GDT: Group A - May 21 - Finland vs Germany

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Sad to see the Finnish team unable to finish (no pun intended) on their chances and Kakko not scoring, best player on our team but he can't do it all by himself. Kaski doing his best impression of Charlie Huddy, awful. Here's to hoping they can pull their game together by Thursday but it does not look too promising.

Not sure what was said but it's also kinda fun to see the Kakko HF fanboys foaming at the mouth again, apparently he can't be criticised.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
To be fair, Finlands NHL-depth isnt that great just yet (it's getting better), and a lot of their key pleyers are either going through contract talks, injured or weren't allowed to go. Or am I totally wrong here?

NHL-AHL: Lehkonen, Armia, Kotkaniemi, Laine, Aho, Teräväinen, Lindell, Heiskanen, Rinne, Saros, Rask, Kähkönen, Välimäki, Niku, Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Vaakanainen, Mäenalanen, Saarela, Kuokkanen, Koivula, Barkov, Borgström, Ristolainen, Rantanen, Nutivaara, Hintz, Granlund brothers, Filppula, Vatanen, Kapanen, Kuokkanen, Saarijärvi, Salomäki, Tuulola, Haula etc.

I would say it´s deeper than ever.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not just my opinion, scouts think the same thing.
Thought the same thing, you mean. We don't know what they think at the moment.

So Kaski had 3 shots on goal. Kept shooting every chance he got and managed to get 3 through. Fantastic.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
To be fair the only reason you guys lost was because Russia/Soviet had 10x the manpower and in the end only the weather saved them. A hockey game has an equal amount of players on a neutral playing field. Russia should be afraid.
We already changed our conscription laws and we had 4 research slots.
Next time we will try something else :D

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
So no one knows who Finland plays vs if Sweden beats Russia in regulation?
Yes, and that's because it's stupid to draw such conclusions based on 3 matches.
wow... just wow... I'm not going to do it, but I'd love to go back and find your posts in the Hughes threads that WERE LITERALLY BASED ON 3 GAMES :laugh:

Congrats Germany!

Reactions: tuozzi

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
To be fair, Finlands NHL-depth isnt that great just yet (it's getting better), and a lot of their key pleyers are either going through contract talks, injured or weren't allowed to go. Or am I totally wrong here?

You're not wrong at all. Finland had 7 NHLers last year even though in March and April people were going on about how no one wants to play for a terrible coach like Marjamäki.

None of the players on Finland's 2019 roster finished the season in the NHL, but right now I see that as a total anomaly, and I won't change my mind until the rosters in upcoming tournaments prove me wrong. I believe Finland will have plenty of quality NHLers at the IIHF worlds going forward. I especially hope they get a lot of NHL stars in 2022 when the event is held here in my hometown.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
If Russia takes any points, Sweden will be third. If Sweden wins Russia in regulation by +2 or +1, they'll be third. If Sweden wins Russia 3-0 or 4-1, Russia will drop to third. If Russia scores at least two and Sweden wins by +3 or more, then the Czechs will be in the third place.

So Sweden is the most likely opponent for Finland.

Ah yes, you are right. Even if Sweden wins with +1 or +2 goal difference the would stay behind the Czechs because they lost against them with 5-2 and Russia had still a positive goal difference.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Sure. Switzerland is 15/1 to win gold. Sweden is somewhere around 3/1 or 4/1. "About same level".
What are you talking about, if odds always projected exact results we would be sooo rich. Reality is Switzerland was one goal from winning against Czech Republic and Sweden and played good match vs Russia. Sweden is back to back reigning champion and they are stacked, but that doesn’t mean those 3 are not about as good play-wise. Period.

Every QF will be difficult for everyone and Finland could beat but also lose pretty much everyone. If Germany ends up 4th, they will only easier opponent for Russia.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Ah yes, you are right. Even if Sweden wins with +1 or +2 goal difference the would stay behind the Czechs because they lost against them with 5-2 and Russia had still a positive goal difference.
D7D124CD-9DE5-442B-B1E5-3A43F4B113F6.jpeg

Reactions: Stubu and Mestaruus

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
What are you talking about, if odds always projected exact results we would be sooo rich.

How on Earth would you get rich by betting if the odds were always right? It's exactly the opposite. If the odds were always right, there wouldn't be money to be made for bettors with skill.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
That's not correct as many have pointed out. Especially, when there is a lack of talent, the last thing you want to do is to close the door this way
There wasn't anyone coming. That was confirmed. It is a matter of preference if you would've taken Heponiemi or Kupari. They weren't locks anyway.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
How on Earth would you get rich by betting if the odds were always right? It's exactly the opposite. If the odds were always right, there wouldn't be money to be made for bettors with skill.
If odds for Russia are for example 2.2 and we were living in world favourites always win, you can put your house on it.

The rest of my post stands as it is, but the fact you probably s*at yourself when you imagined you will play Sweden (for no reason by the way) blackouts your brain.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
If odds for Russia are for example 2.2 and we were living in world favourites always win, you can put your house on it.

You clearly have no idea of how odds work. If Sweden is playing Finland for instance and the odds are 1/2 for Sweden and 2/1 for Finland, that doesn't mean Sweden will win. It means Sweden has about a 67 percent chance and Finland has about a 33 percent chance.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
From what I have seen Finnish would not be that big problem if anybody outside Kakko and Manninen (maybe Rajala) generated any offensive threat, I know Finland plays those los scoring games, I just feel when any of F outside those 3 touches puck, there is very little danger it can go to opponents net.

Reactions: Stubu

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
You clearly have no idea of how odds work. If Sweden is playing Finland for instance and the odds are 1/2 for Sweden and 2/1 for Finland, that doesn't mean Sweden will win. It means Sweden has about a 67 percent chance and Finland has about a 33 percent chance.

According to bookmakers, but is it like that in reality when there are other factors influencing final result? I dont think so.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
A bit of a surprise but very well done by Germany, they could have laid down to die for the rest of the tournament after the Canada game but didn't.

Good stuff!!

Why? That's not our style. :D
Already love the idea that top6-nations will underestimate us in the QFs.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
To be fair the only reason you guys lost was because Russia/Soviet had 10x the manpower and in the end only the weather saved them. A hockey game has an equal amount of players on a neutral playing field. Russia should be afraid.

Well the German Reich had a population of 80 mill. 1939. Sovietunion had 108 mill. The Soviet army had over 12 mill. soldiers. Germany had near 10 mill. soldiers. The difference was not that big. But the German Reich had to fight on many fronts.

Reactions: Casanova

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad