GDT: Group A • Dec. 30 • Switzerland 6, Slovakia 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyke*

Walser scores for Switzerland 5-4

If Slovakia loses to Switzerland in regulation, no matter what happens, they're in the relegation round.

U.S.A has 5 points
Switzerland has 3 + x (if X = regulation win, then 3 + (3) = 6)
Slovakia has 2 + y (if y = regulation loss, then 2 + (0) = 2).

Even if Slovakia beat Finland in Regulation (+3) and U.S.A lost in regulation to both Germany and Switzerland (+0), U.S.A would win the first tie-break (head to head).

Pyke*

:laugh:

6-4 says iihf.com

so congrats switzerland! :handclap:

Switzerland can finish no worse than 3rd in Pool A.

Slovakia can finish no better than 4th in Pool A.

Congrats to Switzerland, two years in a row in the Medal Round.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Swiss:handclap:

2 years in a row in the medal round:yo:

Now that the pressure to make the medal round is off, hopefully they can come out against USA strong, and maybe get 2nd place in their group with a win(or first if Finland loss to Slovakia).:)

Pyke*

Swiss:handclap:

2 years in a row in the medal round:yo:

Now that the pressure to make the medal round is off, hopefully they can come out against USA strong, and maybe get 2nd place in their group with a win(or first if Finland loss to Slovakia).:)

If Finland loses to Slovakia - it would be awesome for the Swiss to come first. The odds of it happening are pretty small, but it's their only real shot at a medal; since while they might be able to upset one of the big teams (Russia/U.S.A./Sweden/Canada) I don't see them doing it twice in the medal round, and if they need to win a QF then SF or Bronze game; I just don't see it happening.

justanotherfan

Mar 24, 2007
Thought it was a pretty even game eventhough whenever the game was on the line the Swiss looked like they wanted it more and had more fuel left at the end.

The Slovak forwards looked a lot faster than the rather slow Swiss defense and basically got all their goals after rushes (two of them nicely set up by Vandas).

Panik had his flashes of brilliance as did Hofmann, Bartschi and Nino on the Swiss side. The Swiss should have put the game away early in the third but failed to do so on several good occasions.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Finland loses to Slovakia - it would be awesome for the Swiss to come first. The odds of it happening are pretty small, but it's their only real shot at a medal; since while they might be able to upset one of the big teams (Russia/U.S.A./Sweden/Canada) I don't see them doing it twice in the medal round, and if they need to win a QF then SF or Bronze game; I just don't see it happening.

Well if it could ever happen that Finland finishes 1st, USA 2nd, and the Swiss 3rd then that wouldn't be that awful, they'd have to upset Sweden/Canada in the quarters but then they'd get Finland so that would make it easier, but I think for that to happen the US can't get full points against Germany tonight, or the Swiss would have to beat the US.

Also if the Czechs somehow managed to knock off the Russians and the Swiss finished 2nd they'd have a shot against them I think.

It's not totally impossible for the Swiss to medal through the quarters, but it would help big time for the to finish 1st and get the bye(although I really don't see that happening) I'm just trying to be hopeful, the Swiss are my 2nd favorite team here:)

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Good to see Swiss win but by the looks of it doesn't look like Conz played well. Any highlights?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Conz played awful, at least for what he could. Looked very shaky, and at 3 goals were quite soft. On the other hand he still had a few big-saves, he showed his potential from time to time, but not enough.

I'm very impressed by Bärtschi and Hofmann. Niederreiter has the wrong linemates in my opinion, there is just no chemistry between those 3. And on the defence I see just no one who could ever come near to the NHL some day. Loeffel was very bad, very dissapointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->