Euro: Group A: Romania vs. Switzerland, 6/15/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Romania

Goalkeepers: Ciprian Tatarusanu (Fiorentina), Costel Pantilimon (Watford), Silviu Lung (Astra Giurgiu)

Defenders: Cristian Sapunaru (Pandurii Targu Jiu), Alexandru Matel (Dinamo Zagreb), Vlad Chiriches (Napoli), Valerica Gaman (Astra Giurgiu), Dragos Grigore (Al-Sailiya), Cosmin Moti (Ludogorets Razgrad), Razvan Rat (Rayo Vallecano), Steliano Filip (Dinamo Bucharest)

Midfielders: Mihai Pintilii (Steaua Bucharest), Ovidiu Hoban (Hapoel Be'er Sheva), Andrei Prepelita (Ludogorets Razgrad), Adrian Popa (Steaua Bucharest), Gabriel Torje (Osmanlispor), Alexandru Chipciu (Steaua Bucharest), Nicolae Stanciu (Steaua Bucharest), Lucian Sanmartean (Al Ittihad)

Forwards: Claudiu Keseru (Ludogorets Razgrad), Bogdan Stancu (Genclerbirligi), Florin Andone (Cordoba), Denis Alibec (Astra Giurgiu)

Switzerland

Goalkeepers: Yann Sommer (Borussia Monchengladbach), Roman Burki (Borussia Dortmund), Marwin Hitz (Augsburg)

Defenders: Stephan Lichtsteiner (Juventus), Nico Elvedi (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Lang (Basel), Johan Djourou (Hamburg), Steve von Bergen (Young Boys), Fabian Schar (Hoffenheim), Francois Moubandje (Toulouse), Ricardo Rodriguez (Wolfsburg)

Midfielders: Valon Behrami (Watford), Blerim Dzemaili (Genoa), Gelson Fernandes (Rennes), Fabian Frei (Mainz), Granit Xhaka (Arsenal), Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City), Denis Zakaria (Young Boys)

Forwards: Breel Embolo (Basel), Haris Seferovic (Eintracht Frankfurt), Admir Mehmedi (Bayer Leverkusen), Eren Derdiyok (Kasimpasa), Shani Tarashaj (Everton)

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I wouldn't expect more than two goals from this one and a win by Romania won't be surprising.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Romania played well against France, and I felt the Swiss were lucky against Albania. Sommer bailed them out a few times.

1-0 to Romania I say.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
For all their talent, Switzerland have been somewhere between "meh" and "pretty bad" for months now. They're quite vulnerable defensively and I don't think they are the favourites going into the game.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
So far this is a really entertaining game. Switzerland is clearly the better team, but Romania scored on a penalty for holding the player (which was a very stupid action from Lichtsteiner).

Gruß,
BSHH

XO

Nov 4, 2009
If only Switzerland actually had a decent striker. Seferovic and Derdiyok is two of the most ineffective strikers ever.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sucks to see Swiss losing... They play better football and could cause an upset later in the tourney. Hope they recover

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Who gets second place if Romania wins 1-0 against Albania and the Swiss lose 2-1 against France?

Since head to head, goal difference, goals for would be tied, both in between the two teams and the group it would go to the Fair Play Conduct points. Romania has had more cards than the Swiss thus far, so they'd have the advantage there.

Interesting note. If the Romania/Swiss game game was the last game of the group round (and ended up in a draw like it did) the tiebreaker before Fair Play would be a PK shootout.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Since head to head, goal difference, goals for would be tied, both in between the two teams and the group it would go to the Fair Play Conduct points. Romania has had more cards than the Swiss thus far, so they'd have the advantage there.

Interesting note. If the Romania/Swiss game game was the last game of the group round (and ended up in a draw like it did) the tiebreaker before Fair Play would be a PK shootout.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for clarifying.

I can actually see this scenario happening to be honest. Romania seems to have only one goal in them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nice strike by Mehmedi. The majority of the time I watch the Swiss he seems to score.

He's their best attacker until Embolo passes him. He's criminally under-rated by their NT and Leverkusen.

I'm still bumped BMG got stuck with Drmic instead of him last summer; he's so crafty.

Anyway, the Swiss need to show more courage with their youth and start Elvedi next to Schar, and Embolo with Mehmedi up front. Djourou & Seferovic/Derdiyok should not be first choice starters for them.

Shaqiri is so overrated

But he looks like mini-Hulk and is a lot dumber than the buff Brazilian!

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Missed the game due to work and watched it on ESPN3 at night and couldn't get through 70 minutes with the bad commentary and boring game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->