Euro: Group B: England vs. Wales, 6/16/2016

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Russia's pretty bad. They offer nothing in attack. Tied with Northern Ireland as the worst teams in the tournament IMO.

*shrug* The glushakov goal was the result of a pretty attacking movement. It's tough to see a technically limited team like Ireland putting together a passing chain like that.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
The issue with Sterling is that he's completely off form at the moment. He was beyond putrid all year, to have him in there is wishful thinking at best.

Sterling was hot garbage in liverpool during his last year there.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
giphy.gif

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
England are so wasteful and slow in posession, you should be getting far more shots off when you have the ball in their end that much. Dunno if they think they're Spain or something they dont' have the fine intricate passing or off the ball movement to pull it off. Counter the way the Germans did in WC 2010.

Pretty disappointing by Wales to switch off at half-time, never challenged Hart or Cahill/Smalling.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
World Class is a bit of a stretch. He's a great goal scorer and has a lot of talent but he's too selfish to really make the most of his abilities.

:laugh:

Absolutely incredible. So selfish he plays a near perfect ball into the box leading to the first goal when he could have run at the defender or shot instead. He's our best player and also England's best striker.

Still wonder what would happen if they started the game with both Vardy and Sturridge in the lineup and Kane on the bench, but that would take nuts that I don't think Hodgson has. Kane is a great finisher but in a team setup that doesn't need a target forward it seems like a bad fit. Kane and Sturridge also seems like it could be interesting but I'm not sure of the fit there.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Russia's pretty bad. They offer nothing in attack. Tied with Northern Ireland as the worst teams in the tournament IMO.

You're saying like Wales is some great team, they are nothing without Bale. If Russia can contain him it's going to be an easy win like a couple years ago in qualifiers.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
You're saying like Wales is some great team, they are nothing without Bale. If Russia can contain him it's going to be an easy win like a couple years ago in qualifiers.

As opposed to Russia, which is just nothing.

Ramsay is better than any Russian player.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Just watched the game.

England did not play well, but an individual moment of brilliance from Sturridge got them 3 points. Sterling should not be starting, I think Sturridge should be the starting striker with Vardy coming off the bench as a sub. Heartbreaking for Wales.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Yes, just like Slovakia is nothing without Hamsik and if Russia could have contained him, it would have been an easy win

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

That's a very big "if" and is MUCH easier said than done. In large part because of his playing style, Bale is the kind of player who can completely turn a match on its head with a single moment of brilliance.

Just watched the game.

England did not play well, but an individual moment of brilliance from Sturridge got them 3 points. Sterling should not be starting, I think Sturridge should be the starting striker with Vardy coming off the bench as a sub. Heartbreaking for Wales.

I actually disagree, I thought England played very well in the second half. They were just lacking in the final product, which is where more time for the guys like Vardy and Sturridge comes in.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
:laugh:

Absolutely incredible. So selfish he plays a near perfect ball into the box leading to the first goal when he could have run at the defender or shot instead. He's our best player and also England's best striker.

Still wonder what would happen if they started the game with both Vardy and Sturridge in the lineup and Kane on the bench, but that would take nuts that I don't think Hodgson has. Kane is a great finisher but in a team setup that doesn't need a target forward it seems like a bad fit. Kane and Sturridge also seems like it could be interesting but I'm not sure of the fit there.

I can give examples of Ronaldo playing an amazing cross or pass in for players to score. He must not be selfish either. Everyone knows that Sturridge is an extremely selfish player. That's not necessarily a bad thing for the most part since strikers should be selfish though he often takes it to another level. You could make a highlight video longer than his goals and passes though of times where he chooses to shoot or try to take on the entire defence himself from bad positions or bad angles and loses the ball.

That doesn't mean he's not England's best striker though. I just think the extremeness of it is what prevents him from being 'World Class' (though again, kind of a subjective classification).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad