Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Spain's issues haven't been so bad that you could say they can't win the World Cup, but they have been notable enough that a much earlier exit certainly doesn't seem out of question either.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Looks like fair play points will be the tiebreaker between Spain and Portugal should they win/draw/lose by identical scores in their final game

Spain currently has 1 less yellow than Portugal so they are group leaders

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm at work so obviously didn't see the match. But just looking at the stats I'm dumbfounded by comments of Iran deserved to draw or win this?

That's why you gotta watch the match to talk about it. Iran had as many chances to score as Spain if not more. Spain naturally dominated possession, but Iran's movement certainly troubled Spain at times in ways you wouldn't have anticipated.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
lols spain wins on a dumb, lucky goal and help from replay againt iran

not looking very good for them going forward
The bad teams are at least very organized and it only takes a bad game in the world cup... Every favorite is sweating to win any game, this is/will be a very difficult world cup to win.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm at work so obviously didn't see the match. But just looking at the stats I'm dumbfounded by comments of Iran deserved to draw or win this?
Your first problem was looking at the stats and not watching the game. Spain didn't deserve 3 points. That is a fact.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
lols spain wins on a dumb, lucky goal and help from replay againt iran

not looking very good for them going forward

Well actually the linesman flagged for offsides live, so the replay only confirmed it. I wouldn't count that against Spain regardless. Iran did make it interesting after going down a goal (and the play right before it too).

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is it bad that I am really pulling for Iran to topple Portugal next Monday?

A win and they're through; obviously it's must-win for Iran so they will bring more offense I would imagine.

Scoring a legit goal of their own is a must if they want to advance...unless we see yet another appearance from Own Goal. :laugh:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's a typical Spain performance. I hate their tactics in games like this, but they have been effective with them.

I will be glad when they are knocked out though.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

A win and they're through; obviously it's must-win for Iran so they will bring more offense I would imagine.

Scoring a legit goal of their own is a must if they want to advance...unless we see yet another appearance from Own Goal. :laugh:

One thing's for sure- if at any point in that game Iran take the lead, the celebrations from their fans will be a sight.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

i am too. it won't happen but like i said before, it's ok to dream right?

that said, they truly deserved a point today. they played great and only lost because of dumb luck

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

I hope Iran win. Portugal got their goal in the third minute today and made very little attempt to do anything after that.

Iran playing backs to the wall for 80 minutes and winning in the last 10 minutes would be a fitting way for Portugal to go out.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
That's why you gotta watch the match to talk about it. Iran had as many chances to score as Spain if not more. Spain naturally dominated possession, but Iran's movement certainly troubled Spain at times in ways you wouldn't have anticipated.
Really? Because it says Iran had 7 shots and 0 on target , while Spain had 18 and 5 on target. So De Gea didn’t even have to make a save so how did Iran have more chances to score? I’ll just have to watch the highlights.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Your first problem was looking at the stats and not watching the game. Spain didn't deserve 3 points. That is a fact.
Except these stats are overwhelming... again I’ll have to watch the highlights but perhaps if Iran was Germany you wouldn’t be saying that? And just saying this because it was a David vs Goliath and Iran held their own ?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Massive LOL at the throw-in attempt.

As for the comment earlier about Spain's defense, that was part of what made them so interesting. Lopetegui had them playing all out Klopp style football. But I will say that the Portugal game didn't matter too much in that regard. They scored a penalty, a goalkeeper error, and a free kick.

Iran can beat Portugal btw. Hungary and Iceland nearly did. The US nearly did even though ultimately we didn't need to.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Iran got the best chances yes. Spain's shots were rarely dangerous.
Iran had a great chance, but the guy shot inches from the post (DDG hadn't moved) they scored a goal on a set play denied by a small offside (which was offside) and then they had a cross where the guy came like a lion to head the ball just over the bar, the whole spanish defense was beaten.
Those three chances happenned in the last 30 minutes and all were golden chances.

OTOH, Spain scored when a defenseman cleared the ball into Diego Costa's leg.

Reactions: Terry Yake

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Really? Because it says Iran had 7 shots and 0 on target , while Spain had 18 and 5 on target. So De Gea didn’t even have to make a save so how did Iran have more chances to score? I’ll just have to watch the highlights.

Header hit just over the bar, volley hit just wide of the post. DDG wasn't stopping either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->