GDT: Group B - May 13 - Germany vs Finland

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Well Finland had game just yesterday against freaking McDanada, what did you expect?

Glad for Germany and congratulations, it was hell of a game, their win was well deserved with great defending team play and über goaltending. Those have been basis for Finland too so many times, must appreciate their effort.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Maybe Finns should try a North American as a coach? Or does national pride forbid that?
We have some really good coaches of our own, so I don’t at least see any need for that. It’s just that in Marjamäki we are at the moment seriously having one of the worst coaches that we have ever had for the national team. I knew it and called it already when he started in his job two years ago. Watching every single game that he coached the previous season as Kärpät Liiga coach made me realize that he is not at all as good as a coach as some Finns have believed.

We had in fact a Canadian coach (Doug Shedden) many years ago, but honestly I didn’t like his coaching too much, although it wasn’t bad necessarily (Finland got bronze in WHC that year) but still mostly boring North American style dump and chase hockey that I dislike generally very much.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Hard to train football for kids when weather is horrible and just non playable for 8-9 months per year. You always give huge training edge for south countries. The global warming has helped south finland bit in that though. Most finland even helsinki still alot minus celsius and lot of snow, where would our kids train? Most do not train alot then which shows

Well, maybe indoors on artificial turf...

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
fLBWdaK.jpg

He is Eugene from the Walking Dead. I'm guessing some people here have watched that. He looks like him and he kinda does some things similar to Eugene in the series, just too many similarities if you start digging into it.

Larry "Walking Dead" Berry Hill. You nailed it. Thank you.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
I guess it comes down to what sport came first. Once a sport has established itself for certain amount of time, its almost impossible to change the dynamic.
Soccer/European football will always be number one in Germany, but number two: it always changes. When Boris Becker and Steffi Graf were good at tennis, everybody watched tennis, it's almost off anybody's radar nowadays. Then we had great swimmers and swimming was the deal... not so good anymore these days: no interest in swimming. When Germany won the handball world cup, it was handball... a couple of years ago it was biathlon... if our icehockey team could just be a bit more consistend in winning when it really matters (like against Denmark and Latvia), hockey might become number 2... but I fear now with no QF the olympic enthusiasm is going to vanish again...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Soccer/European football will always be number one in Germany, but number two: it always changes. When Boris Becker and Steffi Graf were good at tennis, everybody watched tennis, it's almost off anybody's radar nowadays. Then we had great swimmers and swimming was the deal... not so good anymore these days: no interest in swimming. When Germany won the handball world cup, it was handball... a couple of years ago it was biathlon... if our icehockey team could just be a bit more consistend in winning when it really matters (like against Denmark and Latvia), hockey might become number 2... but I fear now with no QF the olympic enthusiasm is going to vanish again...

You forgot Formula Uno.

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
We have some really good coaches of our own, so I don’t at least see any need for that. It’s just that in Marjamäki we are at the moment seriously having one of the worst coaches that we have ever had for the national team. I knew it and called it already when he started in his job two years ago. Watching every single game that he coached the previous season as Kärpät Liiga coach made me realize that he is not at all as good as a coach as some Finns have believed.

We had in fact a Canadian coach (Doug Shedden) many years ago, but honestly I didn’t like his coaching too much, although it wasn’t bad necessarily (Finland got bronze in WHC that year) but still mostly boring North American style dump and chase hockey that I dislike generally very much.

I think that finnish coaches are left behind in hockey know how. I would gladly take north american coach after Marjamäki.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Thank you, I've been creative lately :cool:.

Here's a new one: Pokka never late bloomed but instead he's Late's bloomer. Hopefully he will bloom in KHL.

And now you REALLY nailed it. Not only that but you also cracked it and I cracked also. :laughing: Great wit! Always a pleasure!

Pokka is indeed Larry's, i.e., Late's bloomer: a loyal and diligent plumber who so very strangely and completely out of the blue turned to a - BLUNDER! Just like that! In one move. Think about that. It shouldn't be possible, too many slips of letter in one word, but then again we are all human, so human and on the top of that, fallible, so, so very fallible. So, it can happen.

AND: It is also noteworthy that Pokka is quite a clever and subtle anagram of a certain inner PAKKO of Larry's to take the guy so named in his teams, without second or critical thoughts. It is noteworthy although I know and am fully aware and ready to admit there is not much worth to be found in mentioning it. Yet, I did.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Wow, Finland is the definition of a jekyll and hyde team, or like two faced lol. They beat Korea, Latvia and Norway with ease, then lose to Denmark..they come back and beat Canada only to lose to Germany the following game. You really don't know what this team is going to do. Crazy.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Which one you didn’t see? WHC championship win in 2011? Or maybe WJC 2016?
Of course we have to count junior wins in adult tournaments holy shit this is funny :D
And 2016 was our best junior team yet. Rarely does coaching stand out as a winning factor in WJC anyways, it's the definition of run&gun hockey.
It's not like Laine Aho or Pulju needed help beating the weaker teams there due to sheer skill gap.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Wonder what would have happened if Finlad had played the 1st period like they did in 3rd... most likely game would have been over by then, but noooo, easy 1st goal and start hovering and making those really crappy passes even without any pressure. I thought they learned their lesson against Denmark. They do have all the tools needed (well, one real centerman would have been nice), but theu need play focused for the whole game. And by the way I'm not saying that Germany is usually a piece of cake, but their body language and playing in the 1st was showing exactly how their tournament has been going. That's why it would have been easy to break them early, but Finlad gave them a chance to gain confidence and get going. Good for them on using it.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Of course we have to count junior wins in adult tournaments holy **** this is funny :D
And 2016 was our best junior team yet. Rarely does coaching stand out as a winning factor in WJC anyways, it's the definition of run&gun hockey.
It's not like Laine Aho or Pulju needed help beating the weaker teams there due to sheer skill gap.
Please stop.. you're just embrassing yourself..

If coaching is such nonfactor, how come Finland finished 7th in 12-13 (U-20)

Reactions: Ippenator and fouba

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Please stop.. you're just embrassing yourself..

If coaching is such nonfactor, how come Finland finished 7th in 12-13 (U-20)
But in 16-17 we had sort of a good team but were dead last in Group A. Why didnt you use that one against me instead? Me thinks Rautakorpi should have been used against me in this situation. Bad tournament coaches get exposed but the line between mediocre and good is not really noticeable due to short tournament lenghts. Also, the North American rink has been our biggest obstacle on the WJC stage. Some of the worst results are from those.

I guess I should have specified that I don't think that coaching is the most essential thing to look at on a WJC winning team since those games are dominated on individual skill more than adult games.

But there should be no argument against the WJC and WHC being completely different stages.
I don't think Jalonen did nearly as much as one would think on that tournament, he was essentially carried by Pula-Aho.
That's not a slight on him. WJC is totally different and the most important thing seems to be generating offense and he got that in spades. He didn't really employ a defensively sound system outside the leading 2 lines (and those broke down at times as well) but junior teams mostly play all-offense games anyways. So no harm done.
He has done well with his defensive system in the WHC though.

Of course you can't say he's bad or something along the lines of that because of that but I don't think it should be a merit of his. Sure, it's a positive for him and gives confidence towards his upcoming job but it shouldnt be used as an argument for him bringing us a gold medal. Use his earlier WHC win for that argument and we're more along the same lines.

He's not a god. He has won 1 bronze and gold in WHC, 1 Olympic bronze and the aforementioned WJC gold in a 8 year window. I think he's overrated to some extent, but that's due to happen because Marjamäki has been on one bad (if not the worst) stretch of coaching.

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Of course we have to count junior wins in adult tournaments holy **** this is funny :D

Run and gun and stun - maybe. But at least Young Lions known as the 2014 Champs were not carved out of that template; rather, it was a win of a system and coaching against these pretty immature run and gun but not stun teams... But yeah, it was a defensive system dictated by necessity plus then those key contributors TT and RR, not to forget HH, that is, Harry Hilarious, I mean Henritus Haapalatus ofc, sorry.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
And now you REALLY nailed it. Not only that but you also cracked it and I cracked also. :laughing: Great wit! Always a pleasure!

Pokka is indeed Larry's, i.e., Late's bloomer: a loyal and diligent plumber who so very strangely and completely out of the blue turned to a - BLUNDER! Just like that! In one move. Think about that. It shouldn't be possible, too many slips of letter in one word, but then again we are all human, so human and on the top of that, fallible, so, so very fallible. So, it can happen.

AND: It is also noteworthy that Pokka is quite a clever and subtle anagram of a certain inner PAKKO of Larry's to take the guy so named in his teams, without second or critical thoughts. It is noteworthy although I know and am fully aware and ready to admit there is not much worth to be found in mentioning it. Yet, I did.

I agree with every word. I also happened to come across with this confusing image. In Russia Pokka becomes Nokka. Is this a sign his career will be as succesful as Kari Jalonen's now that he is going to the KHL?

8KHGI4M.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Loffer

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Wow, Finland is the definition of a jekyll and hyde team, or like two faced lol. They beat Korea, Latvia and Norway with ease, then lose to Denmark..they come back and beat Canada only to lose to Germany the following game. You really don't know what this team is going to do. Crazy.

It was like that in U20 2016 (especially the final) and guess what, Aho, Rantanen and Kapanen all were there. Finland got the gold there so hopefully it's a repeat.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I agree with every word. I also happened to come across with this confusing image. In Russia Pokka becomes Nokka. Is this a sign his career will be as succesful as Kari Jalonen's now that he is going to the KHL?

8KHGI4M.jpg

Either it is a sign of success or then not, that is the nature of signs, they can be anything depending on the circumstances and interpreters, or then nothing at all if not codes waiting to be broken; there is nothing positive in signs though, they are thoroughly cynical, elusive and arbitrary creatures as some Mr. F. de Saussure suggested once over 100 years ago and he surely was onto something deep and fundamental which escapes our clearer grasp like an omen of an oracle. But, in any practical case, this is a sign of a new and fresh (or not so fresh since Russia is not so fresh in my imaginary - but fresh anyway) start in our most friendly and congenial neighbouring country. Let´s hope the best for Pokka´s career there or anywhere. Yes, nothing personal but this is no "social hockey" where anything goes and everybody plays in his bigger or smaller capacity,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad