you know little about NHL goalie evaluation, svs% is a very flawed stat when used alone.

Like one poster said he is around 8-13 atm, with some analysts having him higher.

even a top 15 NHL goalie is a top goalie compared to most any Euro based goalies.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
#9 SVS% when only counting goalies with over 50 games.
Over the last 4 years Andersen has recorded a 91.67 SV%, he ranks 20th in SV%, counting goalies with at least 5000 minutes on ice. 91.67% is a fraction of a percent above the league average.

He's not a top goalie. He's slightly above average at best.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Do elaborate.
Number of games played
Defense infront of you
System in place
SOG faced on a nightly basis
Even the team you play on is something I would consider.
Toronto is crazy hard on it's team, even more so, goalies.
No goalie in almost 20 years has been able to tame Toronto.
Take away his October, and he is top 3.

Filter for gp, he is top 9.

But again, agree to disagree, this is getting repetitive.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Weren't you the guy that said a few years back, I believe it was around 2013-14 during a wjc or before the draft, and a Latvian poster (almost certain it was you) claimed that Balcers or the younger Bukarts (Can't remember witch one) was on par with or better than Ehlers?
I don't remember saying anything of the like. If you want to refer to what I've posted before, please quote me directly. It's not very respectful otherwise.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don't remember saying anything of the like. If you want to refer to what I've posted before, please quote me directly. It's not very respectful otherwise.
I don't think you should be talking about being respectful.

That is why I asked you:)

After Xenforo, it is not possible to go that far back.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Number of games played
Defense infront of you
System in place
SOG faced on a nightly basis
Even the team you play on is something I would consider.
Toronto is crazy hard on it's team, even more so, goalies.
No goalie in almost 20 years has been able to tame Toronto.
Take away his October, and he is top 3.

Filter for players, he is top 9.

But again, agree to disagree, this is getting repetitive.
Number of games played is only used to reduce variance.

Defense in front of you or GAA or the number of shots faced is usually a negligible factor. The only exception would be some outlier team that constantly employs trapping tactics. NJD used to do that.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Number of games played is only used to reduce variance.

Defense in front of you or GAA or the number of shots faced is usually a negligible factor. The only exception would be some outlier team that constantly employs trapping tactics. NJD used to do that.

I don't agree..

But anyway, if Andersen is a slightly above avg. NHL goalie, what does that make the Lugano boy?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Jerabek is the ref for this game? Oh for f***s sake. Is this a f***ing joke? What a f***ing joke organization IIHF is. He shouldnt be a ref at this level. Bush league.

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Yeah, Antonin Jerabek ref for this game. Well,congrats Denmark on making quaterfinals.

For those unaware,this is the dumb ref that disallowed goal for Latvia in 2014,when we played Belarus (host) where winner goes to quaterfinal.
Few years before he did it again.

And now he is the ref again. Latvia vs Host,winner maker Q/F.... Aaaaargh...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah, Antonin Jerabek ref for this game. Well,congrats Denmark on making quaterfinals.

For those unaware,this is the dumb ref that disallowed goal for Latvia in 2014,when we played Belarus (host) where winner goes to quaterfinal.
Few years before that he did it again.

And now he is the ref again. Aaaaargh...
He will probably use tonight to redeem you.
Latvia will take this, mark my words, Denmark will crumble with the pressure.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I don't agree..

But anyway, if Andersen is a slightly above avg. NHL goalie, what does that make the Lugano boy?
The only reason Merzlikins isn't an NHL goalie by now is his personality on ice, which was seen as a liability. He also didn't want to grind through ECHL and settled for NLA, which is on par with AHL.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
One thing ive noticed is that Hartley has really drilled our guys to keep the sticks on ice when on defence. That has prevented many Danish entries into the zone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->