World Cup: Group A: Egypt vs. Saudi Arabia, Uruguay vs. Russia 6/25/2018

Who finishes first?

• Total voters

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I think it's good for Russia to face a strong team before the round of 16 to see where they stand, make adjustments, get the starting players back. Rest up for the round of 16. Couldn't ask for a better situation than this for a team with a low ranking

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I’m delighted the Saudis won. Hopefully this spares the players from being “punished” which is what was reported after game 1.

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
Bull****. Russia keep giving away fouls because Uruguay are faster and more skilled. The turnovers are coming because of Uruguay's superior pressing and counter-attack. Coming back down to reality when they're now facing a top team.
Have to disagree) Uruguay is not more a top team than Russia. Just a sloppy game from Russia today.
Akinfeev, Ignashevich, Golovin, Dzagoev, Smolov are not worse than Godin, Gimenez, Betancourt, Cavani, Suarez (at least this season). Russia is a sixth best league in Europe, not far behind France, with not that many foreign players in it. Of course, level of football in Uruguay is impressive, considering the population of that country, but please don't underestimate Russia:)
BTW Saudi Arabia also is not better than Egypt in football, despite the result of the game.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Have to disagree) Uruguay is not more a top team than Russia. Just a sloppy game from Russia today.
Akinfeev, Ignashevich, Golovin, Dzagoev, Smolov are not worse than Godin, Gimenez, Betancourt, Cavani, Suarez (at least this season).
Russia is a sixth best league in Europe, not far behind France, with not that many foreign players in it. Of course, level of football in Uruguay is impressive, considering the population of that country, but please don't underestimate Russia:)
BTW Saudi Arabia also is not better than Egypt in football, despite the result of the game.

:laugh:

Not going to bother.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Akinfeev, Ignashevich, Golovin, Dzagoev, Smolov are not worse than Godin, Gimenez, Betancourt, Cavani, Suarez (at least this season). Russia is a sixth best league in Europe, not far behind France, with not that many foreign players in it. Of course, level of football in Uruguay is impressive, considering the population of that country, but please don't underestimate Russia:)
Please. You are making a fool out of yourself. This Russia is no match for Uruguay.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf, Rob and Jussi

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
Come on, man... I know we all enjoyed the latest Russia's success, but let's not get carried away. I am the minority among Russian fans, but I did really expect Cherchesov to do well, and he has not disappointed. But we are still far away from nations like Uruguay. Are we 70th ranked team? Absolutely not. But we are not sniffing top 20 either, at least for a year...

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Solid teams like Uruguay look better by each game. I expect Brazil to get better as well.

Uruguay looked much better in this 3-5-2. Laxalt and Nandez should be starting every game. Uruguay vs Portugal would be a fun matchup.

Btw I wasn’t too impressed with Bentancur. Lost the ball too often and made some bad passes.

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
Please. You are making a fool out of yourself. This Russia is no match to Uruguay.
I'm a big fan of South American football, following copa libertadores since 80s. Believe me Uruguay not producing good players in bunches. They have good generation sometimes and then not so good.. This World Cup is more like the latter. Suarez and Cavani are very good players, but being a 31 old is not a best age for forwards. Pretty sure, I'm quite accurate in my assessments this year Uruguay team is almost equal to Russia. It doesn't mean much, but that's how I see it))
Don't see it as 2 first games of Russia were fluke and now they met "real team" and showed the "real level". It's far from that. Also Russian players are undeservadly underastimated by general football public (even in Russia), because they are in some kind of isalation from Big5 championships and big football media by crazy salaries in domestic league. Still I've seen many good games from different Russian teams: Euro2008, U19 EC2015, wins over big european clubs every season and know for sure that top RU players are good enough to be compared with this year Uruguay team.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

Beats Saudi Arabia and Egypt....thinks they're on par with Uruguay.

What?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad