Gritty Accused of Punching 13 Year Old (UPD: No Criminal Charges to be Pursued)

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't buy this.

This is too extreme, even though it is the Flyers we are talking about.

Punching Santa Claus - Sure

Dawg, who punched Santa Claus? :laugh:

Urban legends got a hell of a way of developing over time. Eagles fans 50 years ago threw some snowballs at a drunk guy in a Santa suit and all of a sudden some dude in Europe is talking about Santa getting punched.

FreddyX

Jan 15, 2020
Europe

Urban legends got a hell of a way of developing over time. Eagles fans 50 years ago threw some snowballs at a drunk guy in a Santa suit and all of a sudden some dude in Europe is talking about Santa getting punched.
Can't get everything right. That one is on me :laugh:

Reactions: Rich Nixon

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
So this Dad seems to be claiming he saw what happened but did nothing right, then and there? You know like punch Gritty back or notify authorities that may have been present?

Weird story on different levels. As if the Philly police don't have anything better to do. I mean if Gritty did this then sure, but the "story" is bizarroland. Should lighten things up for the police department though. This really only could happen in Philly.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This is absolute BS. Nobody saw it including all the other fans in line or security and the dad didn't say anything at the time and only sent en email after seeing that the photo wasn't up to the standard he expected?

As Brandon walked away, Gritty got out of his chair, “took a running start," and “punched my son as hard as he could," Greenwell said Wednesday.

Greenwell emailed officials at Comcast Spectacor, first complaining of the “lousy picture” with the mascot who didn’t look at the camera. Then he raised the “more serious and disappointing” concern.

Imagine your 13 year old son getting full on punched as hard as possible with a running start and not only do you not immediately raise concern with the staff at the event or call the police but your email to the team a week after the incident starts out complaining about Gritty not making proper eye contact with a camera.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is absolute BS. Nobody saw it including all the other fans in line or security and the dad didn't say anything at the time and only sent en email after seeing that the photo wasn't up to the standard he expected?

Imagine your 13 year old son getting full on punched as hard as possible with a running start and not only do you not immediately raise concern with the staff at the event or call the police but your email to the team a week after the incident starts out complaining about Gritty not making proper eye contact with a camera.

I don't know what's up with this dad. That's the part that's basically a dead giveaway that it's a lie. If my son was assaulted by a grown adult my response would not be to wait a few days and complain by e-mail not would that be anyone's response.

BUT I also don't see what the point of him lying is here. Claims no lawyer. Wants something from team, but team offered him something and he said no. So what's the endgame?

Reactions: StoneHands

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

He has googley eyes , how does one make eye contact with googley eyes?

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Pics or it did not happen 13 year old. If this were in any other city, I would not believe the kid and the father, but since it occurred in Philly I am 99.98# sure it happened.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I don't know what's up with this dad. That's the part that's basically a dead giveaway that it's a lie. If my son was assaulted by a grown adult my response would not be to wait a few days and complain by e-mail not would that be anyone's response.

BUT I also don't see what the point of him lying is here. Claims no lawyer. Wants something from team, but team offered him something and he said no. So what's the endgame?
My guess is, he's pissed that he waited in line for an hour and when he got the photo back of Gritty looking the other direction he lost it. Sometimes people get so lost in their own lies that they start to believe them and I think that's probably what happened here. He wasn't happy with the response to his email so now he's going to push it further. It's sad to be honest.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
For some reason I don’t believe his story. Just the idea of a big bright mascot charging and assaulting his son, multiple people would probably have talked about that.

Weird how the event people recalled “someone” repeatedly hitting gritty on the head. I can believe that latter if the former is a lie. Sounds like a brat family.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018

You're right. They never punched Santa. But they did punch police horses. They also somehow managed to transition from throwing snowballs to throwing batteries, cheesesteaks, iceballs and full beer cans at real people. Not to mention intentionally vomiting on an 11-year old girl, beating up a mascot, cheering a career ending spinal injury, and booing Santa on multiple occasions.

So yeah. The throwing snowballs at Santa may get a little blown out of proportion. But the reputation is earned and well deserved. Brotherly love, amirite?

All that said, I'm still team Gritty on this one. Highly doubt this actually happened. And if it did, there's way more to the story (similar to the context of the snowballs at Santa story) that we haven't heard yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->