Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
See my post above:

Announces 6 minutes of stoppage time.

Play stops at almost exactly 89 minutes for the possible hand ball. Finally goes to the video screen at 90:40. Takes a minute to make the call. Pen is taken at 92:45 and play doesn't restart until 93:15.

So after 6 minutes is announced there's dead play for 4:15

He blows the final whistle at 97:10

That is on top of how brutally he managed dissent and physical play all game.

Should never get another high profile match.

This happens all the time. If refs actually add on every bit of dead time, they'll add on 11 minutes and catch *a lot* more heat from everyone.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I thought Portugal was embarrassing btw and made Spain vs. Iran look like a masterclass by contrast.

They created absolutely nothing, had their defenders constantly having to make match saving challenges, and the last Iran attack speaks for itself.

Reactions: cgf

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This happens all the time. If refs actually add on every bit of dead time, they'll add on 11 minutes and catch *a lot* more heat from everyone.

Yea it happens a lot, but this was particularly egregious. 6 minutes was a joke to start. When you add the fact that 3 minutes were wasted standing around waiting for the ref to decide if there was a penalty, to blow the final whistle when he did was pathetic.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Ronaldo should have been red carded. The referee looked super uncomfortable making a decision and opted to go to the least controversal decision. Weak PK's as well this game.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Yea it happens a lot, but this was particularly egregious. 6 minutes was a joke to start. When you add the fact that 3 minutes were wasted standing around waiting for the ref to decide if there was a penalty, to blow the final whistle when he did was pathetic.

soccer needs to stop with that nonsense and actually use the clock like in other sports. When the ball is out of bounds or play is stopped for whatever reason...you stop the clock. None of this made up guessing work for stoppage time.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
soccer needs to stop with that nonsense and actually use the clock like in other sports. When the ball is out of bounds or play is stopped for whatever reason...you stop the clock. None of this made up guessing work for stoppage time.

The referee does stop the clock. Not just for the ball going out but for if they think it's time wasting, injuries, substitutions, or whatever. They should absolutely NOT use the clock like other sports as it would lead to countless problems when the clock isn't started properly or stopped on time.

I don't know why you guys keep suggesting rule changes of the game that has grown to its popularity level due to how simple it is.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
The referee does stop the clock. Not just for the ball going out but for if they think it's time wasting, injuries, substitutions, or whatever. They should absolutely NOT use the clock like other sports as it would lead to countless problems when the clock isn't started properly or stopped on time.

I don't know why you guys keep suggesting rule changes of the game that has grown to its popularity level due to how simple it is.

then they should make the clock somehow visible to us as the ref sees it on his watch.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No rule changes needed, just a ref that doesn't get scared and can actually add the proper amount of stoppage time. In this case, he denied Iran at least 3-4 minutes of time they should have had to score a winner and stay in the tournament.

Most cases it results in teams wasting time because they know the ref won't properly account for it. They'll take 45 seconds on a sub, they'll take 20 seconds for a throw in, 25 for a goal kick, etc. and kill the game off. Killing the game off should mean keeping possession, going to the corner, etc. not dicking around with a throw in at half because the ref won't add more time.

Reactions: cgf

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
My god, how crazy would it have been to see Iran top the group. Feel bad for the guy that missed that chance. Ronaldo should've been off, and the ref forgot how to math.

Reactions: illpucks

member 51464

In sports I generally root for the underdog. But Russia is evil, so I'll just hope that game is shit for everyone.

Also, go Uruguay. I was pulling for Portugal, but Ronaldo not getting the red card it seems he deserved pushes me firmly out of their corner.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well, quite honestly Portugal was in charge of the game and other than a few dodgy penalty shouts (I would not have given them any penalties to be honest, Portuguese guy didn't really have time to react and arm position seemed natural enough) and one or two OK chances (the last chance wasn't even a must score one, if the goalkeeper acts properly it's not a high % chance), it's not like Iran really produced a ton. Not that Portugal did all that much either.

Portugal are still what they were in 2016..except 2 years older. But of course we've seen that can be quite dangerous still.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Portugal play such a slow negative game don't they? Such a boring team and I also made the mistake of watching the game featuring the two teams that are possibly the biggest cheats in the tournament. Iran are also quite hot-headed and stupid. Portugal deserves to go through ahead of Iran but wow them tying that game is an embarassment along with the rest of that match.

This ref running to the TV everytime for VAR is ridiculous, we lost at almost 10 minutes of gameplay I'd guess because of it? Just have the VAR people tell him what to do and he has to make this call, why give the ref the power to decide?

Also, that cranky colour commentator on the BBC feed was an ass.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Went from potentially topping the group to nearly being eliminated in a matter of minutes. :help:

I expected this group to be incredibly difficult and it was, probably the most balanced and hard fought in the tournament. I would have fancied Morocco and Iran to make it out of some of the other groups.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That last bit of the Iran/Portugal game was farcical :laugh:

Dear god. I'd rather do away with VAR entirely if it avoids crap like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->