GDT: Group A - May 20 - France vs Great Britain

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
There had a to be some sort of tv or streaming service deal in place as the live games on IIHF's Youtube channel were blocked in UK.
I imagine Premier Sports had the rights. But about 3 people in the UK subscribe to that service

Premier Sports sister channel Freesports have the rights for the tournament. It's available on every TV service. Freesports show the Elite League and had the rights to 1A last year and this year as well.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Is that some well known British chant or are they singing "we're the s#!t"? That has a different meaning in English and it pretty much means "best".

Standard self deprecating chant in the stands at football matches for fans of teams on the end of yet another beating. See also "we lose every week, we lose every week, you're nothing special, we lose every week.' When the bad team is actually winning replace the third line with" how sh1t must you be".

Reactions: Past Considerations

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
French players and fans were allegedly quite hostile towards GB fans last night unfortunately. Heard the same stuff from about 5 different people.

Yep. I talked to the Cardiff supporters who flew back into Bristol today and they said the French supporters started acting up and the Fin supporters (who had the largest fan base in kosice) stepped to them and told them to calm down

Reactions: mattihp

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Super cool to see GB stay up, absolutely amazing for the sport. Possibly living there next year so I'm going to have to dive in to British club soccer and I guess the national team a little

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
without getting too political or historical

the fact team GB stays up at the expense of the the French makes it all the better

GB fans were singing Waterloo to the French fans in Kosice

and here is my observation

Team GB fans were out in force for the entire tournament and out numbers many other supporters is Kosice

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
There's a lot of British people who don't like the French and I bet there's an equal amount of French who don't like the British either.
I don't think so. French don't really care about the Brits in general...
But I wasn't referring to the fans or the chants , which I thought were gentle teasing. But to the poster who seems to actually have a grudge against France, since he spent dozens of post wishing for them to get relegated etc.
Anyway case closed for me.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I don't think so. French don't really care about the Brits in general...
But I wasn't referring to the fans or the chants , which I thought were gentle teasing. But to the poster who seems to actually have a grudge against France, since he spent dozens of post wishing for them to get relegated etc.
Anyway case closed for me.

I don't have anything against France but in this case with hockey it was us or them so I was also hoping for France to be relegated.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Yep, and I'm pretty sure having 1500+ fans British fans helped the team.
I saw only 4-5 french flags in the stands. Maybe 12-30 people at best, and I never met them, so it could just be some players' families... :(
Any chance France hosts 1A next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad