GDT: Group B - May 11 - USA vs Korea

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Wow. I guess it was "you show up, you are in". Those Canadians are merciless...

I checked out the Wikipedia page for the tournament. Looks like there were no qualifying or lower divisions back then, and Canada was represented by the Sudbury Wolves (which isn't the first time I recall reading about the Canadian "national" team being represented by an existing club team instead of a roster consisting of players selected from various clubs).

If I recall there was some Olympic tournament early on where two club teams claiming to represent "Canada" showed up. I forgot what happened after that.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I checked out the Wikipedia page for the tournament. Looks like there were no qualifying or lower divisions back then, and Canada was represented by the Sudbury Wolves (which isn't the first time I recall reading about the Canadian "national" team being represented by an existing club team instead of a roster consisting of players selected from various clubs).

If I recall there was some Olympic tournament early on where two club teams claiming to represent "Canada" showed up. I forgot what happened after that.

Wow my memory of hockey history sucks. It was the 1948 Olympics and was actually the United States that sent two teams:

Ice hockey at the 1948 Winter Olympics - Wikipedia

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I wonder why The Netherlands don't have a decent team? They sure have some fast skaters. Hand some of them a stick and let them play!

They showed the picture of the Dutch speed-skating superstar Sven Kramer to Canadiens under an Olympics. All the Canadiens where like, "yeah, thats Crosby". So go figure.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
15-20 years ago South Korea was getting stomped by the likes of Japan. Now they are getting stomped but it's by Canada/USA/etc. Clearly still a step or three behind even the 2nd tier teams, but they've proven themselves at the 15-25 range of ranked teams so this is a good lesson for them. Yes this team is still more of a 1A/1B tweener team that had a nice run last year to gain promotion, but they've come a LONG way from where they were. This is their first time in the top division, it's a good lesson. It might be another 10+ years before they are back, but it is something to strive for the program. I think it will likely be more motivating than detrimental.
Bear in mind that they began importing North Americans onto the national team in 2013.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Bear in mind that they began importing North Americans onto the national team in 2013.
And they're all getting older and less motivated. Korea is already the oldest team in the tournament. If it wasn't for Lithuania being in Div1A, they could easily go back to the third tier next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad