GDT: Group B • Dec. 26 • Russia 3, Canada 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
To me it looked like a typical Canada vs. Russia match we have come used to watching in recent years. Russia looked dangerous off the rush creating chances with quick passing, whereas Canada dominated the Russian players along the boards during the cycle.

Team Canada's strong board play was more of a factor in the result of the game. Russia has yet to develop defenseman and/or a coaching style that are able to contain the Canadian forwards in the Russian defensive zone.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
God..I love Leblanc. It seems as if the puck is glued to his stick cause he always ends up with it along the boards and in the corners.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was mad that I had to stand out side between the early game and the Canadian game. By handling it the way they did, they discouraged people from going to the early game. You had to leave and come back in. If you stayed too long for the first game you were outside for 20+ minutes. Has to be a better way.

They didn't make people go outside during the break between Canada-Russia and USA-Finland... you could just stand around inside by the entrance or go in merchandise store. It was greatly appreciated.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
They didn't make people go outside during the break between Canada-Russia and USA-Finland... you could just stand around inside by the entrance or go in merchandise store. It was greatly appreciated.

If they learned from the experience from the first break, then kudos to them...:handclap:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If they learned from the experience from the first break, then kudos to them...:handclap:

Were they selling Team Canada swag at the game?
Today is the only game that I'm missing and want to pick something up before going if none is available at the HSBC.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I really don't know what more Cowen could have done today. You saw the back of his jersey on one goal because Olsen left him out to dry and he didn't maintain body position on a guy on the PK which is usually one of his strengths. I was kinda surprised about the comments when I dropped in here in the 3rd period, I was happy with his play, apparently so were Bob and Pierre. The Russians had trouble playing around him tonight.

Hes slow footed and slow thinking...to be honest every time ive seen him play over the last 4 years he has left me wanting more...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Cowen was one of the best defensemen in his own zone today.

not sure what game some of you were watching but he was using his long reach effectively and i thought him and Gudbranson were easily Canada's best players in their own zone.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I didn't think Cowen played THAT good. He did have mistakes.

But, those mistakes that I noticed were normally wiped out mere seconds later by him making a very solid play.

If he could minimize the mistakes in the first place, he would be absolute dynamite.

KristoLeblanc*

Will be a good 3rd liner...

Not really. He got the potential to be a top-6 player. You are talking thru your hat. He's got sick hands. I'm following him since Midget AAA and he always showed the potential to be a gifted offensive player.

But you are obviously hating if you think he is a 3rd liner potential.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, seriously I'm an American and Cowen was easily the best blueliner in the D zone today. Idk what some of you are talking about. I'd love to hear some opinions about who was better, I need a good laugh.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was at the game today. About 300 empty seats but other then that the joint was jumpin. Canada was the better team for the first 40 minutes but sloppy. Their passes missed and they were NOT blocking shots.

They were GREAT during the final 20 minutes.

A lot of negative posts. Given the fact that I was THERE and had a bird's eye view, I don't understand the pessimism.

If this team uses this as a launching point and gets better, they will win Gold.

American look AWFUL and the place is dead/empty.

Why not give credit to the opponents today? IMO, it's arrogant to suggest our own futility is what led to Russia and Finland being right there deep ino the game. Both Canada and the U.S. did enough to win but has some things to work on.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Why not give credit to the opponents today? IMO, it's arrogant to suggest our own futility is what led to Russia and Finland being right there deep ino the game. Both Canada and the U.S. did enough to win but has some things to work on.

Fair enough. :)

flames123

Oct 21, 2009
Kelowna
Hes slow footed and slow thinking...to be honest every time ive seen him play over the last 4 years he has left me wanting more...

Lacks mobility and that is a huge minus when applied to the NHL game. Was very good today but I really expected more from a high draft like him.

Parise09*

Schenn was absolutely horrendous even though he did get a couple points. He's a vet on this team and he needs to sharpen up his play.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I noticed a few of the Canadian players kept trying to make fancy plays and passes, which the Russians easily broke up, instead of keeping it simple.

You just can't out-finesse a Russian team. That is their bread and butter.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Yeah, seriously I'm an American and Cowen was easily the best blueliner in the D zone today. Idk what some of you are talking about. I'd love to hear some opinions about who was better, I need a good laugh.

Ellis.........he was Canada's best dman by far.

Gudbranson was solid. Barrie as well.

Cowen wasn't bad, but I expected more from him. Renegade Stylings mentioned this and he is right, Cowen was caught a couple times but recovered nicely. I remember a couple plays where a Russian player dangled around him but Cowen recovered. One instance he was outmuscled by a Russian player but stayed with it and him and his d partner gained possesion behind the net.

I just want more from him. I really thought he was going to be this teams version of Marc Staal, L. Schenn, Shea Weber, T. Hamonic. Just a dominating physical blueliner who could neutralize the opposition with ease.

He might still be......I guess we will find out soon enough

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Russia didn't play their best game absolutely. First line looked very good, Tarasenko is the real deal, Sobchenko is a very good player and Kitsyn is big and can score although with the national team he didn't show much technique as he usually does in the KHL. The second line isn't really clicking, I think bragin should shuffle them a bit. We miss Burmistrov, damn. At this point I'd use Namestnikov as second line center, that line lacks playmaking.
Orlov was great I read? Yeah he looked great with the puck on the powerplay with the nearest opposition player at about 20 feet, other than that IMHO he didn't play well

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I really question what game you guys are watching. The score could easily have been 10-3 had Canada converted on some chances.

Re:Schenn, just look at the time with the puck & the space he creates, nobody on either team was close. Russia gave him the shot mostly and he took them. Obviously needs to work on that aspect, its the weak part of his overall game. Told you the haters would come out. WHo was that goof poster that denied it the other day?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I really question what game you guys are watching. The score could easily have been 10-3 had Canada converted on some chances.

Re:Schenn, just look at the time with the puck & the space he creates, nobody on either team was close. Russia gave him the shot mostly and he took them. Obviously needs to work on that aspect, its the weak part of his overall game. Told you the haters would come out. WHo was that goof poster that denied it the other day?

Yeah I don't know why there is all this, Schenn is shooting from everywhere talk. He had 5 shots on goal and 2 were goals. Two other players took 7 shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad