GDT: Group A • Dec. 27 • Slovakia 2, Germany 1 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
nah, otherwise they would know how to shoot. :sarcasm:

germany's goalscoring abilities are a joke year by year. :shakehead

I think their offense is better than the last time they were in the top division. With Kuehnhackl, Rieder, Hofflin, Braun, Noebels and Abeltshauser they should be able to do some damage offensively. I swear in 2009 the only player that produced offensively was Jerome Flaake.

BTW, did Elsner get cut? I would have thought he'd be on the team, especially when Keil made it..

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
hrivik wins it.

2 points makes it tough for slovakia to challenge for a playoff spot.

the word*

I really wanted to watch this game. Sounds like it was a good one.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
never read any confirmation, but he's at home playing for landshut. so i guess he was cut.

I thought he was loaned to Ingolstadt, and that's why he went back?

Two great performances in goal. Grubauer with 35 saves, Riecicky with 46 in a winning effort. :eek: Looking forward to seeing the Slovaks play at some point.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
hrivik wins it.

2 points makes it tough for slovakia to challenge for a playoff spot.

OK but from my point of view next games they can play without fear of losing. Cause likely they won't be last in the group. If they won't make it to the playoffs they got some points. That's good.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
I thought he was loaned to Ingolstadt, and that's why he went back?

he didn't play a single game for ingolstadt yet. the loan is for all season and was agreed on in summer. it basically means he can play for both teams. but so far he only played for landshut in 2nd-tier and their youth team.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
OK but from my point of view next games they can play without fear of losing. Cause likely they won't be last in the group. If they won't make it to the playoffs they got some points. That's good.

the game against the 5 team in your group is supposed to be the guaranteed win. If slovakia had done that, they just have to upset one of the top 3 teams in the group (and it's not hard to imagine slovakia beating sui or fin), and they probably make the playoffs. With just 2 points, they need to win one of their next games and get at least a point out of another to have a chance.

What's worse is looking at the relegation round. The question that comes to mind is: What if germany beats czech republic? If that happens, cze vs slovakia could turn into a battle to stay in the championship.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
the game against the 5 team in your group is supposed to be the guaranteed win. If slovakia had done that, they just have to upset one of the top 3 teams in the group (and it's not hard to imagine slovakia beating sui or fin), and they probably make the playoffs. With just 2 points, they need to win one of their next games and get at least a point out of another to have a chance.

What's worse is looking at the relegation round. The question that comes to mind is: What if germany beats czech republic? If that happens, cze vs slovakia could turn into a battle to stay in the championship.

if they beat SUI they have 5 points(assuming they lose to USA and FIN), and SUI has 3, so if slovakia beats SUI, then SUI needs to beat either USA and Finland for Slovakia not to make it. I don`t see how Slovakia losing 1 point in this game means they have to beat a game and get a point in another

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia

Sorry, but that's not true. Imagine. E.G.: SVK has got 2, SUI has 3 and Slovaks play the last game against Swiss. If SUI and SVK will loose the games against FIN and USA then it is enough for the Slovaks to beat Swiss.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
if they beat SUI they have 5 points(assuming they lose to USA and FIN), and SUI has 3, so if slovakia beats SUI, then SUI needs to beat either USA and Finland for Slovakia not to make it. I don`t see how Slovakia losing 1 point in this game means they have to beat a game and get a point in another

yeah, i forgot sui played germany already somehow.

member 30781

unfortunately could not catch the came. How did Marincin look?

Marincin didn't look good nor bad. I was at the game. He and Jurco were the two main guys I was looking out for on the Slovak team and I didnt even notice Marincin. Not sure what it was, maybe it was an off game or something but I was expecting a lot more and didn't get what I wanted.

Jurco on the other hand is something else. Reminds me of Tarasenko the way he handles the puck, uses his body to get between himself and the puck, knocks off opponents, and his stickhandling. He was, I think the best skater on the ice tonight. The goalies for both teams played phenomenal with the Slovak goalie stopping 47 of 48 shots.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It looks like finally we have the 1st goalie.

Riecicky :yo:

To be honest the Germans only had two or three legitimate scoring chances. They won most of the battles along the boards and threw the puck at the net from all angles, but that was about it. The Slovak goalie made the necessary saves though, except on the goal which resulted from a scramble in front following a rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->