GDT: Group B • April 29 • Switzerland 1, France 0 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
One point lost considering it's France, but after such a terrible performance, I guess it's good to win the game.

Hopefully they'll wake up for the game after Belarus, I'm not travelling to Kosice to see something that looks like amateur hockey :rant:

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Switzerland is terrible, I really hope they get kicked out of the tournament as fast as possible. Simpson is the same loser coach as Krüeger was. Nominating players like Lemm, Gardner, Trachsler, Moser and Furrer is just insane. They suck in the swiss league so does he really expect them to play a role in a international tournament?:shakehead

ExE

Oct 23, 2009
Lausanne
Yea terrible game but at least it's a win and they can only improve their game now at least I hope they will

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
1 point in the bank. We didn't see the true value of this swiss team, I think neither team can be totally satisfied. France played well for 40min, Switzerland for the last 15 and overtime.

Good luck for the rest of the tourney, I hope to see Yannick Weber on the ice soon ;)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Switzerland is terrible, I really hope they get kicked out of the tournament as fast as possible. Simpson is the same loser coach as Krüeger was.

WTF.jpg

One of the most successfull coaches in Europe for 15 years. You can't be serious.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Between the blaming of the Swiss game there must be time to say that France played quite good, they protected Huet very well. And then Switzerland has problems, that is a known problem.

It will be better, I'm sure. :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't really agree on France playing well. They should have created way more opportunities and had trouble on defense the rare time Switzerland put a few pressure on the net. Aslo, they could have destroyed the terrible Swiss penalty killing many times had they been able to make two quick passes.

About Krueger, a lot of people in Switzerland don't understand how great a coach he was during all those years.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
About Krueger, a lot of people in Switzerland don't understand how great a coach he was during all those years.

The revolution eats its own ... father. Number 8 in the world, but that's not enough anymore. Spoiled Swiss. ;)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
People who don't like him usually are the one thinking you can win competitive hockey game by fielding an all star team. The kind of team that could score two more goals in exhibition games against France, and allow five more in tournament games against Russia.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003

i like it though. looks like he's gonna be coach for germany next summer. so thank you for letting him go. :D

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
looks like he's gonna be coach for germany next summer. so thank you for letting him go.

If so: congrats to Germany, you're bound to become the new Number Eight. And with the looming decline of Slovakia, who knows what the pecking order will look like in 2020. The Big 6 - Germany - the Rest?

Manny*

Comment était Stephane Da Costa? Evidemment pas de points, mais comment était son jeu?

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Was it 4 on 4 Overtime or 5 on 5? Would the game ended in a tie if noone scored? Or is there a shootout?

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Was it 4 on 4 Overtime or 5 on 5? Would the game ended in a tie if noone scored? Or is there a shootout?

Overtime is played 4 on 4, if nobody scores then the match goes to a shoot-out. Overtime in the Quarters, Semi-final and Bronze medal match are played with 10 minutes opposed to the usual 5 minutes.

In Quarters, Semi-final and Bronze after the 10 minutes there will be a shoot-out.

In the Gold medal match, its 20 minute sudden death, no shoot-out.

Incase you dont know, the IIHF uses the 3 point system, 3 pts for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss and 0 for regulation loss.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Overtime is played 4 on 4, if nobody scores then the match goes to a shoot-out. Overtime in the Quarters, Semi-final and Bronze medal match are played with 10 minutes opposed to the usual 5 minutes.

In Quarters, Semi-final and Bronze after the 10 minutes there will be a shoot-out.

In the Gold medal match, its 20 minute sudden death, no shoot-out.

Incase you dont know, the IIHF uses the 3 point system, 3 pts for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss and 0 for regulation loss.

Thank You

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
i like it though. looks like he's gonna be coach for germany next summer. so thank you for letting him go. :D

Though he's been great during his time with the Swiss national team, at some point you just can't go on for ever, so I think it's good if we can get some results with Simpson.

Though I must admit I'm a little afraid of Krüger taking over Germany.

Comment était Stephane Da Costa? Evidemment pas de points, mais comment était son jeu?

I didn't notice him much, which surprised me as I've seen him many time at the world championship and he was always a key player for France.

I thought Auvitu, Desrosiers and Meunier were the best French players, apart from Huet of course.

tycho

Sep 4, 2008
I always liked Ralph Krueger and what he has done for Swiss hockey. Would be nice to see him at the WC again.

If so: congrats to Germany, you're bound to become the new Number Eight. And with the looming decline of Slovakia, who knows what the pecking order will look like in 2020. The Big 6 - Germany - the Rest?

In the beginning of the 90's the Swiss team had some success in international tournaments, but generally the 90's were not a very successful decade until 1998 when Krueger arrived. In his first tournament with the Swiss national team he led them to the 4th place in the home tournament of that year. In the following 11 years as national coach the Swiss national team had not once to go to the Relegation Round. In fact, the worst position under his reign was the 9th place (4 times). The last decade was by far the best for the Swiss hockey since the 50's (which can hardly be compared) [1]. He became famous in Switzerland for his motivation tricks (He even wrote books about it and was invited for workshops). In the 2000 World Championships in St. Petersburg, the team had a very mediocre tournament start, only by making points against Russia on their home ice would avoid going to the Relegation Round. On the evening before the showdown, Krueger sent each team member a SMS with the content "Glaube an das Unmögliche und das Unmögliche wird möglich". (Believe in the impossible and the impossible becomes possible). Switzerland won 3-2 against Russia and finished the tournament on the 6th place. From 1998 to 2010, the Swiss won against teams from Russia, Canada and the Czech Republic, filled with NHL superstars and had some very close calls against other top-8 teams.

So, is Krueger a magic man, who can transform any mediocre hockey nation into a medal contender? I don't think so! He gave the the Swiss national team solid, defensive oriented tactics, which allowed them to demoralize superior players in inferior teams and lot of hope and self-confidence. The only thing Swiss hockey didn't need him to give to them was something they already had: A lot of young, talented and hungry players. Krueger was the spark, which allowed them to explode.

He finally had to leave because of several reasons:
  1. Krueger often selected controversial rosters. He always justified them with the statement that he aims to have the best team, which does not necessarily include the best players. But, he started to have more and more personal problems with key players. Either he refused to call them up or they refused to play for him (He had a fallout e.g. with Hollenstein, Jenni, von Arx, Riesen, Jenni again, Forster, Vauclair and as recently revealed Gardner)
  2. The effect of the motivation tricks seemed to fade out. While they seemed to be very effective in the beginning, the results became worse. While it was often possible to upset one or the other big team, these wins were often at a stage in the tournament were it actually didn't help much. Once the Quarter Finals started, an upset seemed to be impossible. The Swiss team didn't play up to it's full potential anymore once the important part of the tournament starts. At the same time he was speaking of medals already in 1998: "Es ist nicht unrealistisch, mit der Schweiz mittelfristig einmal eine WM-Medaille zu gewinnen." (It is not unrealistic to win a World Championship medal in the medium term) [2]. Unfortunately there are no medals to win in Qualifying Round. Clearly, we never even came close. ("Close" means to me: One win away from a medal)
    Let me make this perfectly clear: Nobody in their right mind expects the Swiss team to win medals regularly. What was however expected was that team should once in 10 years time be able to step up when the Quarter Finals begin. Then with a little luck, a good day a team which is ready to play the game of their live it might have been possible. Yet, often the contrary happened. It's is a nice thing to beat Canada and the Czech Republic at the Olympic games in 2006. But if these are the only games you are able to win, it's exactly that: nice. Nothing more.
  3. The defensive style of hockey Krueger let the team play was not exactly attractive. I do not claim the Swiss hockey will now be the most attractive in the world with any other coach, when the Swiss play against top-8 teams the team will also in future be the team which plays more defensive of the two. But I daresay that the pool of talented Swiss players has never been as deep as it is at the moment and I think it is time to try to make a step forward and play more offensive and take greater risks. Of course Switzerland could have continued to play like under Krueger for another 10 years. Maybe it would really have been possible to once have the perfect tournament and win something. But maybe it would have just continued like the last 5 years: A lot of 8th and 9th places with one or the other upset against a big team. I think it was time to try something new. A new coach with new tactics and ideas. Maybe it will make no difference at all in the end and everything will continue for the next years as it has for so many years now. Maybe there will be a new spark allowing the next generation of players to step up and finally come closer to the top-7. If the new ideas lead to one or another trip to Relegation Round (which I really don't hope), then so be it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! And if this change leads to the down fall of the Swiss team and the rise of the German team, we at least know where we stand. We will see.

Lange Rede, gar kein Sinn:
Krueger is no Harry Potter, just a very good motivator and a good coach. He's mere presence does not transform a team to anything. He can however create a team with great spirit, which is able to play at it's best (just not always at the right time) and achieve a turn around in very dire situations ("Das Wunder von St. Petersburg"). This team spirit combined with a solid, defensive oriented system was in my opinion one of the big, not the sole, reasons the Swiss team was able to establish itself in the top-8. The inability to make the next step combined with the problems he seems to have with leader figures in the team, who are, of course, usual highly skilled veterans (didn't make him really popular in the fan base of some clubs or the media) is probably the reason he is not coaching the Swiss anymore. I can however not imagine a better coach for the German national team at the moment and I am most thankful for what he has accomplished in the last 10 years. I wish Ralph Krueger and the German team all the best (well the second best after Switzerland of course :naughty:)!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland_men's_national_ice_hockey_team#World_Championship_record
[2] http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/hockey/WMMedaille-Jetzt-oder-nie/story/17266870

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Though he's been great during his time with the Swiss national team, at some point you just can't go on for ever, so I think it's good if we can get some results with Simpson.

that is true. tycho's post explained it very well. but i'm not sure if switzerland is already ready to play a different game than krueger's defensive first. while it's not hard to see that there's a lot of progress, i think with the current NLA players you won't achieve much. it's the next generation of swiss players that should take the game to another level. so maybe krueger should have stayed for 2-3 more years.

Though I must admit I'm a little afraid of Krüger taking over Germany.

krueger won't be able to repeat with germany what he did for switzerland. he won't get much help from the DEL clubs who will do everything to destroy any progress in german hockey. ;)
i think he can do similar to krupp, but might develop the individual players better which is why i want him over krupp. but like tycho wrote, krueger is no magician. and only a magician could change something in german hockey.

and krueger is not yet confirmed, but all indications are there. so there's a slight chance the german federation takes a cheaper option and gives us a coach to play division 1 in the near future. i have a lot of faith in them. :sarcasm:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Doesn't work... I think I have to be in Swiss to watch it. Is there another place to watch the highlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad