GDT: Group A • May 1 • Slovakia 3, Germany 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
If im not wrong it was called something ealse a looong time ago. But today Germany is Saksa.

Finnish has changed a lot in the last houndred years. There is a finnish language "ministery" that monitors the language all the time and allow new words mainly some slang words as proper finnish. The mothertung education is fairly high quality in here and its pretty much the only way to keep such a small language alive. Its also a fairly complycated language to learn especially for foreigners.

oh i know, it's really a tough language and not similar to anything i understand. i was just noticing that they use the old saxons for germany.

i like how the commentators enjoyed the game. they seemed to be interested in the game. if you watch a game on german tv without germany the commentators sound pretty bored.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
yeah, but germany is not only where the saxons lived. it's a lot bigger. so the name is a bit off. ;)

But isn't that true for other countries as well?

For some we are Germans, for other Saxons, Teutons or Alemanni.
It's fascinating really.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
oh i know, it's really a tough language and not similar to anything i understand. i was just noticing that they use the old saxons for germany.

i like how the commentators enjoyed the game. they seemed to be interested in the game. if you watch a game on german tv without germany the commentators sound pretty bored.

Yeah he is Mertaranta and he is one of the few commentators that can create a speacial atmosphere and excitment in the game, he is kind of a legend. Too bad this the last year for him cos Mtv3 got the rights from Yle for the coming seasons.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
yeah, but germany is not only where the saxons lived. it's a lot bigger. so the name is a bit off. ;)

Most nations use the name of the tribe they had most knowledge of in old times... For the finns it would be the Saxons, for the french (the spaniards borrowed it from them) it would be the alemanns who lived close to eastern france etc.

Latex*

It's the same thing the other way around. There's a lot different tribes in this country just the way it is in Germany, only difference being, that we Finns differ from each other more genetically than you.

Finland used to be a name only for Varsinais-Suomi a small southwestern part of this country.

Last edited by a moderator:

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
Gaborik and Halak are the biggest disappointment for me (according to both matches they played)
I see nothing wrong about Halak's performance. Those shots were just perfect, close to goalpost.

Gaborik has brouht his bad scoring mojo from NHL. Maybe he should not try so hard.
He was not playing bad yesterday. Except power plays, I really dont feel safe when he is on blue line.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Biggest upset so far IMO. Yes, Slovakia without Chára, ViÅ¡ňovský, MeszároÅ¡ and Sekera, but the Forwards are all there: Hossa, Demitra, Gáborík, Stümpel, HandzuÅ¡, Å atan, Radivojevič ... pretty much the Olympic line-up. It doesn't get any better than this.
Russia on the other hand: No Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Syomin, Malkin. Sweden: No Sedins, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Bäckström, Franzen.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Biggest upset so far IMO. Yes, Slovakia without Chára, Višňovský, Meszároš and Sekera, but the Forwards are all there: Hossa, Demitra, Gáborík, Stümpel, Handzuš, Šatan, Radivojevič ... pretty much the Olympic line-up. It doesn't get any better than this.
Russia on the other hand: No Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Syomin, Malkin. Sweden: No Sedins, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Bäckström, Franzen.

Well, problem of team SVK is we are missing skilled D-men exactly...4 goals against in 20 minutes is just too much.

Bobeez

Mar 5, 2007
Hamburg
Germany without Ehrhoff, Seidenberg, Schubert, Sulzer, Sturm, Goc or Hecht, it's not like we're playing with our best players. Stop crying ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->