Post-Game Talk (GBU): Groundhog Day

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I just want a fun team, scoring is fun. I am tired of cheering for the team thats the ass end of HFBoards and League wide. They deserved every boo they got.

Congratulations Boston, you just tore down an entire fan base in one game because f*** you, we hate losing to you and your Marchand rat.

Reactions: Awebz and Fearnot

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
I don’t agree. I don’t think there is a single player in this team that is happy losing. I think Housley is the guy who is ****ing this team up. He couldn’t even adjust to the Bruins clogging up the neautral zone. I don’t think he learned anything after last year. He is the constant.
Bogosian probably doesn't care and is more than happy with however the game goes as long as he gets paid and can hit the river.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just want a fun team, scoring is fun. I am tired of cheering for the team thats the ass end of HFBoards and League wide. They deserved every boo they got.

Congratulations Boston, you just tore down an entire fan base in one game because **** you, we hate losing to you and your Marchand rat.

Tore down an entire fan base? They did no such thing.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Some more comments. Defence was not the key to the loss. The only really bad play by a defence man that led to a goal was a Dahlin mistake--who otherwise played well. Beaulieu and Nelson actually played better than I expected. Risto and Scandella started off slow but Risto played well in the third. Eichel quit too often when he gave up the puck-which he did a lot. I blame him for 2 goals. He still lallygagged getting off the ice when the Bruins were breaking into our end and Jack's replacement was trying to get on the ice and into the play. Reinhart made some good defensive plays and played well in the O zone. Hutton might have gotten one but both D were out of the play, Reinhart took the guy in front of the net leaving the shooter for Hutton and it was a good shot. Passing was dreadful.. Just looked like a jittery team who could not get it going. A lot of the season ticket holders around me were very unhappy.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Tore down an entire fan base? They did no such thing.
fans were booing, one game in and have you read these forums.. the positivity has completely been ripped from the fans of this team.

not that I was ever positive but the positive posters see all the bad with this team now, thanks to the Bruins.

You're on are an islander with maybe 2 other posters right now that think everything is fine.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bogosian probably doesn't care and is more than happy with however the game goes as long as he gets paid and can hit the river.
These guys care, even if they don't know how to channel that, they suck, or their coach doesn't know how to put them in a position to succeed.
fans were booing and have you read these forums.. the positivity has completely been ripped from the fans of this team.

not I was never positive but the positive posters see all the bad with this team.

The fans have been booing for years

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
This! Housley deserves to be fired! Team completely out played and looked emotionless! Sick of watching this crap!
But but we have this leadership group and a brand new 10 million dollar a year captain!

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
They may have the best defensive shut down line in the league but the Capitals exposed them and their goaltending. Rask hasn't exactly been star studded his entire career, he fluctuates too much, Backes isn't the player he once was.
Washington hit them at every turn. They forechecked the Boston D and won the puck battles. We seldom hit their D and seldom won the puck battles.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I totally get people being tired of losing and wanting at least a goal, I get it. Trust me I do. But there are two teams in a game. One team wanted and arguably needed this more. Boston wasn’t going to lose tonight. No chance. What did people expect? This is a team that took out the leafs last year. They already got lit up worse then we did tonight. The second Boston lost seven nothing I knew it didn’t matter how good we played. Not saying we were good but at At the end of the day while the team looked lost they did have fire at times they just didn’t put it together and showed signs of rust. As if it was the first game of the season it somthing. Boston lost worse in their first gamr. At least this team showed signs of talent at times.

I’d be worried if we lose to the rangers.

But losing to a great team who got embarrassed in their opener and were highly emotional and had a goalie in halak play like it was 2010?

Meh.

I’ll be worried and mad like I said Saturday.

Teams can build off momentum they built outshooting the bruins 15-4 in the third or whatever it was until the empty net.

We will see how that goes.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Pathetic, wasn't once entertained. Didn't help the braves sh^t the bed just as bad. What a wasted day.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Washington hit them at every turn. They forechecked the Boston D and won the puck battles. We seldom hit their D and seldom won the puck battles.
I am over it, I just hope these Sabres feel bad about it and feel like Boston did today after last night when facing the Rangers.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I am over it, I just hope these Sabres feel bad about it and feel like Boston did today after last night when facing the Rangers.

I feel that’s what’s going to happen.

I think this is good for us in a strange way.

It’s not the same (at all) but remember back in December 2005 losing to Ottawa 10-4? Then for the next two years we were the best team in hockey arguably. So no one would of thought that was a good thing at the time either.

In this league with so much parity you never want to play a good team after they lose, especially a blowout loss, the very next night when they had an opportunity to erase the bad taste in their mouths and also have a Marchand type line go minus two each and shutout.

The fact the rangers just marginally lost tonight is a great thing.

They won’t be as desperate as we will.

However the only thing that scares me is they have a goalie capable of stealing any game.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I’m not going too give up on Housley yet. Look at Jared Bednar last year in Colorado . The guy only had 48 points as a rookie and than the team came out of nowhere and made the playoffs . There for I’m not giving up on Housley just yet. We do have 9 new players and we haven’t played for a week. Not trying to make excuses but it’s a long season and there’s lots of time too get things together and with 9 new players it’s going to take time. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

I personally thought they had a really good game after the first period , yes they didn’t get a lot of scoring chances but the puck possession and the cycle game was really good

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
fans were booing, one game in and have you read these forums.. the positivity has completely been ripped from the fans of this team.

not that I was ever positive but the positive posters see all the bad with this team now, thanks to the Bruins.

Fans on this little forum is absolutely not an “entire fan base” it’s probably 1% of a fan base.

And no, I stayed away from the GDT after I left for the game today. Which was about 90 mins before the game started. Had a nice dinner out with the wife and we went down there.

Were fans around me at the arena discouraged? Yes!
Were they venomous and hate filled? Like 3 or 4 drunk loudmouths.
Were they booing? Once I noticed it. For about 15-20 seconds and it was perhaps 30-40% of the crowd. I’ve heard much louder and longer boos in prior years :dunno:

Didn’t really make me go ... ZOMG the entire arena is booing and they are soooo pissed off!

It was and is far far far from “an entire fan base”.

I’m still optimistic, while still not liking certain things about players or the team or coaching.

Would it be in some fans best interest to follow and love only successful teams? Less hand wringing and stress. :laugh:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I don't know what bull**** Housley said in the presser, but he's now on a nuclear clock of about 20 games, and judging by the last coach firing, so is Botterill.

Botterill isn’t going anywhere anytime soon , Housley on the other hand very well could be if things don’t get better in a hurry. Pegula isn’t going to fire Botterill when he is in year two of his plan . Housley though if things don’t get better by the 30 game Mark is a goner

Reactions: ZZamboni

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Botterill isn’t going anywhere anytime soon , Housley on the other hand very well could be if things don’t get better in a hurry. Pegula isn’t going to fire Botterill when he is in year two of his plan . Housley though if things don’t get better by the 30 game Mark is a goner

I agree with that completely. Pegulas and JB will give Housley a good chunk of the season to right the ship if the team isn’t doing well. He’s not getting fired after 5, 10, 15 games.

And JB is 100% safe for the entire season and maybe even into next years draft. At the minimum.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

It's almost like 2 different sports...look at the beautiful elegance in the which Pens and Caps execute o-zone play. Guys are constantly rotating around with their heads up looking to make a play. The defense is activated, and when they get the puck at the blue line they beautifully walk it looking for a better shooting angle. This creates a shit ton of space for players and its super effective at generating quality chances (**look at all the space they have in the offensive zone!!!**) Dumped-in pucks are ferociously tracked down and defenders are heavily pressured when retrieving pucks which sometimes leads to costly mistakes (Oshie goal).

Then go back and watch the Sabres game tonight...what a tragedy. Forecheckers are constantly beat to dumped in pucks which leads to an easy transition for the opposing team. When we do establish possession, guys are stationary. The defenders never leave the blue line, and are only open where the blue line and boards meet...which only gives them the option for an extremely low % shot, a prayer dump in on the net, or to dump it in the corner. When a forward has the puck down low, his only option is to pass it to the previously mentioned stationary defenseman, throw a prayer pass to the slot/front of the net to a stationary forward covered by 2-3 defenders, or dump it back behind the net.

Its a f***ing terrible strategy and is the sole reason why we lost the game tonight. We had 2, maybe 3 scoring chances the ENTIRE GAME. That's insanely bad. 2018 Week 4 Buffalo Bills offense bad. Jack Hughes 1st overall bad. Make a hockey-crazy city start to lose its love for the hometown NHL team after another season of this bad. And the worst part about it is that there are coaches being paid millions of dollars to adjust their strategy yet its no different than last year. This development of effective offensive zone strategy is going to be the deciding factor in whether we can be successful in the Eichel/Dahlin era. Adjust your tactics Phil

(some examples of the Sabres sucking at 5 v 5 @ 0:33 | 2:32 | 6:40 | 7:15 | 7:49)

* sorry for the rant I just get so frustrated watching this team sometimes haha

Reactions: Goathead

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
I walked away from the Bills more than a decade ago and haven’t looked back. I watched less than half of the Sabres games last year and haven’t bought a peice of merch in years (used to get a jersey a year and several hats/shirts.) teams are always trying to figure out the business angle of spend. What’s the tipping point in their prices that causes people to say no. The smart teams look at time as the key component, not dollars spent. At what point is my time better spent doing something else.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m not going too give up on Housley yet. Look at Jared Bednar last year in Colorado . The guy only had 48 points as a rookie and than the team came out of nowhere and made the playoffs . There for I’m not giving up on Housley just yet. We do have 9 new players and we haven’t played for a week. Not trying to make excuses but it’s a long season and there’s lots of time too get things together and with 9 new players it’s going to take time. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

I personally thought they had a really good game after the first period , yes they didn’t get a lot of scoring chances but the puck possession and the cycle game was really good
Not a good excuse, stop using it.

Reactions: Goathead

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The biggest takeaway from me going to the game was Casey looked like a natural center. He looked better then Eichel taking the puck up the middle. Reinhart is also so underrated, he was great as usual.
Casey did look good but dumb Phil kept matching Eichel's line up against Bergeron who shut down Matthews and that Leafs line all playoffs last year.

We need a shut down line to put out against teams top lines to give Eichel easier matchups and Mittlestadt even easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad