Groin Strains - Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
For the 2nd week running I've gone and strained my groin.

However this time I've realised how I've done it. It's something to do with when I take a slap shot, so obviously I'm doing something wrong. (I've only been playin hockey for a few months now) I shoot left and strain my groin at the top of my left leg, so hopefully that should give you some clues as to what I'm doing wrong.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how I can avoid doing this next week.

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
Oh man, when I first read that, I thought you were talking about groin stains.

Anyway, if you've only been playing hockey for a few months, what do you do before games? Do you stretch out the groin/hip area before playing?

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Air said:
Oh man, when I first read that, I thought you were talking about groin stains.

Anyway, if you've only been playing hockey for a few months, what do you do before games? Do you stretch out the groin/hip area before playing?

Yeah of course, small warm up then stretch.

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
Apply heat to your groin,then stretch it out. I strained myself there once,and everyone was telling me to get surgery. I have a few papers of stretches for the groin area,would you like them?

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
Wingmanrob said:
But still, I must be doing something wrong with my shooting to keep straining my groin??

Not necessarily. Once you strain it, it's easier to strain it again until it fully heals. That could take a couple months. I pulled a groin a few years ago and kept restraining it every time I got into my car.

By the way, the best treatment for a strained groin is rest until you are pain free. Apply ice in the acute phase (first 48 hours after injury). Gentle stretching is helpful but should not be painful. Heat can help loosen the muscle before activites. For severe groin pulls (normal activity such as walking, sitting, sleeping causes pain) then surgery may be required to reattach the torn ends of the muscle.

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Jagr used to rub Peanut Butter on his when he had all his groin problems.

On a serious note though, id do the heat and stretching thing. The reason you are having problems is that you are using muscles you wouldn't use if you didnt play hockey.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wingmanrob said:
But still, I must be doing something wrong with my shooting to keep straining my groin??

Probably not...you probably did not give your groin enough time to heal and rushed back on it. If its a 95% your still a the huge risk zone for making it much worse again. Cant rush it..that the biggest thing.

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
The biggest thing is to let it heal and stretch it out before games. Every pre-game, I sit on a bench before I even step onto the ice, and I do as big as split as I can (it hurts a little), and HOLD IT for at least ten seconds. If you don't hold it, it won't help much. After I step onto the ice, I drop down to my knees and stretch the groin area again, doing as big a split as I can again, and this time doing the leg kicks that goalies do in warmups. I find that stretching the groin area and the hamstring area (lunges while gliding) are the biggest keys.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
Wingmanrob said:
For the 2nd week running I've gone and strained my groin.

However this time I've realised how I've done it. It's something to do with when I take a slap shot, so obviously I'm doing something wrong. (I've only been playin hockey for a few months now) I shoot left and strain my groin at the top of my left leg, so hopefully that should give you some clues as to what I'm doing wrong.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how I can avoid doing this next week.
*I am not a doctor* but, if you've strained it twice in two weeks, STOP PRACTICING YOUR SLAPSHOT - you're only reinjuring yourself. Since you're new to the game, your injury is probably a result of your body not being used to twisting and pulling in new directions - not necessarily poor form.

Get yourself to a sports physiotherapist NOW (bonus points if your physio knows about hockey). Your physio should be able to give you some stretches and exercises to strengthen the areas most stressed.

And as a hockey aside, the big slapshot looks sexy, but a good quick wristshot is far, far superior.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I strained my left one (I shoot right) a few years ago and it didn't heal the entire season. It wasn't as bad because it didn't bother me shooting so I just lived with it. Just getting in and out of the car I would stretch it wrong and it hurt contantly for 8 months. Since then I make sure and stretch really well and everything has been fine. That is until I read this thread last week and I strained my right one last week stretching before I played. It's one of the worst ones I've had. I played on it and it hurt like hell to skate hard but I was just playing pick up so I cruised around but I decided to take a slap shot and it felt like someone shot me. (yes, I've been shot so I do know how that feels) So I don't think it has to do with your form. Like someone said previously I think it's just your body doing someting new. I've been playing for 35 years and taken thousands of slap shots and if you do them correctly you do put a huge strain on your groin so don't change the way you're shooting just avoid slap shots until it heals and then stretch really well beforehand.

ToothlessAggression

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
I used to be a goalie, I strained my groin once several years ago, I re-injured it pretty much every game for the rest of the season. Ever since then I have been really prone to groin pulls. I am a forward now, but I still end up straining it about 2-3 times a season.

So yeah, don't do like me. Take a week or two off and let it heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad