Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
USA vs. Russia

giphy.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll eat crow, I said earlier USA is better at offense and defense... I was wrong, Canada is better at every position... not a good performance from our neighbours

Murray covered up the mistakes we did make.

Goaltending was huge in this one, but I still feel like Canada did bend now and then but never broke.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Player of the game for team U.S.A

If I compare him to the rest except few exceptions, he was fine :)
Still I think it’s not biggest confidence booster to have him in the back as he very rarely catches something “extra”

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If I compare him to the rest except few exceptions, he was fine :)
Still I think it’s not biggest confidence booster to have him in the back as he very rarely catches something “extra”
Russia up next, tough challenge. Every game is hard for any team now though, good luck.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
My pre-tournament final prediction was "Russia vs USA... unless they face each other earlier".

Well, looks like it's much earlier. Disappointed by the US (so far).

Reactions: NinjaKick

DrCanuck

May 16, 2019
Great team effort from Canada whereas the Americans seemed to be trying to do too much as individuals. One great thing about a tournament like this is the play of guys like Mantha and Dubois who fly under the radar in the regular NHL season for a casual fan like me. Kyle Turris had by far his best game. I realize he had a season to forget for the Preds but he answered the call to play for his country when so many didn't.... Our guys will have to play just as well against the Swiss who have had out number lately....

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Great team effort from Canada whereas the Americans seemed to be trying to do too much as individuals. One great thing about a tournament like this is the play of guys like Mantha and Dubois who fly under the radar in the regular NHL season for a casual fan like me. Kyle Turris had by far his best game. I realize he had a season to forget for the Preds but he answered the call to play for his country when so many didn't.... Our guys will have to play just as well against the Swiss who have had out number lately....

It's sad really. Too many times in this tournament we've looked like the kind of team we like to scoff at: one that thinks it can win on talent alone but doesn't have enough talent to do so.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Murray has been something else this tournament, I never paid attention to him before but he's completely solid

That's the problem with all the criticism Murray gets. Most folks don't actually watch him play that closely and just see the leaky Pens defense giving up 3 or 4 goals every game and assume it's due to bad goaltending.

The other thing with Murray is he's more of a positional goalie, so he's rarely going to make the "highlight reel saves" which land goalies on Sportscenter. He'll just go out there and play well positionally, which then leads people to incorrectly believe he's not elite because he's not making these flashy saves.

The funny thing is Murray's numbers, even on a terrible Pens' defense, were quite good this year. He was like 8th or so in the entire league in save percentage among goalies who qualified as starters (40+ starts). He was ahead of guys who are considered "elite", yet all we heard was how bad he is.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Severson/Nurse pairing will struggle heavily this game imo.

Severson was real bad against Finland and Nurse isn't the kind of player to elevate or cover for his partner

I missed the game, but obviously see the final score 3-0 for Canada. How did the Nurse/Severson pairing turn out in this game? Better than you expected? Or was Murray just standing on his head at times.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I missed the game, but obviously see the final score 3-0 for Canada. How did the Nurse/Severson pairing turn out in this game? Better than you expected? Or was Murray just standing on his head at times.
Wasn't able to watch in the end sadly. Canada controlled the play from the looks of it.

DrCanuck

May 16, 2019
The whole team played well including Nurse and Severson but Severson in particular scares me behind our blueline. Nurse is good at rushing the puck but against the strongest teams that will leave us vulnerable if he turns it over.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Re: Americans
Spent too much time on the perimeter, esp on the pp. US, for a talented group, need to play with more passion and desperation. Canada has been a big big surprise, considering all of the players who've turned down an invite.
Russia's tourney to lose, but they are due for a bad one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad