GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • Canada vs. USA • Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick Willy*

Actually, we do pretty decent at those sports, even tennis lately which is shocking. We suck at men's soccer and have very few NFL players. You should start there.

Ummm, no. Genie is nice (and easy on the eyes) and Ranoic is okay (although was he even born in Canada?), and Mike Weir did win a Green Jacket, but you've got several lifetimes to go to catch us in any number of ways.

would you suggest we lay down just because its " their sport" **** NO. You got the wrong country sport fellow

No. But I get a little peeved with Americans who try to bark and holler like they know what they're talking about when they don't (not talking about you specifically).

Most fairweather hockey fans in America don't really realize how much hockey is part of the fabric of their culture. You have to think along the lines of football in Spain or Brazil to have a comparable narrative. Basketball or even baseball in America does not compare to hockey in Canada.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Actually, we do pretty decent at those sports, even tennis lately which is shocking. We suck at men's soccer and have very few NFL players. You should start there.

In tennis, on the men's side and minus S. Williams on the women's side, we are doing better than the U.S. in recent years.

Slick Willy*

In tennis, on the men's side and minus S. Williams on the women's side, we are doing better than the U.S. in recent years.

LMFAO. Seriously?

Are you going to argue Raonic? Genie?

First...win something. Semis and quarters at majors, while nice, will never in a million years be victories. So please, let's not. :sarcasm:

I'm a big fan of Genie and also Raonic, but let's not pretend here like they ever even won one grand slam. Even Roddick at least won one major (and could have won Wimbeldon at least once if not twice if not for Federer).

And don't even for a second say the Bryans aren't VERY relevant - the greatest doubles team EVER - and even last year are still winning majors. :sarcasm:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Ummm, no. Genie is nice (and easy on the eyes) and Ranoic is okay (although was he even born in Canada?), and Mike Weir did win a Green Jacket, but you've got several lifetimes to go to catch us in any number of ways.

No. But I get a little peeved with Americans who try to bark and holler like they know what they're talking about when they don't (not talking about you specifically).

Most fairweather hockey fans in America don't really realize how much hockey is part of the fabric of their culture. You have to think along the lines of football in Spain or Brazil to have a comparable narrative. Basketball or even baseball in America does not compare to hockey in Canada.

I was kind of joking. Historically, we are not even close and I realize that. But recently we have had some decent performances, draft choices, etc.

You are correct about the hockey. I live in a town of under 1000. Tomorrow, to celebrate New Year's, everyone is going to the outdoor rink to skate and after there is a game of shinny. I expect almost everyone I know to be there. This is a regular occurrence, not an event.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site

No but for most here in the USA American football resonates, with most. In most parallels with hockey in Canada, Am football is/ was our youth. We never had the weather to produce ponds for hockey so we had to switch to a sport similar to rugby. And yes I do realize the significance of hockey to all Canadiians, I just wish for an instance that Canadiens realized its importance here in America where a majority of the NHL teams RESIDE.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
No but for most here in the USA American football resonates, with most. In most parallels with hockey in Canada, Am football is/ was our youth. We never had the weather to produce ponds for hockey so we had to switch to a sport similar to rugby. And yes I do realize the significance of hockey to all Canadiians, I just wish for an instance that Canadiens realized its importance here in America where a majority of the NHL teams RESIDE.

We realize it. I have a friend playing in Philly right now for the Flyers, so I get it, FlyersFire. LOL

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

LMFAO. Seriously?

Are you going to argue Raonic? Genie?

First...win something. Semis and quarters at majors, while nice, will never in a million years be victories. So please, let's not. :sarcasm:

I'm a big fan of Genie and also Raonic, but let's not pretend here like they ever even won one grand slam. Even Roddick at least won one major (and could have won Wimbeldon at least once if not twice if not for Federer).

And don't even for a second say the Bryans aren't VERY relevant - the greatest doubles team EVER - and even last year are still winning majors. :sarcasm:

I am not going to try and pretend I know that much about tennis - at least, not since Monica Seles retired. However, haven't we been doing better at the Davis Cup than the U.S.? I also remembered a TV segment in which U.S. players were saying the Canadian program had surpassed them. Again, it has been a decade plus since I followed tennis and never men's so... if you say I am wrong, I am not going to fight it.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
We realize it. I have a friend playing in Philly right now for the Flyers, so I get it, FlyersFire. LOL

No in honesty you don't. There's kids playing STREET hockey in the Philly area who could seriously probably play but because of the problems associated do not event try. I played street hockey in the area and loved it but there is not enough interest. You have no idea tbh

Slick Willy*

I am not going to try and pretend I know that much about tennis - at least, not since Monica Seles retired. However, haven't we been doing better at the Davis Cup than the U.S.? I also remembered a TV segment in which U.S. players were saying the Canadian program had surpassed them. Again, it has been a decade plus since I followed tennis and never men's so... if you say I am wrong, I am not going to fight it.

Your nation has produced some better players recently no doubt and currently the state in America is really stagnant, but even in our relative idol state of affairs the Bryans really have carried the torch on the men's side.

I don't even like the Williams sisters but they are about as dominant as any females in the history of the game. I personally root for Eugenie more than most women at the moment.

Slick Willy*

No in honesty you don't. There's kids playing STREET hockey in the Philly area who could seriously probably play but because of the problems associated do not event try. I played street hockey in the area and loved it but there is not enough interest. You have no idea tbh

Well it's all changing now. Canadians are worried. When you start seeing guys on our NT from AZ, TX, OK, CA it's just craziness.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Well it's all changing now. Canadians are worried. When you start seeing guys on our NT from AZ, TX, OK, CA it's just craziness.

We have been hearing this since the late 1980's. We heard this, in spades, after you won the World Cup in 1996. 20 years later... things haven't changed much - in fact, one could easily argue your 2014 Olympic team was much weaker than the 1996 team.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site

TBH how many Canadians participate in other sports that diverts from hockey? If you would say 80 percent of Americans switched from Am football to hockey, how different hockey would be, for better or worse? Honest question?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

I think you would be more accurate if you said I don't care as opposed to being unaware.

I know that sounds harsh, but if it is such hard work to grow the game, maybe there is a reason for that. Where there is a will there's a way, as the saying goes. I know the game is expensive and you have limited arenas, etc. But so how does that make it different from football up here? Lots of kids love football but can't play due to weather, expensiveness, etc. I am not going to go into a football thread and tell them how arrogant they all are in Texas. That's just the way it is.

Slick Willy*

We have been hearing this since the late 1980. We heard this, in spades, after you won the World Cup in 1996. 20 years later... things haven't changed much - in fact, one could easily argue your 2014 Olympic team was much weaker than the 1996 team.

Really? We have arguably the two best netminders on the planet in Quick and Miller on any given night. Suter was a finalist Norris and most people I've talked to believe Subban won it because of bias. So basically last year we had the Vezina and Norris winners from USA. That alone speaks to improvement.

TBH how many Canadians participate in other sports that diverts from hockey? If you would say 80 percent of Americans switched from Am football to hockey, how different hockey would be, for better or worse? Honest question?

That's part of the way it works. In Canada...that's what they do. Hockey is life.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Really? We have arguably the two best netminders on the planet in Quick and Miller on any given night. Suter was a finalist Norris and most people I've talked to believe Subban won it because of bias. That alone speaks to improvement.

That's part of the way it works. In Canada...that's what they do. Hockey is life.

BUT my ? is WOULD THE USA BE A BIGGER FACTOR in WORLD EVENTS? I say yes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

I am not too worried. A friend of mine moved his kid down to Texas to pay junior in El Paso because he couldn't make it up here, and the guy was also able to become head coach.

He is now saying that his son is being scouted. That is awesome and I am glad for my buddy (who is a terrific guy) and his boy but in our town of 1000, the kid was probably the fifth best player on his local bantam team.

In other words, a super player down there is pretty average here.

When it comes right down to it, it is all about depth. We have it. Take out ten of our junior players from this game, and you could replace them with ten pretty equivalent players without a worry. Exactly like the US and basketball compared to Canada.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I am not too worried. A friend of mine moved his kid down to Texas to pay junior in El Paso because he couldn't make it up here, and the guy was also able to become head coach.

He is now saying that his son is being scouted. That is awesome and I am glad for my buddy (who is a terrific guy) and his boy but in our town of 1000, the kid was probably the fifth best player on his local bantam team.

even in that post your arrogance shows through

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Really? We have arguably the two best netminders on the planet in Quick and Miller on any given night. Suter was a finalist Norris and most people I've talked to believe Subban won it because of bias. So basically last year we had the Vezina and Norris winners from USA. That alone speaks to improvement.

LOL. Neither Quick nor Miller won the Vezina last year. Subban and a bias? He won fair and square. So, you won neither last year yet you claim you won both???

There is always an excuse - like tonight. Bias? Referees? Canadian favouritism? You need to look at the 1996 team and compare it to your 2014 team. My guess, you never even saw the 1996 team play.

Slick Willy*

He is now saying that his son is being scouted. That is awesome and I am glad for my buddy (who is a terrific guy) and his boy but in our town of 1000, the kid was probably the fifth best player on his bantam team.

You're telling me this? I'm from the East Side of St. Paul - the Mecca of USA hockey.

I'm still a little ticked that only two of our boys are on this squad. :sarcasm:

Slick Willy*

LOL. Neither Quick nor Miller won the Vezina. Subban and a bias? So, you won neither last year yet you claim you won both???

There is always an excuse - like tonight. Bias? Referees? Canadian favouritism? You need to look at the 1996 team and compare it to your 2014 team. My guess, you never even saw the 1996 team play.

Did you see me argue in this thread otherwise? I came in to tell my fellow Yanks to put a cork in it - I watched the game, and even before I knew we would not likely win.

For anyone to say we won or outplayed the Canucks tonight is gibberish.

As for the '96 team, I don't recall if I did see that event. I don't believe they played it Stateside back then. I don't even think it was televised here. Can't recall. I was like 14 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->